Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
I witnessed what might be the ultimate example of FCM yesterday waiting to board in ATL. A lady walked up to the GA and asked how much it would be for the four of them (husband and two kids with her) to upgrade to FC. GA said it's $319 per person. She said she would take it. They had all of row one for the flight to SJU. Those were some expensive Miller Light's she and husband had on the flight.
In this scenario I don't understand why they wouldn't just book F in the first place...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
I witnessed what might be the ultimate example of FCM yesterday waiting to board in ATL. A lady walked up to the GA and asked how much it would be for the four of them (husband and two kids with her) to upgrade to FC. GA said it's $319 per person. She said she would take it. They had all of row one for the flight to SJU. Those were some expensive Miller Light's she and husband had on the flight.
A foole & his money,
be soone at debate:
which after with sorow,
repents him to late.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
MSY to ATL...

After PDB, as we are taxiing out, lead FA announces "There are six of you drinking Woodfords. That is all we have on board. They only give us two bottles per cart. There is no more Woodfords available."

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I have heard this 3/cart, 6 total BS. Typically on out and back flights to ATL.

Snack basket finally gets passed after the "We are making our approach into ATL announcement."

Contents... peanuts, pretzels, and Biscoff... nothing else.

And, this is supposed to convince folks that FC is some worth paying extra for?

Whatever the suits on Va Ave are smoking... can I have some?
DAY-ATL and ATL-DCA were both well-stocked yesterday. They didn't run out of anything, and the snack basket was quite good (hummus crackers, lime tarts, salted caramels).
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
DAY-ATL and ATL-DCA were both well-stocked yesterday. They didn't run out of anything, and the snack basket was quite good (hummus crackers, lime tarts, salted caramels).
Yes. The salted caramels were back yesterday. Recent baskets had been chocolate-deficient.

Huzzah!!!

But catering should never be limited to 6 Woodfords per flight.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Yes. The salted caramels were back yesterday. Recent baskets had been chocolate-deficient.

Huzzah!!!

But catering should never be limited to 6 Woodfords per flight.
me with Bailey's. Supposedly they only cater two bottles per cart. I've been on flights twice to London in J where they have ran out of Bailey's.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
I bit for the first time on a FCM fare. My SO and I booked a P fare to DEN for $90 more than the main cabin fare we wanted to book. We mainly booked the P fare due to the ease of SDC, and its sorta a transcon flight.
That's ... not FCM, you just booked a first class seat.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by pvn
That's ... not FCM, you just booked a first class seat.
"FCM" = DL getting a $$ premium, however small, for an FC seat from someone who was otherwise going to purchase coach (and therefore taking the seat out of UG inventory, where it may have been occupied during the flight but at no $$ benefit to DL)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:30 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
"FCM" = DL getting a $$ premium, however small, for an FC seat from someone who was otherwise going to purchase coach (and therefore taking the seat out of UG inventory, where it may have been occupied during the flight but at no $$ benefit to DL)
But if you're going so far as to apply that term to bookings it's completely useless. You might as well say that elites are entitled to the entire first class cabin as a birthright.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
But if you're going so far as to apply that term to bookings it's completely useless. You might as well say that elites are entitled to the entire first class cabin as a birthright.
No one is saying that.

What some are saying is that DL selling FC for $19 over the coach ticket cost makes a farce of the FF program.

"Upgrades are provided on a space available basis, but we are going to ensure that no space is available. Oh, by the way, we appreciate your loyalty."
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... DL selling FC for $19 over the coach ticket cost makes a farce of the FF program.

"Upgrades are provided on a space available basis, but we are going to do our damndest to ensure that no space is available because we are a for-profit business and have decided that when Sandy Somebody out there is willing to pay some amount of money for that F/J seat we'd really really rather take Sandy's money than give the seat away for nothing to one of our Medallion members. Oh, by the way, Medallions, we appreciate your loyalty."
clarification
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
FCM's have got really good for me lately. A few ( price listed is additional cost over paid economy fare )...

- CLE-NYC - $69 RT
- CLE-YVR - Refund of $61 RT ( had to call in because I saw the lower fare an had to get this re-priced over the phone )
- CAK-SJC - $59 RT ( was from new W fare ).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
This is what I was referring to, I logged in intending to purchase a main cabin ticket, but noticed the incremental cost to F was minimal and worth securing a F seat, rather than play the upgrade game.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

clarification
Not sure whether you are supporting me or chiding me (subtlety can be hell sometimes)... but, either way, it's still funny.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"piling on" would perhaps have been more accurate
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
I'm having a hard time leaving delta! I've decided the program doesn't do much for me any more, and I'm just going to buy what makes sense.

Then I pull up BOS-LAX, and delta will fly me there nonstop in first for $425. Call it FCM, call it just buying the fare, whatever. I took it. Delta is the most generous with the Y->F premium these days. I can often pay $80-150 one way for the A/P fare, where I often see $200-300 on AA/UA.

Keeping at least GM seems worth it for free SDC on these fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.