Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMilesInsider update: Sky Priority is HERE…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMilesInsider update: Sky Priority is HERE…

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mike_plat
To celebrate the increasing worthlessness of my newly acquired infinite FO status, I shall wear the Tiffany cufflinks I got for the milestone on my next Continental flight!

Hahah. That was good for a laugh for a dreary, rainy Monday!
Old May 24, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
^
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
Sorry, that is not the way it was. Until SkyPriority, Zone 1 was only first class, not silver, not gold, not platinum.

And this is how it should be (in my opinion). I don't care so much how they do the various elite classes after boarding first class, but FC should go first.^

Thank you Delta for putting this back right.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by DLNYC

The hard changes have not made a huge difference to GMs/PMs/DM (with the exception of the drink coupon---not sure what the status on that is now), but SkyPriority I'm sure has made the GM+ group feel just that much more special. Is it worth making this group feel better at the expense of FOs? I don't have access to DL data on Medallion ranks and revenue, so I couldn't say, but DL obviously feels any perceived devaluation to FO will be offset by the perceived increase in value to GM+.
I agree 100% with this. The only problem for Delta is that it's pushing FO's away, and they're going to start losing business. I work for a major Fortune 100 firm, and there's whispers among the Silver Medallion (former NWA SE) about switching to UA or AA for folks that take 10-15 trips a year domestically.

This is off topic a bit, but for a lot of us in MSP, the switch to delta has been a cluster in its entirety. It's not just this, there's so many things that we're unhappy about, and this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for some of us FO/SEs.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta Gold
The merger has been a huge downgrade for silver elites: no more elite phone line, charges to change your flight on the same day, downgraded check-in and security, new higher charges on booking award tickets. I consistently fly 30K a year for business and now have very little incentive to fly Delta exclusively, especially with the rise in ticket prices out of MSP and new lack of usability in the online booking tools.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by daregale
The merger has been a huge downgrade for silver elites: no more elite phone line, charges to change your flight on the same day, downgraded check-in and security, new higher charges on booking award tickets. I consistently fly 30K a year for business and now have very little incentive to fly Delta exclusively, especially with the rise in ticket prices out of MSP and new lack of usability in the online booking tools.
really? booked two today...still $10, same as usual.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
FOs no longer have access to the Medallion CS line? I always did when I was FO. If this is the case, this clearly should be fixed.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28
really? booked two today...still $10, same as usual.
You're also a Delta Reserve member, for which fees are waived. The fees of $75/$100/$150 for award tickets less than 21 days out still seem new and shocking to me, as do the redeposit fees.

WorldPerks Silver Elite used to get a 50% mileage bonus instead of a 25% also, but I can't remember when that changed, whether it was pre- or post-merger. Coupled with the higher redemption values (e.g., 60,000 vs 40,000 miles for a transatlantic flight), "free" flights cost a lot more.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:42 pm

FOs no longer have access to the Medallion CS line? I always did when I was FO. If this is the case, this clearly should be fixed.
That's what I was told a month or so ago when I called.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by chrisj85
I think the dilemma for mid-level FOs such as myself (have been GM and PM in the past, still fly about 30-35K MQMs a year) is that we feel DL has broken the "social contract" with us. This makes DL less trustworthy in the future. Sure, it's possible for me to reach GM this year with a few mileage runs or an extra European trip, but then I wonder, next year will DL target the GMs with a midyear benefit dilution/reduction as they did to the FOs this year? Imagine if this time next year, DL deems that henceforth only PM/DM/FC will receive SP benefits.

Also, by barely reaching GM with no rollover miles left at the end of the year, it will become that much harder to re-qualify next year.

Or do I just trudge along as a FO, booking cheap flights on DL and booking elsewhere when necessary (unlike in the past when I would book everything on DL even if I had to pay a significantly higher fare), rolling over 15K which makes re-qualification next year as a FO a snap, and hope that DL doesn't further degrade the FO level in the future?

Or do I take my business elsewhere entirely?

These are questions with no good answers, if one no longer trusts DL to consistently reward Elite level flyers as they have in the past.
I agree with ALL of the above.

I am a SM, fly about 35-40K year, just flew five legs over the past few days.

Check-in at MSP- SMs have separate line from SP, clearly marked. Line was short- no problems for me, but there could be in the future.

SMs not allowed to use SP carpet- fine, whatever. I loaded with Zone 2 when not upgraded and Zone 1 when upgraded. Worked fine but I had a small bag.

The announcement specifically thanking Diamond, Plat, GM, and excluding SM, was heard on all of my 5 flights. Honestly, I just find it tacky. Why explicitly exclude SMs?

My biggest complaint is the $50 SDC for SM. SM should be able to standby for free, at the very least. But that isn't related to Sky Priority.

But as the PP mentioned- Delta has broken the social contract. I no longer trust them- what is the point of trying to fly an extra 8K miles this year beyond scheduled trips to hit GM when they may just devalue GM next year?
Old May 24, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
You're also a Delta Reserve member, for which fees are waived. The fees of $75/$100/$150 for award tickets less than 21 days out still seem new and shocking to me, as do the redeposit fees.

