Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMilesInsider update: Sky Priority is HERE…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMilesInsider update: Sky Priority is HERE…

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:28 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
What do you know, they DO read this site. "U.S. airports" has been changed to "airports", clarification for SJC has been added, and the typo has been fixed. ^
Many, many more Delta people besides SMI are reading this particular topic. While I'm not posting as frequently as I would like, we are picking up on your items...

SkyMilesInsider
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Many, many more Delta people besides SMI are reading this particular topic. While I'm not posting as frequently as I would like, we are picking up on your items...

SkyMilesInsider
Thanks for the reply. Hope you're keeping your head on straight -- people are resistant to change, and are most vocal right away. Glad to hear DL is looking at the Zone 1 issue and will see if it turns into a problem. Take care and see ya at the Mini-DO!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by chrisj85
What benefits exactly will I see as a DL FO travelling internationally under this new regime?

As for using miles to travel internationally or enjoy a first class seat, good luck with that for anything less than 100K, unless one is flying to Moscow in January or such.
I could buy a ticket RIGHT NOW from LAX to CDG (or other countries in Europe) for January, February, and March... For 100K roundtrip in Business.

Try getting that from WN... oh wait....

And as an FO, you'll STILL get priority boarding (Zone 2)... there is literally NOTHING devalued here. FOs are already in the last Elite group to board currently, so there is no change.

Also, nothing has changed with regards to the upgrade priority. If you were getting them before, you'll still get them. If you weren't, you probably won't still. No reason to leave DL all of a sudden.

With regards to the elite security lines, etc., I'd prefer to "wait and see" to see how individual airports handle this. Since the ticket will still say "Elite" on the top of it (if you are a Silver), I imagine most security personnel will still let you use the "elite" lines, except maybe at ATL where they have NEVER allowed FOs. Once again, NOTHING CHANGED.

So, please, explain further how the FO status has been devalued...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:16 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
I also find it interesting that SMI has not responded to any of the disappointed posts from FOs. As was stated earlier, silence speaks volumes. What can they possibly say? SMI knows they are throwing FOs overboard.
Actually, if you look at the OP, this is what I said very clearly:
Our SkyMiles Silver Medallion or SkyTeam Elite members will continue to enjoy all the benefits they’re earned – as found on delta.com - and will experience no changes once Sky Priority is available to qualifying customers.

Silver Medallion members are eligible for Sky Priority services when upgraded or when a BusinessElite, First or Business Class ticket is purchased.
Originally Posted by n301dp
I'm not usually one to call out SMI, especially when he/she is actually participating in a thread, but:

This was SMI's post from the Sky Priority speculation thread, in response to someone's concerns about Silvers losing pre-boarding as a result of this change (hence the FO insert).

I'm an FO, former NW Gold Elite and from the initial reading of the e-mail and website, it sure looks like I'm losing benefits, especially when it comes to check-in, security and other "lines." Should I take this to mean that we FOs are, in fact, losing benefits, or was the post quoted above just a big typo?
Specific to the boarding lanes - Silver Medallion members will be able to board in zone 2 using the Sky Priority boarding lane. This will be included in both the GA announcements and in the automated overhead announcements at the gate.

A few other updates for you on other topics:

Boarding process in general - while we are moving forward with the changes as announced, we absolutely are going to continue monitoring this aspect of the product introduction very closely for your feedback, observations by our employees and many other data points.

Drink/snack coupons - so far it appears that you all seem to like this part, but we wanted to add some additional information. These coupons will be available on RJ routes that do not have F cabin service. (The question was posted earlier, but I couldn't find it.) ...and we know you want wi-fi coupons. While we wanted to have this for the launch, there are still some things we are trying to solve for before we can include it.

For the next several days, I will continue to monitor (lightly) but know that there are also significant employee communications that need attention, too. This is as much an employee education campaign as it is a customer product launch so please accept my apologies in advance if I'm not able to get back to post on items until evening hours.

SkyMilesInsider
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:20 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
DL FO here, have been GM and PM in the past but not in the last couple of years, never posted before because I was always very satisfied with DL's product and services even on the lowly Silver level. However, as someone whose travel patterns make GM unlikely for the next few years anyway, I am wondering if there are really any FO benefits left that are worth having?

Elite Check-in Access: Gone.

Elite Security Access: Was already gone for the most part.

Early boarding: Devalued to the point of near worthlessness at many hub airports and on busy metal routes where half the plane will be GM or higher.

