Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
What is up with OKC.??? I nearly got run over by some fool who had to be first on the carpet...... Then there is like a battle for FC bin space even though FC Is not full. One guy insisted on putting his bag in a bin first, even as a lady in front of him tried to put hers in...... Have these people never been on a plane before????
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
This is from my PVG-PUS flight on KE last week:

Boarding didn't start for another 15 minutes, and were were getting on a 737 for a 1hr flight. There were plenty of seats in the boarding area, yet most chose to choke-off the Business/Elite+ lane. GRRR

My own fault for leaving the lounge early...

Last edited by Zomba; Aug 29, 2011 at 3:46 am
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
I actually saw the coolest thing last week as I was waiting for boarding to commence on the redeye LAS-ATL I was on. About 20 minutes before LAS-ATL boarding commenced, another redeye (LAS-JFK) started boarding at an adjacent gate to us.

The GAs for that flight announced F and then Zone 1, and then STOPPED all boarding after 3-4 Zone 4s were denied boarding, and then stood in the way.

Two GAs apologized (via the PA) to all Zones 2 & 3 who were going to miss this flight because, "obviously some people can't listen - when we call Zone 4, then these people can board, but until then, we'll just sit here until some people learn how to count, and how to get out of the way of the rest of you."

I wish I had a video of it (with sound) I could post. I was too busy chuckling.

It was exciting. I took it as proof at least the late-night GAs at LAS have a clue.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
It was exciting. I took it as proof at least the late-night GAs at LAS have a clue.
The sad thing is that I bet some of the kettles complained. I honestly don't understand how some people can be 1) so oblivious or 2) so self-entitled that they don't abide by the rules.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Oh, yes.

I am sure there were some DYKWIA-moments going on over there.

Unfortunately, the GAs at my gate then called F boarding for my LAS-ATL, so I didn't get to see the outcome. Since there is no SC at LAS, I was all about getting the PFB as quickly as possible...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zomba
The sad thing is that I bet some of the kettles complained. I honestly don't understand how some people can be 1) so oblivious or 2) so self-entitled that they don't abide by the rules.
A post from a drive by Kettle:

I am hearing impaired with no status. I know when I supposed to board. I have to stand close to the announcer to read lips to "understand" the zone. Then nine times out of ten they hold the mike right up to their mouth and it comes out to me as "mrrph mrrph mrrph mrrph." They say it once and then a swarm of people board.

So, yes, I may walk up and try to board out of order. So, what is it you suggest I do? Request preboard?

I really appreciate the WN system. I can match my number with a spot on the floor. A few more people check bags and there is not a mad fight for bin space. I fly 80-100 segments a year, and I could probably earn status on DL, but the boarding circus is a real turn-off.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
A post from a drive by Kettle:

So, yes, I may walk up and try to board out of order. So, what is it you suggest I do?
Your frustration is justifiable, as I'm sure you feel uncomfortable standing up front and/or boarding out of order. Since you asked, here are some thoughts, or suggestions on what you can do...

If you are in an airport with electronic monitors, the zone that is boarding appears in a green bar at the bottom of the screen.

Do you ask the agent ahead of time to let you know when your zone is boarding? If you cannot hear, but let the agent know your zone and where you'll be standing, the agent would likely motion towards you when it's time to board.

Have you considered asking a fellow passenger to please let you know when your zone is boarding? I've had fellow passengers ask me, "What zone is boarding?" many, many times. I've also asked strangers this questions when I get to the gate, there are no monitors, and boarding has already started. (I learned to do this after I once saw boarding had started, rushed onto the plane only to be taken off the plane later when it was discovered I had boarded the wrong flight!)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Your frustration is justifiable, as I'm sure you feel uncomfortable standing up front and/or boarding out of order. Since you asked, here are some thoughts, or suggestions on what you can do...

If you are in an airport with electronic monitors, the zone that is boarding appears in a green bar at the bottom of the screen.

Do you ask the agent ahead of time to let you know when your zone is boarding? If you cannot hear, but let the agent know your zone and where you'll be standing, the agent would likely motion towards you when it's time to board.

