Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why stick with Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Why stick with Delta?

Hi all, new to FT and enjoying all the discussions. I've probably only taken a total of 7 rt flights (4 international) in the past few years, but I'm looking to fly a bit more and also take advantage of mileage programs, so that's why I'm here.

Anyway, I recently flew Delta from MSP to NRT and had a shocking experience. Even now, I feel sick and just feel bad whenever I hear the word "Delta."

I have 46,000 Skymiles, and not much of anything with other carriers.

If you look at the other forums, Delta seems to be disproportionately filled with unhappy customers. Threads about getting cheated or ripped off somehow are a lot more common. What I don't understand is, a number of posters claim that Delta started to go "bad" in the 1990s. If that's true, how can people put up with that for so long?

I'm probably going to focus on other airlines, maybe AA. The way I see it is, if someone offered me $50 to lose my clothing, make me sick, treat me like a felon and steal time with friends and family, I would, uh, refuse that offer.

But before I make this choice... what am I missing? What do happy Delta customers see that I don't?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by topflight
Anyway, I recently flew Delta from MSP to NRT and had a shocking experience. Even now, I feel sick and just feel bad whenever I hear the word "Delta."
Tell us the shocking experience please.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:14 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Care to elaborate on what made you so unhappy?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
As for me, I'm a hub captive myself and the last 2200 miles of my commute to work every 6 weeks or so is on a carrier that is Sky Team with no *A or OW to compete with. I'm kinda stuck where I am with Delta/ST for those two reasons.

I am looking elsewhere though...
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by fly4work
Care to elaborate on what made you so unhappy?
Appears to have been a mechanical problem for which the OP was offered 25K miles or $200.00

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-issues-3.html
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

In that post I forgot to mention that the food (on the next-day rebooked flight) made both my girlfriend and I sick, which personally almost never happens to me. They also lost our luggage. To top it off, they treated us with contempt.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

In that post I forgot to mention that the food (on the next-day rebooked flight) made both my girlfriend and I sick, which personally almost never happens to me. They also lost our luggage. To top it off, they treated us with contempt.
According to your first post in this thread:
"I'm probably going to focus on other airlines, maybe AA. The way I see it is, if someone offered me $50 to lose my clothing, make me sick, treat me like a felon and steal time with friends and family, I would, uh, refuse that offer."
So, are you going to refuse the 25000 miles or $200.00 which was offered?
Just curious.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you look at the other forums, Delta seems to be disproportionately filled with unhappy customers. Threads about getting cheated or ripped off somehow are a lot more common. What I don't understand is, a number of posters claim that Delta started to go "bad" in the 1990s. If that's true, how can people put up with that for so long?
Are they? Delta carries over 160 million people per year.

Southwest? 101.
American? 85.
United? 81.
Continental? 62.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_largest_airlines

So, yes all things being equal I would expect to see more complaints about DL simply because of their size. I'm not excusing or apologizing for DL behavior, just suggesting that # of complaints (in a subjective forum such as this) is probably not a good indicator of larger trends.

I haven't done any sort of statistical analysis on it, but the FlyerTalker population isn't exactly a "random sample" -- we've got a lot of sampling bias here.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by woody125
As for me, I'm a hub captive myself

I am looking elsewhere though...
Ditto. Right now DL is my only option if I want non-stop (meaning 2.5 hours or less commute compared to around 5 or 6 if I start connecting).

The only advice I can offer is start with who flies most out of where you're based, try a few of the airlines out, and decide from there. For me right now, convenience wins out over lack of service.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by BobRoss

Southwest? 101.
American? 85.
United? 81.
Continental? 62.

So, yes all things being equal I would expect to see more complaints about DL simply because of their size. I'm not excusing or apologizing for DL behavior, just suggesting that # of complaints (in a subjective forum such as this) is probably not a good indicator of larger trends.

I haven't done any sort of statistical analysis on it, but the FlyerTalker population isn't exactly a "random sample" -- we've got a lot of sampling bias here.
However, there's also the fact the Delta is ranking at or near the bottom on an awful lot of c-sat surveys recently. That might be driven by size as well, but if it is, it's an indicator that Delta is now too large for its own good.

Last edited by Moebius01; Jan 20, 2010 at 8:28 am
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by BobRoss

Southwest? 101.
American? 85.
United? 81.
Continental? 62.

Riiight... let's just turn our heads away from reality
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Moebius01
However, there's also the fact the Delta is ranking at or near the bottom on an awful lot of c-sat surveys recently. That might be driven by size as well, but if it is, it's an indicator that Delta is now too large for it's own good.
This is true. I agree, they may be "too big to succeed". I'm not sure why there's this obsession to be "largest". Obviously there are some economies of scale in a large fixed-asset business as airlines, but man -- when something goes wrong (Irrops etc.) "The bigger they are the harder they fall".
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by Moebius01
However, there's also the fact the Delta is ranking at or near the bottom on an awful lot of c-sat surveys recently. That might be driven by size as well, but if it is, it's an indicator that Delta is now too large for it's own good.
too large and too unconcerned for it's own good. I am sure they have heard all the complaints related to their rusty website and non sense award redemption prices.. but have/will they do anything in a timely manner?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
To answer the OP's original question, I can think of no good reason for you to stick with DL. Suggest you move on to another carrier.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mike101
too large and too unconcerned for it's own good. I am sure they have heard all the complaints related to their rusty website and non sense award redemption prices.. but have/will they do anything in a timely manner?
Of course not. They're so big people have to fly them now. Why bother with actually trying to attract or create loyal customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.