FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Rude FF gets his due... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1092050-rude-ff-gets-his-due.html)

DLNYC Jun 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 14186229)
I would try reading the post again when you're sober. It's very clear.

;)

I just wish somebody would tell the story in a concise manner. Was it #2 who ended up with the upgrade? It wasn't #1 right?

Evan! Jun 24, 2010 4:25 am

Originally Posted by DLNYC (Post 14186311)
I just wish somebody would tell the story in a concise manner. Was it #2 who ended up with the upgrade? It wasn't #1 right?

From the OP: "She proceeded to tell #2 on the list the FC seat was open for him to take."

However, #1 was told he would be flown to Aruba if he would just confess that he was rude to the FA. But since his translator was the girlfriend of a cop that was sleeping with the Judge who owned some stock in a Gulf shore drilling operation the whole flight might need to start from scratch. In the meantime the captain was asked to resign because of a scathing interview he did with FlyerTalk magazine which was deemed to be undermining the entire operation by Richard Anderson.

Are we clear?

JA_AK Jun 24, 2010 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Evan! (Post 14186989)
From the OP: "She proceeded to tell #2 on the list the FC seat was open for him to take."

However, #1 was told he would be flown to Aruba if he would just confess that he was rude to the FA. But since his translator was the girlfriend of a cop that was sleeping with the Judge who owned some stock in a Gulf shore drilling operation the whole flight might need to start from scratch. In the meantime the captain was asked to resign because of a scathing interview he did with FlyerTalk magazine which was deemed to be undermining the entire operation by Richard Anderson.

Are we clear?

No...I still don't understand why there were chickens and turtles on the plane. And why was #1 yelling at them?

AJDelvarno Jun 24, 2010 7:09 am

Drat! I came back here this morning hoping someone…anyone…would have provided a clear explanation of what happened. So, about all I can figure out is that the guy on the phone snagged the upgrade. Am I right so far?

Moebius01 Jun 24, 2010 8:17 am

Originally Posted by BDG8R (Post 14186012)
People need to get off some high horses here, in particular, turning off electronics. Sure it's a rule, so is speed limit. Are you all equally worked up when I zoom 5MPH+ (or most times 10MPH+) past you on the right lane (cause you are hogging the left, following the rule)? There is a much higher likelihood of danger going over speed limit than keeping my cell phone on after boarding door has closed (as an ex-EE I know how far apart the frequency bands are for cellphone vs. air traffic communication/navigation and have done it in about 150 flights in last one year, no DL crashes yet). When was the last time a plane actually had an accident from electronics? It's really not that big of a deal.

Same goes with phone conversations (reminds me off the clip from She Is Out of My League). You really don't know what's going on in the other end. It might actually be that he is a big deal (or the guy on the other side), or its something important. For example, the current partner I work under. His calendar is solid booked 7AM-8/9PM most days. If he calls, and the door is closing, I'll sure take the call. Similarly if client calls him cause things are hitting the fan, I am sure he will pick up as well. If we are taking 2-5 flights a week, which we do, it's very likely to happen. There are actually things that can't wait 2-3 hours, especially when a vague rule is in place.

Then I have seen another partner also calling home to check on his kids right before the door closes for the last flight of the day. He hadn't seen them in 4 days and won't see that night.

I'd actually sympathize with the guy who lost his F seat, no one knows what kind of situation he was in. I am pretty sure losing a F seat in one flight is not going to break his heart, assuming he flies enough.

So basically, you're saying that (assuming the FAs were on their job and making sure the captain doesn't push back until the phones are off), that it's OK to delay 180 other people because your call is important?

Sorry, but if the partner is important enough that things can't wait the 2-3 hours, or that anyone he calls needs to break FAA regulations to talk to him, then he needs to charter a private jet.