WorldPerks Silver Elite used to get a 50% mileage bonus instead of a 25% also, but I can't remember when that changed, whether it was pre- or post-merger.
I don't want to defend DL but folks need to keep some perspective. At NW Silver elites never had access to the elite CS line. Their number was directed to the normal call centers. They just went to the head of the queue. The move from 50% to 25% mileage bonus was an industry-wide change. And I'm not aware of any major carrier that waives SDC and close-in award fees for its lowest elite tier.

SkyPriority didn't take much, if anything, away from Silvers. It just puts into sharper relief what Golds and above get compared to Silvers. As usual, DL blew the communication part, which is at the root of most of the angst. From the ridiculous onboard announcement that excludes SM's, to the inconsistent airport signage and agent training, it seems like they went out of their way to make Silvers feel like a lower class. Of course, Silvers actually are a lower class, but DL should have done a better job making the upper classes feel special without rubbing it in the lower classes' faces.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by Liz_MSP
I agree with ALL of the above.

I am a SM, fly about 35-40K year, just flew five legs over the past few days.

Check-in at MSP- SMs have separate line from SP, clearly marked. Line was short- no problems for me, but there could be in the future.

SMs not allowed to use SP carpet- fine, whatever. I loaded with Zone 2 when not upgraded and Zone 1 when upgraded. Worked fine but I had a small bag.

The announcement specifically thanking Diamond, Plat, GM, and excluding SM, was heard on all of my 5 flights. Honestly, I just find it tacky. Why explicitly exclude SMs?

My biggest complaint is the $50 SDC for SM. SM should be able to standby for free, at the very least. But that isn't related to Sky Priority.

But as the PP mentioned- Delta has broken the social contract. I no longer trust them- what is the point of trying to fly an extra 8K miles this year beyond scheduled trips to hit GM when they may just devalue GM next year?
I'm in the same boat. I'll actually hit Gold this year (may need a mileage run to do it, but don't think so), so many of these problems would go away. Even with that in mind, after what Delta has done to me this year, if a non-stop on my commute becomes available on another airline, I'll be status matching and switching as soon as possible.

I spent the last 7+ months flying every week, and now still every other week. Delta has seen fit to reward my money and loyalty with this kind of crap, so I'm hoping I can return the favor by giving my business to someone else.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
it seems like they went out of their way to make Silvers feel like a lower class. Of course, Silvers actually are a lower class, but DL should have done a better job making the upper classes feel special without rubbing it in the lower classes' faces.
I know I don't fly as much as a GM, PM, DM, etc. But I do consistently fly 30-40+K miles, and will fly more frequently (and probably purchase I fares) as we get older.

It isn't that DL has made SM feel like second class citizens in the Medallion pool; I feel like a regular non-status passenger now. And with my travel patterns (looking for upgradeable F TPAC/TATL), I really don't have a reason to stay loyal to DL.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by NWA012
On June1 boarding will revert back to pre Sky Priority days with a new addition of "PREM" printing in place of ZONE 1 on boarding passes for those in a premium cabin.

The boarding should flow:

Those needing agent assistance or extra time.
PREM (Premium Cabin)
ZONE 1 (Diamond, Platinum, Gold and SkyTeam Elite Plus) Soon AS MVP Gold
ZONE 2 (Silver and SkyTeam Elite)
ZONE 3 (Rear 1/3 of aircraft on mainline or remaing rows on connection carriers)
ZONE 4 (Remaing rows mainline only)
Helpful, but I think making it where ZONE 1 was Premium and Diamond, and ZONE 2 FO, GM, and PM, would be better. There would be more differentiation for DM that way, and since DMs would be a large part of those seated in F, it seems it would have little impact.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by Stripe
SkyPriority didn't take much, if anything, away from Silvers. It just puts into sharper relief what Golds and above get compared to Silvers. As usual, DL blew the communication part, which is at the root of most of the angst. From the ridiculous onboard announcement that excludes SM's, to the inconsistent airport signage and agent training, it seems like they went out of their way to make Silvers feel like a lower class. Of course, Silvers actually are a lower class, but DL should have done a better job making the upper classes feel special without rubbing it in the lower classes' faces.
It's not even that SP "took" things away from Silvers, just instead gave more people bumps in front of them. Before, we were included in "the gang" and just had to deal with a few lower perks and such. Now, that gang is all in front of us, along with people who aren't necessarily even Medallions. For me, that feeling is compounded by the fact that as a segment qualifier, I probably fly more and spend more annually than a good percentage of the Golds and non Medallion SkyPriority fliers, and my loyalty is rewarded with a 'back of the bus' feeling from Delta.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by meh130
Helpful, but I think making it where ZONE 1 was Premium and Diamond, and ZONE 2 FO, GM, and PM, would be better. There would be more differentiation for DM that way, and since DMs would be a large part of those seated in F, it seems it would have little impact.
+1. I believe that's basically what AA does. They let exec plats board before lower tiers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.