Priority Seating: Appears that FO will not have "early access" whatever that means, it is likely that whenever we do get access (24 hours before the flight?) all of the exit row and bulkhead seats will be long gone. As a 6'4" male who really could use that extra legroom, that's a devastating loss.

Upgrades: Already very unlikely except on the most obscure routes. Probably primed to be taken away entirely soon.

Priority baggage service: Never had it.

Are there other FO benefits that survived the Sky Priority regime change that I am missing?

Seems to me that DL is basically telling their FOs who won't be flying enough to make GM to take a hike, they are no longer wanted as customers.
If this is the case - SMI Can I get my "Choice" back? The choice I made by changing the rules not even 2 months after I made said choice! I gifted my wife FO so the few times she travels for work she could:

a) pick better seats - apparently she can't any more
b) board and get her carry on somewhere near her seat - guess that won't happen any more.
c) use the medallion check-in line

I already knew the upgrades would be rare, and that's fine, but what you guys did to FO just is not right. What are you going to do for those of us that gifted FO to our spouses or friends for these reasons and you've now changed them.

I may be way off base here, but according to your last post above mine you said they'll still have a check in line and get somewhat early boarding, but can you clarify on when they'll be able to pick the preferred seats? Are they not going to be able to pick them at or after booking?

Last edited by jfulcher; Apr 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Thumbs down

Boarding process in general - while we are moving forward with the changes as announced, we absolutely are going to continue monitoring this aspect of the product introduction very closely for your feedback, observations by our employees and many other data points.

Drink/snack coupons
1. Boarding process: You (DL) have just created a NIGHTMARE at the gate when zone ONE is announced. Many here agree with this. Do you really think that ALL FC, All DM, All PM, AND All GM will see this gate bottleneck as a positive????
2. Drink Coupons: a BIG +1!!

Can I suggest that you introduce a ZONE ZERO (0)? This "zone" is for FC (or BE) ONLY! Then offer zone ONE for every other person that you deem appropriate.

Frankly, I dread zone one boarding on April 15th!!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Drink/snack coupons - so far it appears that you all seem to like this part, but we wanted to add some additional information. These coupons will be available on RJ routes that do not have F cabin service. (The question was posted earlier, but I couldn't find it.) ...and we know you want wi-fi coupons. While we wanted to have this for the launch, there are still some things we are trying to solve for before we can include it.
Glad to hear ^^^
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:30 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BobRoss
Thanks for the reply. Hope you're keeping your head on straight -- people are resistant to change, and are most vocal right away. Glad to hear DL is looking at the Zone 1 issue and will see if it turns into a problem. Take care and see ya at the Mini-DO!
It was already a problem when they did the initial breezeway implementation. How hard is it not to repeat your same mistakes? It wasn't that long ago! It took months to fix the breezeway boarding.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Good news on the RJ drink coupons. I'll still avoid those planes like the plague but it's nice to know a free in-flight sedative is available.

How about this situation: I used my miles to get a non-status relative a domestic F award, but one segment is an RJ with no first class. Will she get a drink coupon at OLCI? I would be very surprised if the answer was Yes but it's a good example of all the scenarios the programmers must account for.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP

SkyMilesInsider
Nice job SMI. I appreciate your posting here. I know the limitations of what you can say as a spokesperson for DL, but to respond to how you justified that Silver's "won't lose anything"... all you really said is that Silver's will board on Zone 2... as I predicted. You did not address everything else silver's would lose, like having the Priority Check-In line being renamed "SkyPriority Check-In" which Silvers are not eligible for, or even the ability to select exit rows upon booking. You cannot dispute that Silvers will lose a number of current benefits to say the least. There is no way that Silver's will have their own exclusive "Priority Check-In" at the airport since SkyPriority will now have a separate one. As much as DL tries to hide this, it IS true that Silver's will be degraded to General Members because as we know, the millions of Silvers out there are on a uphill battle for upgrades (a rarity on elite heavy DL SkyMiles). So that leaves the 25% bonus the only realistic benefit of Silver status and boarding in Zone 2 (after 1/4 to 1/2 the plane has boarded), which my opinion really isn't a great benefit. Having this SkyPriority for "everyone BUT...." doesn't really do anything for Golds and up since nothing was added to the current benefits other than Zone 1 boarding. It more so disses Silvers. Sort of like saying, "everyone is invited but one person, to a party that is held regularly".. just my 2 cents.

