Reload this Page >

Cruise Meet-up Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
Please feel free to delete cruises that have departed, and add your upcoming ones from the thread. This wiki is current through Post #572. Keeping this list in chronological order will make it easier for people to meet up.
06 May: MSC Explora I - 6 nights - Vancouver to Los Angeles - YVR Cockroach

15 Jun: Enchanted Princess - 7 nights - Caribbean (Port Everglades round-trip) - BamaVol
22 Jun: Diamond Princess - 9 nights - Japan's Southern Islands (Yokohama round-trip) - mahasamatman

01 Jul: Diamond Princess - 9 nights - Sea of Japan (Yokohama round-trip) - mahasamatman
28 Jul: Cunard Queen Mary 2 - 9 nights - Trans-Atlantic (NYC to Hamburg) - gretchendz

26 Aug: Silver Dawn - 10 Nights - Northern Europe (Norwegian Fjords) - pbjag

02 Sep: Seabourn Odyssey - 22 nights - Pacific Passage (Seattle to Yokohama) - 747FC
09 Sep: Cunard Queen Victoria - 7 nights - Mediterranean (Barcelona to Roma) - mahasamatman
16 Sep: Cunard Queen Victoria - 7 nights - Mediterranean (Roma to Trieste) - mahasamatman
23 Sep: Cunard Queen Victoria - 7 nights - Mediterranean (Trieste to Barcelona) - mahasamatman
30 Sep: Cunard Queen Victoria - 7 nights - Mediterranean (Barcelona to Istanbul) - mahasamatman

29 Nov: NCL Viva - 16 nights - Transatlantic (Lisbon to San Juan) - ysolde

02 Jan: Celebrity Solstice - 11 nights - Southeast Asia (Hong Kong to Singapore) - mahasamatman
14 Jan: Celebrity Millennium - 12 nights - Southeast Asia (Singapore to Bali) - mahasamatman

29 Mar: Discovery Princess - 7 nights - Pacific Coastal (San Pedro round-trip) - mahasamatman
30 Mar: Seabourn Quest - 14 nights - Japan (Yokohama to Yokohama) - 747FC

08 Apr: Grand Princess - 7 nights - Pacific Coastal (San Pedro to Vancouver) - mahasamatman

10 Jul: P&O Aurora - 16 nights - Northern Europe and Scandanavia (Southampton round-trip) - mahasamatman
26 Jul: P&O Aurora - 12 nights - Norwegian Fjords (Southampton round-trip) - mahasamatman

20 Dec: Regent Seven Seas Mariner - 21 nights - Island Rhythm and Coastal Charm (Miami round-trip) - ysolde
20 Dec: Viking Octantis - 17 nights - Antarctica and South Georgia Island - 747FC
Print Wikipost

Cruise Meet-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Retiring in March then taking a big trip. Part of it will be:
Holland Americy Noordam
New Zealand and South Pacific Crossing - 30 days
April 2 - May 1, 2020

We're excited to do the long cruise, and wonder what kind of experiences others have had with this kind of extended experience.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
anybody booked on the new ritz boat
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
We're excited to do the long cruise, and wonder what kind of experiences others have had with this kind of extended experience.
Our longest so far is 19 days, though a few years ago we did nearly back-to-back cruises of 10 and 13 days (in our "year of five cruises"). We love the longer cruises and always enjoy all the time on the ship.

I'm definitely planning a long one when I retire in 2022 - hoping to maybe get on the inaugural of Cunard's new ship.
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Holland Americy Noordam
April 2 - May 1, 2020

Congratulations on your impending retirement!

We have never done a 30 day cruise, but have done multiple cruises of 20-24 days length. In each case of cruises this length, we have been on relatively new and luxury ships. In each case, we loved our cruise, but were very ready for it to end by the time the cruise was over. While I can imagine a 30-day cruise, I cannot fathom how people take trips beyond that.

We just returned from a 24 day cruise, with 2 travel nights on planes, four pre-cruise nights in a hotel, and three post-cruise nights in a hotel. All-in-all, it was a long trip. It is our experience that after three weeks, we are ready for our own bed, our own routine, and our own cooking.

My nightmare first-world scenario would be to be on an extended cruise on an older ship that had maintenance issues and a staff that were so tired and bored that the service was terrible.

