FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1060667-gate-lice-coming-gate-lice-coming.html)

tc_jedi Oct 9, 2011 6:13 am

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6167/...fbfb85_b_d.jpg

TPA Gate E68 DL969 10/9/11

This was 20 minutes prior to boarding and the jetway door was closed.

cottonpatch Oct 9, 2011 6:57 am

I don't think his bags would meet the size-wize check. How many bags does he have anyway? It looks like he's got two carry on pieces of luggage. This whole gate lice thing wouldn't be necessary if DL would enforce the size and quantity of bags taken on board limitations.

tc_jedi Oct 9, 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by cottonpatch (Post 17244079)
I don't think his bags would meet the size-wize check.

I know you can't really tell from the angle but that's a woman! :D

CJKatl Oct 9, 2011 8:43 am

Originally Posted by tc_jedi (Post 17244214)

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's always amusing about people like that is watching them stand firm when the people getting off the flight before swarm out the jetway door. It reminds me of Joe Cantore standing on the shore as a hurricane blows in. (Although this gate louse appears more masculine than Mr. Cantore.)

johnslloyd Oct 9, 2011 9:05 am

Cattle Call

What gets me is that Delta has been running an animated banner ad here on FT, on the Southwest forum, for quite some, time pushing the premise "avoid the Southwest cattle call". I fly enough on both airlines (Delta Zone 2, Southwest A16-20) that I can say without a doubt that the DL "gate lice" boarding congestion problem is worse by far than boarding at Southwest by A/B/C groups.

Often1 Oct 9, 2011 9:13 am

All About Carron Enforcement

Back in the day F pax (way before SM) boarded last so that they would spend the least time in their seat. The sole reason to board early is OH space. Otherwise, I would just as soon board as the door is closing.

If DL enforced its own published security and safety policy regarding carry-ons (and FAA toughened up its enforcement on DL for its failure to do so), the entire kabuki dance around boarding would come to a screeching halt.

My View: Bags which don't fit the sizer (I don't care if they can be shoehorned into the OH) don't get carried on. They are gate checked to baggage office at final destination where the baggage fee + penalty (no waiver for status, etc) is collected before the bag is released. Won't take too many times for those who game the system and now wait in line for 90 mins to cough up a small fortune to get their bag, learn to pack or check at the curb/counter as the case may be. Needless to say, there will still be rare and limited occasions when the OH space is gone. In those occasions, DL can either gate check to the jetway (as it does for strollers) or to baggage claim without fee.

And, boarding can then be a leisurely affair in the order which common sense, not so-called status dictates.

hazelrah Oct 9, 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by johnslloyd (Post 17244455)
What gets me is that Delta has been running an animated banner ad here on FT, on the Southwest forum, for quite some, time pushing the premise "avoid the Southwest cattle call". I fly enough on both airlines (Delta Zone 2, Southwest A16-20) that I can say without a doubt that the DL "gate lice" boarding congestion problem is worse by far than boarding at Southwest by A/B/C groups.

I've noticed the same thing and thought maybe Southwest should run an animated banner on the Delta forum that pops up fleas and the notice "lice,lice, lice". Kinda like Delta does with cattle and "moo,moo,moo".

"frustrated by disorderly legacy boarding? Southwest brings order to boarding with a-list and early-bird options"

:D

CJKatl Oct 9, 2011 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by hazelrah (Post 17244618)
I've noticed the same thing and thought maybe Southwest should run an animated banner on the Delta forum that pops up fleas and the notice "lice,lice, lice". Kinda like Delta does with cattle and "moo,moo,moo".

"frustrated by disorderly legacy boarding? Southwest brings order to boarding with a-list and early-bird options"

Every so often I have not choice and wind up flying WN. Just last week, they had the only direct flight within a certain timeframe, so I flew WN. The entire boarding process makes me uncomfortable. I looked at the people racing to the front of the A line and wondered what sort of empty lives allow them to be huddled around their computers to print boarding passes at the very first moment possible. I looked at the huddled masses and thought how uncomfortable it is to have to get on the plane and choose who I wanted to sit next to. Whomever was chosen would not doubt dislike the fact i'm taking the empty seat and whomever is not chosen will wonder what lead to the rejection. I'll feel bad for making the choice about my seat. It reminds me of choosing sides for kickball.

immiLawyer Oct 9, 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by cottonpatch (Post 17244079)
This whole gate lice thing wouldn't be necessary if DL would enforce the size and quantity of bags taken on board limitations.

+1000

dd992emo Oct 9, 2011 12:49 pm

Been a while, so allow me to say that this problem would go away if they would REMOVE OVERHEAD BINS FROM ALL AIRCRAFT. :D^

LarryJ Oct 9, 2011 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 17245174)
The entire boarding process makes me uncomfortable.

I was a frequent SWA passenger for three years. When my travel switch to requiring international flights, such as Tokyo, I switched to Delta.

As a no-status SWA passenger, I got much better seats than as a no-status Delta flier. I was 100% getting an aisle seat on the right side between row four and the exit row. As a no-status DAL passenger I was stuck in the back and often had to re-check the web site daily in order to avoid a middle seat.

The SWA boarding process is much better than Delta's for a Zone 3 or Zone 4 passenger. No need to get out of your seat until just before your group of 30 board. The signs hold your place in a nice, organized line. No big mob of gate lice to try to push through. No scrum of people in the same Zone jockeying for the head of the non-existant line.

Once I made FO that all changed. Status makes all the difference. Status on SWA eliminates the need to check in which is a nice improvement as well. It guarenteed me a place in line which would get me the seats that I wanted.

DHalltheway Oct 9, 2011 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 17244387)

Originally Posted by tc_jedi (Post 17244214)

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's always amusing about people like that is watching them stand firm when the people getting off the flight before swarm out the jetway door. It reminds me of Joe Cantore standing on the shore as a hurricane blows in. (Although this gate louse appears more masculine than Mr. Cantore.)

Sure looked like a woman to me.

The question would be is the second bag a laptop bag.

Personally I don't know if there is a difference between Dom and International carry on bag sizes but I do know that Dom OH are just so tiny.

Bag limits are another thing that need to be enforced

I've seen is a traveler with 5 bags before all of which are bigger than your standard roll on bag on Y.

I am personally have been guilty of exceeding the bag limit (is it 2?) with 3 bags: 2 laptop bags and 1 roll on bag on BE and F

StayingHomeIsBetter Oct 9, 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by johnslloyd (Post 17244455)

Originally Posted by hazelrah (Post 17244618)

Thanks to Firefox and Blocksite, I don't have to see any of this BS. :D

chimphappyhour Oct 9, 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 17245357)
Personally I don't know if there is a difference between Dom and International carry on bag sizes but I do know that Dom OH are just so tiny.

In theory, the bag manufacturers seem to think so but in my observation, I haven't seen it. I've got a camera bag that is designed to be international carry-on sized. They say that the overall dimensions are smaller. I've popped it into Delta's size-wise bin and all I have to say is that I'm really glad I didn't get the domestic bag as I have no idea how the domestic bag fits into anything.

nytraveller53 Oct 9, 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 17245453)
Thanks to Firefox and Blocksite, I don't have to see any of this BS. :D

I have ....... Plus for Firefox - it's just amazing. No ads at all.