Have you considered asking a fellow passenger to please let you know when your zone is boarding? I've had fellow passengers ask me, "What zone is boarding?" many, many times. I've also asked strangers this questions when I get to the gate, there are no monitors, and boarding has already started. (I learned to do this after I once saw boarding had started, rushed onto the plane only to be taken off the plane later when it was discovered I had boarded the wrong flight!)
Monitors with boarding zones? Never seen one except at SLC. I see them with stand by and upgrades but not boarding zone.

Ask the agent? Done a few times, said they would, never did.

Ask another passenger? I am hearing impaired, I can not understand their answer either. So I hold up fingers and ask again. They reply in words. after three times, they unusually get it but it is often not my zone. So I have to count off announcements. If they make an extra one, I get in line too early.

I have had only two good experiences with zone boarding. I did one time ask the OA to let me know when Zone 4 was starting as I was hearing impaired. She said for me to get in line behind the Priority folks and I did.

As second time I was turned back as I was boarding out of order. I went to the back of the line and a GA saw I was upset and asked what was wrong. I said "I am hearing impaired and I can not understand the announcements and she sent me to the back of the line because I was out of order." The GA walked me to the from of the line and explained.

That was it. Twice in all of my DL, US, and UA flights. Not a lot of them as I avoid them with a passion. I will take WN and a plane change any day.

The other issue is even more important while I am here. I carry about $15,000 of very sensitive electronics in my carry on that I use in my work. I can not run the risk of a forced bag check just because I have no status and enough folks have boarded before me to fill bin space with bags that might have been checked if not for the overpriced bag fees. Even gate checks make me nervous, but I can live with them. It is the occasional, "you have to give it up and no you can not gate check" that gets me. I will stay off the flight if I can not stay with my tools. If it were not for my tools, I would board at the end, kick my computer under my assigned seat, and it would not matter. As it is, I at least need to board with the group with which I am assigned.

So, I fly Southwest wherever I can, and when I can not, then I have to go through this.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:59 am

Monitors with boarding zones? Never seen one except at SLC. I see them with stand by and upgrades but not boarding zone.
Whenever boarding starts, screens will display a green area on the bottom saying what zone(s) they're currently boarding.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Whenever boarding starts, screens will display a green area on the bottom saying what zone(s) they're currently boarding.
I fly DL again in a couple of months. I will look for them.

I am on US this week and I am dreading it. As I walk though the gate area at my home airport I will check for the monitor area you mention.

INK
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
For the record, it is possible to be near the agent/counter WITHOUT blocking the pathway...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:11 am

I fly DL again in a couple of months. I will look for them.

I am on US this week and I am dreading it. As I walk though the gate area at my home airport I will check for the monitor area you mention.

INK
My bad, I should clarify that you'll only see that information on displays with upgrade/standby/flight information (in other words, the screens that DL puts in, not screens the airport runs).
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
I just had an epiphany. Back when people were able to go through security to the gate without a boarding pass, gate lice were not a big problem. Rather, people wanted to spend every last second with their friend/relative/partner before boarding.

If they let people through again, we could possible eradicate the gate lice. Sure, it will mean more people in the security line; but not in the SP security line. Then when they call boarding, the elites can board with ease and the kettles will be too busy saying their last "goodbyes" to infest the boarding area.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zomba
This is from my PVG-PUS flight on KE last week:

Boarding didn't start for another 15 minutes, and were were getting on a 737 for a 1hr flight. There were plenty of seats in the boarding area, yet most chose to choke-off the Business/Elite+ lane. GRRR

My own fault for leaving the lounge early...
But this is China, always like that. One good thing is that you almost always have overhead space.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by bstndance
I just had an epiphany. Back when people were able to go through security to the gate without a boarding pass, gate lice were not a big problem. Rather, people wanted to spend every last second with their friend/relative/partner before boarding.

If they let people through again, we could possible eradicate the gate lice. Sure, it will mean more people in the security line; but not in the SP security line. Then when they call boarding, the elites can board with ease and the kettles will be too busy saying their last "goodbyes" to infest the boarding area.
Pure genious sir!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.