Good luck on your voyage!
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by 747FC
Holland Americy Noordam
April 2 - May 1, 2020

After my divorce, I did the first part of a world cruise on the Silver Whisper. I did 23 days of the 150 total. LA > N & S Pacific > Sydney. It was fantastic. After several days you got to know everybody on board and all the crew addressed you by name. The bartender on the 'deck' had my martini ready and perfect every day at 5 pm. Only problem at 60, I may have been the youngest and maybe one of few singles.

The food was great. You will enjoy it
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Cleaned up the wiki. Hoping that FlyerEC and mahasamatman are enjoying their recently-departed cruises.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"

We have never done a 30 day cruise, but have done multiple cruises of 20-24 days length. In each case of cruises this length, we have been on relatively new and luxury ships. In each case, we loved our cruise, but were very ready for it to end by the time the cruise was over. While I can imagine a 30-day cruise, I cannot fathom how people take trips beyond that.

We just returned from a 24 day cruise, with 2 travel nights on planes, four pre-cruise nights in a hotel, and three post-cruise nights in a hotel. All-in-all, it was a long trip. It is our experience that after three weeks, we are ready for our own bed, our own routine, and our own cooking.

My nightmare first-world scenario would be to be on an extended cruise on an older ship that had maintenance issues and a staff that were so tired and bored that the service was terrible.

We've just finalized our air travel to get to AKL and then back home again from SYD. Your mention of the travel above brings this to mind.

We're taking that looong SQ EWR-SIN flight, and the next morning, another SQ from SIN to AKL.
Coming home, we're going through HKG, so I hope the airport is calm (and not just for our own purposes, of course).

After the cruise, DH found a special place to spend one of our nights: IN the Sydney zoo!
They've got an upscale lodge (in addition to a more rustic option). And some of the rooms face a special animal sanctuary area. Nice! (We hope!) Other room choices include a "Harbor view"... but we'll have just gotten off our cruise, so I think not...
Should be interesting and certainly different, perhaps sort of a micro-Safari (?).

At some time, when DH finally takes a very belated retirement, we'll try for longer cruises. Thus far, we have *always* been sorry when a vacation ends.

GC
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:40 am

Our cruise is part of a "bucket-list" round-the-world trip that will last a total of 41 days. We've managed to snag business and first class tickets (mostly frequent flier miles) the whole way, so we'll be traveling in style. I'm really looking forward to the trip, but after that long, I imagine we'll be ready to sleep in our own beds as well!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Our cruise is part of a "bucket-list" round-the-world trip that will last a total of 41 days. We've managed to snag business and first class tickets (mostly frequent flier miles) the whole way, so we'll be traveling in style. I'm really looking forward to the trip, but after that long, I imagine we'll be ready to sleep in our own beds as well!
I will bet you will not want to leave. If it is a luxury cruse, they really pamper to you. But most of all "have fun". If you go to Tahiti, you must go to one of the hotels. The beaches otherwise are not great, but the hotels are.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by knownothing
I will bet you will not want to leave. If it is a luxury cruse, they really pamper to you. But most of all "have fun". If you go to Tahiti, you must go to one of the hotels. The beaches otherwise are not great, but the hotels are.
Thanks - no Tahiti on this cruise. 2 weeks around New Zealand, then New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa, and Hawaii. It should be fun!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

Pago Pago is very pretty. Not sure if you are doing America or Independent Samoa. Interesting tidbit. American Samoa has the highest % of recruits US Army than any other state in US
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Cleaned up the wiki. Hoping that FlyerEC and mahasamatman are enjoying their recently-departed cruises.
Thanks. We're back and I'm updating the Wiki again since Celebrity cancelled our 2021 Hawaii cruise and we moved to a different one.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:26 pm

Hedoman: sorry we missed you in Vancouver--we had to switch to a Princess ship for a homeport return.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:30 pm

still ready to cruise:
3 Dec - 18Dec : Round trip SF to Hawaii Grand Princess
2020 November-December: Dubai to Hong Kong Crystal Symphony Will need to work on the air and pre-stay details.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:58 am

DH happened to browse an advertisement listing and we are booked for a rnd trip Hong Kong cruise. A fantastic $$ for 15 days.

March 15 -- rnd trip Hong Kong (Taiwan Japan, China) Crystal Symphony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.