Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The offers seem to be given for tickets purchased from DL, not OLTAs or corporate travel agencies.
offers that pop up from the reservation page before T-24, yes.

offers at/during/after OLCI i have gotten several times via my corp bookings made on concur.

and as for $275 MSP-SMF yeah i probably might have taken that one too, that is a tough upgrade on the A320.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
It sometimes seems to be random. You don't have to hunt for it as it would show at the top of the reservation if you review my trips. Also, if you check the seat chart it will show what you can purchase (FC and/or C+).

If you have had a reservation and never had an offer, I think it's unlikely that you will get one closer to departure.
Seems that way. Here at T-2, still nothing. Nothing on the check in kiosk either. Oh well, no big deal. I have an empty seat next to me per the seat map *knocks on wood*.

Edit: GA just announced that they failed to cater the first class meals at DTW so no dinner in F tonight. No big loss apparently.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Feb 19, 2016 at 4:59 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
OK, I may be finally coming around on FCM. I have an upcoming flight that the Y fare for the times I need are $60 more expensive than the cheapest G fare, the outbound time is fine but the return is 10:30am vs. 5pm. But there are multiple flights and with the SDC option probably can easily get on the 5pm, just have to wait until the day before to find out.

But this wasn't a stupid $1 per minute thing, it just makes economic sense to play the SDC game versus paying Y for guarantee flight schedule.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
How about spending almost $250 for an hour or two, MSP-DTW or vv? That's what DL is currently offering to me.
Call me cheap, but I'd only UG on that route for $20.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Call me cheap, but I'd only UG on that route for $20.
Now my offer is up to $580 to upgrade MSP-DTW and DTW-MSP, with no change observed on the seat maps to explain the price increase. AARGH!

Scheduled flight time is one hour and forty minutes eastbound and two hours westbound, but IME the flights don't take this much time--although if we add an excursion (detour) to the de-icing station, who knows?

Is $20 the cost of what you'd eat and drink in FC on these flights? However, now that drinks and the enhanced snack basket are free in C+, $20 for a bigger seat with the lavatory parade could still seem expensive.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 29, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Now my offer is up to $580 to upgrade MSP-DTW and DTW-MSP, with change observed o on the seat maps to explain the rice increase. AARGH!

Scheduled flight time is one hour and forty minutes eastbound and two hours westbound, but IME the flights don't take this much time--although if we add an excursion (detour) to the de-icing station, who knows?

Is $20 the cost of what you'd eat and drink in FC on these flights? However, now that drinks and the enhanced snack basket are free in C+, $20 for a bigger seat with the lavatory parade could still seem expensive.
UPDATE: I just got a free elite upgrade today at the window for the outbound portion. Amazing. I almost forgot to look as I didn't expect to see an upgrade much before the gate.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Just booked ORD-MSP round trip for late April/early May and the difference between coach and first was $118, and that was the offer at booking. After ticketing the offer was $144! I didn't take either.

EDIT: I actually took the $118 after calling in, I forgot I have to check a bag, so $34 each way for a better seat. I'm fine with that.

Last edited by United747; Feb 29, 2016 at 11:27 am Reason: see above
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I am almost done with Delta, I am done buying tickets on Delta (unless something changes dramatically). I have 3 round trips left, with 10 segments. So far this year I have flown 11 segments, with 0 upgrades. I was number 12 this morning on DEN to MSP after all the upgrades cleared as a Diamond. The closest I have gotten is ORD to MSP I was number 2 after they all cleared. Going to DEN last Thursday F was sold out 10 days in advance. Going to Maui in less than 3 weeks, only a few seats remain in F for MSP to LAX, and LAX to OGG. Coming back OGG to SEA is full in F. No reason to be loyal. I am facing more connections with American, but my average fair is 15% less now too. This first class monetization will keep getting worse until Delta loses enough of it's loyal flyers. The path they are on, it will difficult to get Comfort+ unless you book out super far in advance as a Diamond or Plat, Gold might as well get a hardy handshake when they check in.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Now my offer is up to $580 to upgrade MSP-DTW and DTW-MSP, with change observed o on the seat maps to explain the rice increase. AARGH!

They don't offer the enhanced snack basket on shorter flights, I asked on my MSP to DEN, and the flight attendant said only for flights with scheduled flight times of 2 hours or more.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:19 pm

UPDATE: I just got a free elite upgrade today at the window for the outbound portion. Amazing. I almost forgot to look as I didn't expect to see an upgrade much before the gate.
ANOTHER UPDATE: This time I looked and got the upgrade at my window again. So by having some uncertainty and getting window instead of aisle seats, I saved almost $600. Thanks DL.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I checked in today for an ATL-DCA flight tomorrow, and was offered the upgrade for somewhere $140-$160. I declined, and less than 3 hours late the auto upgrade email came through.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by mspreh
I am almost done with Delta, I am done buying tickets on Delta (unless something changes dramatically). I have 3 round trips left, with 10 segments. So far this year I have flown 11 segments, with 0 upgrades. I was number 12 this morning on DEN to MSP after all the upgrades cleared as a Diamond. The closest I have gotten is ORD to MSP I was number 2 after they all cleared. Going to DEN last Thursday F was sold out 10 days in advance. Going to Maui in less than 3 weeks, only a few seats remain in F for MSP to LAX, and LAX to OGG. Coming back OGG to SEA is full in F. No reason to be loyal. I am facing more connections with American, but my average fair is 15% less now too. This first class monetization will keep getting worse until Delta loses enough of it's loyal flyers. The path they are on, it will difficult to get Comfort+ unless you book out super far in advance as a Diamond or Plat, Gold might as well get a hardy handshake when they check in.
MSP-DEN (and v.v.) is a very hard route to even get a seat assignment (let alone an upgrade). I am #2 on the upgrade list for tomorrow's 9am flight on a full Y fare as a diamond and don't have a seat assignment in economy either.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
ANOTHER UPDATE: This time I looked and got the upgrade at my window again. So by having some uncertainty and getting window instead of aisle seats, I saved almost $600. Thanks DL.
Sweet ^^
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kenn0223
MSP-DEN (and v.v.) is a very hard route to even get a seat assignment (let alone an upgrade). I am #2 on the upgrade list for tomorrow's 9am flight on a full Y fare as a diamond and don't have a seat assignment in economy either.
I fly out to DEN at least 4 times a year, this last trip was the first time that I did not get an upgrade since 2006, and I didn't get it either way. 3 Years ago, my Parents went on the same flights as me but different PNR, my Dad was Silver at the time while my Mom had no statice, and both my Mom and Dad were upgraded both ways. My wife who travels with me 1 or 2 times is Plat now, but was Gold on most, and I was still getting the upgrades with her on my PNR, so we were upgraded at the Gold or Plat level on many of the trips.

So my experience up until this last trip was actually where I thought it was very easy to get the upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying MSN-DTW-RDU next month on a V fare. My brother with no status is flying MSN-DTW-BWI also on a V fare. When we booked, FCM was about $229 each. It dropped to $109 today and we both bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.