FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1060667-gate-lice-coming-gate-lice-coming.html)

justflyingin Oct 12, 2011 12:19 am

Originally Posted by SamuelS (Post 17259243)
LOL. I like "get out of the way" myself. :p

Every flight I just went on (went for a two week trip to the states, including about 12 legs) had people standing in the way. The absolute worst was the KLM flight going across the Atlantic. The GA had to tell many people to get out of the way and let first class through. It was humorous. But since we were all in this small area, after a second screening because we were going to the states, I'm not sure what else they would expect.

But, it was humorous to see even later, after first class, as they were asking the elite and elite plus people to come through to watch them almost fight to get through the crowd of people. The GA kept asking people to get over. And it was sad. Since it was a long flight (AMS-MSP), I'm wasn't sure what the big hurry was to get on board. Those big planes usually have plenty of overhead space in economy.

But I saw this basically everywhere I went, which was AMS, MSP, PHX, GSP, ATL, TPA. People were waiting in line and if you had zone 1 which I had one time, you had to almost push people aside to get up there to board.

Is there any place/airlines that doesn't have this problem?

JessWho Oct 12, 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by upgradeluvr (Post 17258629)
Yeah, what am I supposed to do when it says "add URL here?"

I'm not one who uploads random pics to Flicker etc....so, I'm sorry...if I cannot simply upload one pic, it's SO not worth it....especially if one has to add a URL...

Lame...

http://www.imageshack.us

Denal1 Oct 12, 2011 6:27 am

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 17259628)
Is there any place/airlines that doesn't have this problem?

I just finished a month on UA, including 4 trips through DEN. 50% of flights had NO gate lice!. Everyone stayed in seats until zones called. Most of the others had only One in line prior to calling GS boarding. This may not be the norm, but in DEN the passenger in front of me had his boarding pass rejected by the computer and he was told that it was not his time to board yet. I dont know if it rejected his ticket becuase of the zone or if he hadnt cleared yet but wouldnt that be great if the computer would not scan a BP until the zone had been cleared. Also, in JAC they allowed any passenger who would gate check their carry-on to board first. Personally, I dont know why you would want to get on the plane early if you dont need bin space, but it seemed to work in that 20-25 people stepped up. If I dont need space, I like to be the last person on the plane.

upgradeluvr Oct 12, 2011 6:35 am

http://i.imgur.com/xZakcl.jpg[/IMG]

This example, taken at SLC on 9/30/11. These guys pushed ahead of two women in wheelchairs...the best part - the previous flight had JUST arrive and was still unloading, yet this guy HAD to be first. And yes, he was DM....surprise....

Paddlenpedal Oct 12, 2011 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Denal1 (Post 17260405)
If I dont need space, I like to be the last person on the plane.

Exactly. Which, can be fun, when you're on the cleared list for an UG, and someone in zone 1 (probably a FT person!) hangs around the gate agent and keeps asking "Is FC BOARDED full?"

Must have been another FO just behind me in the priority line, who didn't get the upgrade, but was hanging on to see if First BOARDED full, not just checked in full....Didn't get to talk to him, before boarding, but I've never heard of askinng about the boarding full question until I saw it on here, so I assume it was one of us. I was on the phone, and trying to finish a call before boarding, so I skipped the FC boarding call, and boarded in zone 3.

BadgerBoi Oct 12, 2011 6:37 am

Originally Posted by upgradeluvr (Post 17260441)
This example, taken at SLC on 9/30/11. These guys pushed ahead of two women in wheelchairs...the best part - the previous flight had JUST arrive and was still unloading, yet this guy HAD to be first. And yes, he was DM....surprise....

aaah, well worth the wait! Classic pic.

MojaveFlyer Oct 12, 2011 7:00 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 17182687)
Also, GA scanning tickets is enforcing zone numbers and SP lane usage (allowing FOs in the SP lane as well, although on the 767 with this many gate lice, it should be allowed). I told her "thanks" on behalf of all medallions.

I always make a point to thank them for enforcing the boarding order. GAs are just getting negativity from the pax trying to squeeze on, so let's make them feel that we appreciate the extra work it takes to keep things orderly.

Gate lice are there only because they often can get away with an early boarding using the "Who, me, Zone what?" look.

rankourabu Oct 12, 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer (Post 17260541)
Gate lice are there only because they often can get away with an early boarding using the "Who, me, Zone what?" look.

Except, as evidenced in latest round of photos, gate lice are most often people who are in fact entitled to board early.

N965VJ Oct 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by upgradeluvr (Post 17258060)
I have the PERFECT gate lice pic...taken at SLC on 9/30/11.

How does one attach pics to this message board?

I have a free Photobucket account. You can even upload a pic by emailing it from your phone. It's also easy to resize images so they don't make a thread w-i-d-e.

/ahem ;)

Originally Posted by tc_jedi (Post 17244214)
I know you can't really tell from the angle but that's a woman! :D

It's Pat! :D

WWGuy Oct 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by upgradeluvr (Post 17260441)
http://i.imgur.com/xZakcl.jpg[/IMG]

If he was in F I don't see a problem. On full size planes DL boards F (PREM zone) before pre-boards.

avidflyer Oct 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by WWGuy (Post 17262253)
If he was in F I don't see a problem. On full size planes DL boards F (PREM zone) before pre-boards.

Not true. Just got off a ATL-LAX flight and pre-bards went first (as they should). The issue is the inbound had not even deplaned....they are in the way of the deplaning inbound pax and I am not sure why...Does he think the GA will let him pre pre board?

plagwate Oct 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 17262328)
Not true. Just got off a ATL-LAX flight and pre-bards went first (as they should). The issue is the inbound had not even deplaned....they are in the way of the deplaning inbound pax and I am not sure why...Does he think the GA will let him pre pre board?

+1
My ATL-MCO flight this morning boarded pre-boards first and then F.

(just doing my part to push this thread to the next page so we don't have to see the W-I-D-E view.)

justflyingin Oct 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate (Post 17262819)
+1

(just doing my part to push this thread to the next page so we don't have to see the W-I-D-E view.)

I agree. What causes the wide view?

samlev01 Oct 12, 2011 2:03 pm

A picture someone posted of a louse waiting for their flight.....

JessWho Oct 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by plagwate (Post 17262819)
+1

I've always experienced pre-boards boarding before FC.

(Also wanting the super huge louse photo to go back a page!)