Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot that Costa was owned by Carnival:

http://www.businessinsider.com/carni...rce=feedburner
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I forgot that Costa was owned by Carnival:

http://www.businessinsider.com/carni...rce=feedburner
Curious why they included Costa in there but not Princess, which had it's share of problems over the last 10 years, not the least of the which was the Star Princess fire (http://www.caribbeanshipping.org/ima...cess-burnt.jpg)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I just wish the stock price would drop more quickly. I'm still kicking myself for not buying in at ~$15 in 2009.

Each of the incidents that has occurred is unrelated to the others and each one can and has happened on other lines recently. IMHO it's just dumb bad luck that several incidents have piled up all at once on some of Carnival's ships.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I hope for Carnival's sake that they can get the Legend fixed soon given a TATL repo scheduled in 3 weeks. It'll limp across on a gimpy motor and I'd hate to imagine being on board if all propulsion is lost mid-Atlantic.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I hope for Carnival's sake that they can get the Legend fixed soon given a TATL repo scheduled in 3 weeks. It'll limp across on a gimpy motor and I'd hate to imagine being on board if all propulsion is lost mid-Atlantic.
It's an Azipod failure, not a power generation failure. Azipod failures, sadly, are quite common, but they're also fairly easily repaired. It'll likely be repaired during it's current voyage.

This incident wouldn't have made it past a few complaints on cruisecritic had it not followed so closely the Triumph incident.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Carnival has become a freakin' circus!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It's an Azipod failure, not a power generation failure. Azipod failures, sadly, are quite common, but they're also fairly easily repaired. It'll likely be repaired during it's current voyage.
e.
Still an electric motor failure (I take it an azipod is just an electric motor hung on the bottom of the hull) that will take divers for a simple fix or drydock to replace or do more serious repairs?

I was going to meet a fellow FTer a few years ago in Dubrovnik but their RSSC cruise got canned after a a zipod failed.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:37 pm

now P&O Adonia in the spot

now the P&O world cruise ship Adonia with a passenger incident - an old couple (Adonia guests) was robbed and shot March 17 while Adonia was docked in Bridgetown Barbados (call port from the round world itinerary) - couple is alive. I'm sure media will do a Carnival connection - one of the Corporation's ships and all
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:38 pm

what a "Carnival crazy" month this March is!?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmpcase
now the P&O world cruise ship Adonia with a passenger incident - an old couple (Adonia guests) was robbed and shot March 17 while Adonia was docked in Bridgetown Barbados (call port from the round world itinerary) - couple is alive. I'm sure media will do a Carnival connection - one of the Corporation's ships and all
Well, off-ship robbery isn't new and not entirely the fault of the cruise line. Ports are generally seedy areas to begin with and some seedier than others. Was reading the blog of a woman who travelled from northern France to Australia and back via the Panama. The freighter's captain would not let passengers off to visit/shop at certain Central American ports!

http://voyages-madeleine-guillou.over-blog.com/
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:24 pm

Adonia update

news on Adonia ship incident - the two shot and robbed inBarbados P&O Adonia passengers has been discharged from the hospital to continue with their World cruise itinerary sailing from St Kitts to Southampton. I'm just guessing here, but it's possible P&O to use this unfortunate event to promote the Adonia World cruise 2014 (itinerary, schedule and cruise prices) by granting the couple a complimentary cruise - this time a 112-night around the world tour - that would be a real deal!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Still an electric motor failure (I take it an azipod is just an electric motor hung on the bottom of the hull) that will take divers for a simple fix or drydock to replace or do more serious repairs?

I was going to meet a fellow FTer a few years ago in Dubrovnik but their RSSC cruise got canned after a a zipod failed.
You have a good idea of what an Azipod is. It looks like a giant outboard motor from a boat, slung beneath the hull of a ship. It's got a fully enclosed electric motor inside. The early Azipods have been a disaster from a reliability standpoint. Carnival Corp and RCI both use the same company to maintain all of their Azipods, and they still have trouble form time to time. It wouldn't have made the news at all without the Triumph incident to precede it.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
You would have thought all of this would have really dampened their stock but it has been rather stable.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by bazers
You would have thought all of this would have really dampened their stock but it has been rather stable.
It's down $3 to $4 from right before all the issues. (I'm not going to argue much, my dividends get reinvested, and it was down for dividend time ). But heck, even the Costa sinking, the stock only dropped for a few days, then was back up. There'll be some hit on the financials for this stuff, but the reality is, long term I don't really expect a huge impact (barring them continuing to have issues, but I think this is more a blip than anything else). The ships are still sailing full and I don't really see that changing.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bazers
It's taken a ~10% hit or so. I was hoping it would drop to $20 so I could buy some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.