On a positive note, I am glad most elites will now board with FC because this will make elites feel better, and I am also glad that customer support will be extended 24/7 as it should be, since DL is a worldwide carrier, or at least it markets itself to be one.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by jfulcher
If this is the case - SMI Can I get my "Choice" back? The choice I made by changing the rules not even 2 months after I made said choice! I gifted my wife FO so the few times she travels for work she could:

a) pick better seats - apparently she can't any more
b) board and get her carry on somewhere near her seat - guess that won't happen any more.
c) use the medallion check-in line

I already knew the upgrades would be rare, and that's fine, but what you guys did to FO just is not right. What are you going to do for those of us that gifted FO to our spouses or friends for these reasons and you've now changed them.

I may be way off base here, but according to your last post above mine you said they'll still have a check in line and get somewhat early boarding, but can you clarify on when they'll be able to pick the preferred seats? Are they not going to be able to pick them at or after booking?
I seriously don't get why people keep saying FO has been devalued or had benefits taken away. SMI has said about 37 times that nothing is being taken away from Silvers. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Silvers aren't losing benefits, its just that others are getting your current benefits + additional new benefits. In other words...Silvers aren't losing anything, they are just not gaining anything!

If anything, you now have your entire separate zone to board in...which is the same zone as before.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
Why is that so hard to comprehend?

SMI has said many things, and so has Jeff Robertson. (see one of the stickies regarding one of JR's promises.. I'll leave it at that).

SMI is doing a good job of posting. I realize this is a scary place for a DL employee to post when the airline is so unpopular. But let's get real, I don't care what DL says, the evidence points out the obvious. OF COURSE Silver's will lose benefits.

Here's why (taken from post #292 which SMI did not address other than confirming that Zone 2 will remain exclusively for Silvers)

Originally Posted by mike101
I'd like to agree with you, as it is hard to believe that a company can really be this sly, but we also need to use common sense:

Are you suggesting there will now be 3 check in sections at the airport? 1 for SkyPriority (FC, golds and up), 1 for Priority Check in (Silvers only), and the other section for regular passengers? I doubt it.

Are you suggesting that Silvers will exclusively have Zone 2 to themselves? Zone 1 is currently for FC and row 16 on certain routes/planes, so now Golds and up will have zone 1 as well... which leaves Zone 2 exclusively for Silver?

And let's not forget the promise of providing exit rows "earlier" to golds and up.. that just means that Silver's wont be able to select them as soon as they book their tickets/ There are a few exit rows that will 'always' be reserved 2 hours prior to boarding, and i doubt these exit rows are the ones being referred to, in that case, despite the promise of SMI, the evidence points out otherwise

As far as free beverage/snack... peanuts/cookies is what we currently get.. so I guess now we can expect 2 peanut bags? lol Knowing Delta this well, this 'SkyPriority marketing scheme/propaganda' is very consistent with their past 'cost-cutting accomplishments' and a very 'excellent' way of marketing improvements as a disguise to pretty much begin elite benefits from Gold Medallion up. Might as well just rename Gold Elite to Silver Elite, Plat to Gold and Diamond to Plat... since we all know Silvers have an uphill battle getting upgraded, so is the only benefit the 25% bonus miles? lol (which should be a benefit for everybody including general members given the outrageous award ticket prices)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:59 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mike101
...and I am also glad that customer support will be extended 24/7 as it should be, since DL is a worldwide carrier, or at least it markets itself to be one.
Delta's phones have always been open 24/7. Some of the best most efficient calls have been at 2 or 3 am.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM
So what is Silvers are alone in zone 2? Is the suggestion that elites and first class pax are going to fill the overheads completely before any general member pax board? Honestly, if zone 1 boarding is the absolute mess I expect, I'll probably hold back and wait for Zone 2 in any event.

Yes, loss of priority check-in/security is a diminuation, but other than that I don't really see the sky falling. Selecting priority seats at time of booking? I don't know about you, but I'm a PM now and I've found the pickings rather slim of late when I've booked tickets. I read this as DL will open up seats for skypriority that are presently blocked to everyone (and I'm hoping that means row 5 on the airbii). The loss of benefits for FOs in that regard happened months ago.

Silver still gets you:
Waived checked bag fees, on the plane before general members, 25% more RDMs than a general member & upgraded at a similar rate to what you were before skypriority (in which case you get all of the skypriority benefits in any event). Asserting that silver is degrading into *general member plus* just seems a bit reactionary.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First
It seems to me that rollover MQM's probably have created too many FO's. (To make silver, one now only needs to fly 25,000 miles in two years instead of one.) So to alleviate overcrowding in the Breezeway lane, Delta rolls out this new program separating out the FO's from other elite members. Just my theory...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.