FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1060667-gate-lice-coming-gate-lice-coming.html)

GRALISTAIR Feb 23, 2012 3:26 pm

He must think it is WN

dcline414 Feb 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by reft (Post 18070562)
1) Monkey See, Monkey do. People line up behind other people.
2) Those who want to get on the plane first.
a) Almost everyone wants overhead bin space.
b) Some want extra time to wrap up work, or have a PDB.
3) Seats in the boarding area can be used up. This doesn't mean 100% utilization, but enough seats could be used that standing is preferred to using what's left.

Of course, I maybe wrong here.

There is definitely a high correlation of business pax w/ rollaboard not checking their bag and people crowding the gate to board at the beginning of their zone.

If I am in a middle seat or non-exit row, I will grab a seat in the bulkhead (as close as a GM in ATL can get to the front!), but then you have VERY limited options to store your rollaboard, and it's 2x as bad on MD-88/90s or DC-9s.

Since all the non-upgraded DYKWIAs in the back will put their bags over my seat before I board if I'm not on before the middle of zone 1 (when the plane is 30-40% full) then I lose 10 minutes waiting for the whole plane to empty out so I can get to my bag in the back of the plane.

It only takes a few times of doing that before you learn to knock grandmas out of the way to get to the front of that line! ;)

flightattendantsteve Feb 23, 2012 4:14 pm

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/..._6391843_n.jpg

This one this afternoon in ATL... Inbound AC hadn't even arrived.. 90 mins prior to departure he had already lined up.

mnredfox Feb 24, 2012 12:09 am

Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve (Post 18070996)
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/..._6391843_n.jpg

This one this afternoon in ATL... Inbound AC hadn't even arrived.. 90 mins prior to departure he had already lined up.

LOL, don't people have better things to do?

Zomba Feb 24, 2012 12:53 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 18072880)
LOL, don't people have better things to do?

I have a confession: when I was but a youngster (like <10), I used to sit waiting for WN flights from the moment that I got to the gate. 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes--it didn't matter to me.

*whew*, I feel better that I got that off my chest.

natas43 Feb 24, 2012 5:00 am

Originally Posted by dcline414 (Post 18070749)
There is definitely a high correlation of business pax w/ rollaboard not checking their bag and people crowding the gate to board at the beginning of their zone.

If I am in a middle seat or non-exit row, I will grab a seat in the bulkhead (as close as a GM in ATL can get to the front!), but then you have VERY limited options to store your rollaboard, and it's 2x as bad on MD-88/90s or DC-9s.

Since all the non-upgraded DYKWIAs in the back will put their bags over my seat before I board if I'm not on before the middle of zone 1 (when the plane is 30-40% full) then I lose 10 minutes waiting for the whole plane to empty out so I can get to my bag in the back of the plane.

It only takes a few times of doing that before you learn to knock grandmas out of the way to get to the front of that line! ;)

I'm with you on this one. If I have to fly a CRJ with F, I always take 1A. However, I have noticed over the past 2 months that if I am not numbers 1 through 3 on the plane, my bag has to go over row 3, which is ridiculous. This past Monday morning, I was the 4th one on the plane after being cut off in line by 2 DYKWIA's who "mistakenly" thought the agent was calling for boarding and not for gate check tags. Of course both had roll aboards that actually fit in the over head plus their laptop bags. One was 1C, the other 2D. Needless to say, even though I was 4th on the plane, my laptop bag went over row 3/4. I have now changed my seat on all subsequent flights to 2A just so I can fall back on putting my bag under the seat in front of me.

Kwaj boy Feb 24, 2012 6:14 am

I understand getting in line to board and wanting to get on board to get overhead space but that's not what I'm asking. What I don't understand is the need to get up from the seats they have (yes there are plenty of seats) and then stand out in the middle of the concourse walkway rather than near the gate, obstructing the concourse walkway for everyone. There's plenty of room to stand near the gate out of the way but instead they insist on standing in everyone's way out in the councourse.

Diamondkellen Feb 24, 2012 8:05 am

98 gate lice off the carpet

Flying ind-atl and i just counted 48 people standing in the walk way before any zones where called DL really needs to start cracking the whip on this issue

DelrayChris Feb 24, 2012 8:10 am

...then I lose 10 minutes waiting for the whole plane to empty out..

Is losing 10 minutes going to ruin your day?

TProphet Feb 24, 2012 8:35 am

You should come to China. When pre-boarding is announced, everyone just rushes the gate and boards. And the airlines don't do anything, because they can't. That's just how it works here. Try it sometime - the world will not end, and you'll still get a seat on the plane. Probably.

Often1 Feb 24, 2012 9:00 am

DL isn't going to do anything about this. The only solution is to become the 49th person in the scrum (if you want OH space). My view is that if they aren't going to enforce it, they ought to get rid of it so that people like OP don't think it's a real possibility.

ma91pmh Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

Originally Posted by TProphet (Post 18074315)
You should come to China. When pre-boarding is announced, everyone just rushes the gate and boards. And the airlines don't do anything, because they can't. That's just how it works here. Try it sometime - the world will not end, and you'll still get a seat on the plane. Probably.

Personally in China what I find even more amusing is when the plane lands (and sometimes even before) everybody gets up and starts heading for the door long long before the plane is anywhere near the gate

JFKSFOLAX_friend Feb 24, 2012 9:21 am

Why does the title say "98" but the thread say "48"? Why 50 more people listed in the title?

stonecrd Feb 24, 2012 9:35 am

It is funny to watch the dynamic. Usually starts with a couple FFer's who for whatever reason want to be in the first 1-3 to board. Then you get a few more lining up behind them, some are general pax who are not sure what is going on and some are guys getting worried about overhead space. Once you hit about 10 it becomes a mass rush as people think they are missing out on something. Really gets accelerated if boarding starts 15m or so late.

Diamondkellen Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 18074535)
Why does the title say "98" but the thread say "48"? Why 50 more people listed in the title?

Sorry i was typing on my phone. It was 48 either way i was upgraded so i did what i normally do which is have a seat laugh at the lice and enjoy knowing i get to push them out of my way to board in FC. I also enjoy the nasty looks of how come he got uograded and not me.