Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Bicostal
The on-board interaction clearly makes daddy out to be an *ss. However, did it not occur to the OP that the (likely) sarcastic "excuse me" earlier at the SP carpet was an indication that the louse was in line and the subsequent step in front from the side move was (or could be interpreted) as a "cut"?

I have a problem with folks who, for whatever reason, think that when 1st is called and they are in FC they can go directly to the front of the line by squeezing in from the side. There are likely 12 or more equally endowed DYKWIAs already in a single file line and not all of them are on the carpet.

And really - a guy with kids in MCO - would it really have been that big of a deal to let him go ahead of you - or at least ask if he's up front and would he like to baord first?
you bring up valid points...

But the original excuse me, was a bit awkward, and out of place. I assumed he was just upset that I was in his space while trying to read the GIDS. Sorry, but I do not have the best of vision so I do not try to read it from across the terminal.

2nd, if it were clear that he was in the SP line, I would have no issue, but when a proper line is not formed, it is hard to tell.

And the fact that this is MCO, is the primary reason that I would not make exception. Case and point- i flew US FC on Friday from PHX to MCO. US still does preboard for MCO. Upon calling preboard, about 50 people boarded with everything from infants to tweens. I am happy DL does not attempt such in MCO.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Date: 8/5/11
Flight: DL687 - ATL-GCM
Subject(s): Man in blue shirt with two carry-on bags

Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:35 pm

The worst gate lice I have ever seen in my life was at LHR.
The GA approached the counter and everyone rushed the gate.
When she asked everyone to step back and allow pre boarding of people needing assistance or parents with young children, no one moved. Then again I love parents with 10 and 12 years olds trying to pre board as well.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Wiirachay

He is sooooo far from the gate, compared to most of my experiences..... That actually looks like a pretty civil setting!!

Now at MCO the other day, imagine all of those people at the door....

However, out the left hand corner of the pic, is that someone in the SP lane???
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
He is sooooo far from the gate, compared to most of my experiences..... That actually looks like a pretty civil setting!!

Now at MCO the other day, imagine all of those people at the door....

However, out the left hand corner of the pic, is that someone in the SP lane???
I agree...very minor infestation.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton

Not very big spread, but was SP boarding at that time? (I see a person on the far left, looks like they are moving.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Agree. That's where I like to hang out when I get to the gate prior to boarding - out of everyone's way pretty much but still close enough to the carpet.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If you can see across the hall, minor. I've seen way worse lately.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by N639DL
Not very big spread, but was SP boarding at that time? (I see a person on the far left, looks like they are moving.
Boarding hadn't started yet! No announcements regarding boarding were made at the time. Hence, I mark him as gate lice for hanging out there.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: dl gold, Senator, premier
If in LHR, boarding for United First class is called, atleast 250People rush to the gate until the gate agent screams for people to back up. Kind of sad to see.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
My fuse gets shorter and shorter with gate lice. I encountered this head scratcher (get it, lice, head scratcher...) on Friday, boarding #950. the mass was huddled around the tiny gate area when F was called. I worked my way around the human obstacle course, which included a group of children sitting on the floor next to the line, up to where the rope separates SP from the other line. I was stuck behind two women, who were not moving. I asked if they were in line to get on the plane, and the one woman turned around and said, "No, we are waiting for Zone (whatever)."

So I had to ask, "Why are you standing here, blocking those of us who are boarding before you." The woman again replied, "We are waiting for Zone (whatever)." She didn't move, get out of the way, apologize, realize she was an idiot, or any of the things a normal person would do when blocking someone trying to board. She just stood there cluelessly blocking everyone's way because she was waiting for Zone (whatever).

While walking over the sitting children to get past this human pylon, I muttered, "You know they call people like you gate lice on the Internet." I didn't stop to see if she said anything. I was already just about the last person in F boarding and was worried about overhead space.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:16 pm

Boarding hadn't started yet! No announcements regarding boarding were made at the time. Hence, I mark him as gate lice for hanging out there.
Sorry, doesn't look like lice to me either. I stand a little behind him sometimes simply because I don't feel like sitting when I am going to sit again for a few hours, or I just got down from the SC and don't want to look for a seat in the crowded area when boarding might begin soon. Would you rather he stand across the aisle and then come charging when they call boarding?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by runfit
Sorry, doesn't look like lice to me either. I stand a little behind him sometimes simply because I don't feel like sitting when I am going to sit again for a few hours, or I just got down from the SC and don't want to look for a seat in the crowded area when boarding might begin soon. Would you rather he stand across the aisle and then come charging when they call boarding?
The running start helps power through the first ring of children and elderly...once you penetrate the nest it is easier to borough your way to the gate. The strong will make it through to conception...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:41 pm

The running start helps power through the first ring of children and elderly...once you penetrate the nest it is easier to borough your way to the gate. The strong will make it through to conception...
I will have to try that - and then do you finish the run by making a dive into your seat? Now THAT would be cool!
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
interesting...the guy in the SP is the bigger louse...

Now that I was in this thread, I remembered the gate lice in BOS in April. This was around 6pm for a 6:40 scheduled departure (which actually didn't board until 6:25).

Look at the guy that's standing out of the SP lane but yet on his phone...DKYWIA much?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53718050@N07/5888646176/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.