BDG8R Jun 24, 2010 8:29 am

Actually I'd say stop getting worked up because there is a cell phone on, it's not the end of the world. There are thousands more on in the terminal 15 ft away, and signals do travel far, if its that damaging for you. Sure it's a rule, but this one along with carry-on liquids are by far the worst. And TSA actually doesn't even get all that worked up if I have a few stray ones in my laptop bag.

KenfromDE Jun 24, 2010 8:31 am

Originally Posted by AJDelvarno (Post 14187456)
Drat! I came back here this morning hoping someone…anyone…would have provided a clear explanation of what happened. So, about all I can figure out is that the guy on the phone snagged the upgrade. Am I right so far?

Wrong! Just read post #1. FA went to upgrade passenger. The jerk was still on a phone and was nasty to FA, who then gave the UG to #2 on list. Karma!

DLNYC Jun 24, 2010 8:46 am

Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 14187843)
Wrong! Just read post #1. FA went to upgrade passenger. The jerk was still on a phone and was nasty to FA, who then gave the UG to #2 on list. Karma!

But what about the cat? Did the cat belong to #2?

Gargoyle Jun 24, 2010 8:49 am

Originally Posted by DLNYC (Post 14187906)
But what about the cat? Did the cat belong to #2?

The cat made #2 on the rude pax.

(and with that comment this thread officially goes OMNI)

KenfromDE Jun 24, 2010 9:53 am

I think a read the cat was in the hat!

PS Very entertaining thread!

generaltao Jun 24, 2010 11:07 am

Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 14187843)

Hmm.. I *thought* I understood, but now I'm all confused again. I think I need more celery.

AJDelvarno Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by generaltao (Post 14188695)
Hmm.. I *thought* I understood, but now I'm all confused again. I think I need more celery.

See what I mean? I think the takeaway from this is if you talk on the phone and yell at the FA, you get an upgrade. Enough said.

Moebius01 Jun 24, 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by BDG8R (Post 14187831)
Actually I'd say stop getting worked up because there is a cell phone on, it's not the end of the world. There are thousands more on in the terminal 15 ft away, and signals do travel far, if its that damaging for you. Sure it's a rule, but this one along with carry-on liquids are by far the worst. And TSA actually doesn't even get all that worked up if I have a few stray ones in my laptop bag.

When they change the rule, that's fine. But until that point, if I have sit there (which I have) and watch the FA standing in front of the PAX telling him the captain can not push back from the gate until he gets off his phone, thus delaying me and the other PAX on board, then I'll get worked up.

KenfromDE Jun 24, 2010 11:50 am

I finally got the whole, true story. The FA was trying to eject the passenger from his favorite seat, 23F, and force him to sit in FC. He called the elite line to complain and was told by the FA to turn off the phone. He tried to explain to the FA, who was hard of hearing, and therefore had to yell. Meanwhile the cat under the neighboring seat got out of the cage and ate his celery. The empty first class seat was given to the cat and the flight was mouse free. ;)

BobRoss Jun 24, 2010 11:51 am

Originally Posted by BDG8R (Post 14186012)
There is a much higher likelihood of danger going over speed limit than keeping my cell phone on after boarding door has closed (as an ex-EE I know how far apart the frequency bands are for cellphone vs. air traffic communication/navigation and have done it in about 150 flights in last one year, no DL crashes yet). When was the last time a plane actually had an accident from electronics? It's really not that big of a deal.

Cell phones have absolutely caused in-flight incidents:
http://www.askthepilot.com/questions...apter-5/#c5-q5

So, yes, you are being a jerk and placing other people at risk through potential interference (even you suggest it is a nonzero probability) and in event of sudden cabin movement, your cell phone/laptop/whatever becomes a dangerous projectile. To reiterate: you are placing others at risk by your behavior. To be honest, I don't really have a problem with it -- the risk is slight. But don't lie and pretend that your behavior is harmless. It isn't.

Don't try and excuse your jerkiness. Either accept it, and that people will justifiably call you out on it, or change your behavior. Like I said, I don't really care. But your indignation that others DO care is wrong.