Reload this Page >

Not a good year for Carnival - Another Ship with Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not a good year for Carnival - Another Ship with Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Per FlightAware, looks like Delta got the call from Carnival again (around a dozen DL charters were called in for the Carnival Triumph). Several charter flights scheduled ATL-SXM today. Returns look to be via MCO.

http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/KATL/TNCM

A332, B763, B752, B764 in addition to the regular daily flight.

(I don't know how airlines other than DL code their charter flights, so some of the other flights listed could be charters as well.)

Last edited by PRWeezer; Mar 15, 2013 at 4:47 am
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Somebody asked about those without passports. I suspect the passport-less will be on the charters, to make it easier for CBP. Alternatively, I suspect those with passports that need to fly further than MCO will be given priority for the scheduled flights.

Sounds like the situation onboard since they made the fly home announcement has been quite fun.

Also, Carnival Legend is now having propulsion problems and limping back to Tampa. Definitely time for a review of maintenance procedures.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
+1 and LOL's - that or lots of 738's charters, plus, urrrr - lots of excess checked luggages. Many cruisers are known to bring half of their personal belongings on a weeklong cruise to the Caribs ...
Yeah - tell me about it - my wife is one of that crowd.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:32 am

Plus, the triage for who gets priority to board the first & second flight, seat assignments - children & elderly and those with medical needs first, or those pax paying top dollars (suite & balcony vs. inside cabins) - not going to a pretty scene if they have to line up to get their flight's BP, etc.
You make it sound like an emergency evacuation. I'm sure the biggest issue will be people not wanting to be on the first planes home. They have the use of the ship and they are in St Maarten. Who wants to rush home from that? I'm sure people that had a long drive to Port Canaveral will want to fly back sooner rather than later so they can get on the road on their normal schedule. But I bet there are a lot of people saying "last flight out please".
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:55 am

Delta's been picking up a fair bit of business from Carnival lately .

I used to be one of those that took way too much for a week long caribbean cruise, learned better after the first trip or two (plus baggage fees made bringing too much a bad idea). What's real bad though is when you have a post-cruise tour arranged for 9 people when 7 of those 9 were on the ship for approximately a month (my wife and I were the 2 that had only been on 2 weeks). Even warning the tour company they were a little overwhelmed by the amount of luggage involved.

Oh, and Carnival has yet another broken ship out there right now. The Legend is experiencing propulsion problems, skipped Grand Cayman and is headed back to port. Bad month for Carnival. (Although admittedly, propulsion problems are probably more common than a lot of people realize on a cruise ship.)
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
+1 and LOL's - that or lots of 738's charters, plus, urrrr - lots of excess checked luggages. Many cruisers are known to bring half of their personal belongings on a weeklong cruise to the Caribs ...

Who has a fleet of 747's on standby, aren't most of them mothballed out at the Mojave desert in California, stripped for parts or otherwise baking naked in the sun? And, qualified pilots & crews to fly them on short notice...
You may seriously underestimate the scale of the U.S. airline industry. Delta, American and United each have a fleet or more than 120 active widebody aircraft. DL and UA have more than 1,000 aircraft each when including regional affiliates. Delta and Southwest each had over 300,000 passenger boardings in an average day in February. 3,500 cruise ship passengers (not previously planning to use the SXM airport) may overwhelm certain airport facilities, but for big U.S. carriers, this is just a little blip.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This is why people should never board a cruise ship, no matter where it's scheduled to go, without having a passport.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You may seriously underestimate the scale of the U.S. airline industry. Delta, American and United each have a fleet or more than 120 active widebody aircraft. DL and UA have more than 1,000 aircraft each when including regional affiliates. Delta and Southwest each had over 300,000 passenger boardings in an average day in February. 3,500 cruise ship passengers (not previously planning to use the SXM airport) may overwhelm certain airport facilities, but for big U.S. carriers, this is just a little blip.
And you can bet Carnival is paying a premium, so it's an easy decision for the airlines to pay overtime to make it happen. The plane spotters on Maho Beach will probably be enjoying the next couple days lol.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
This is why people should never board a cruise ship, no matter where it's scheduled to go, without having a passport.
A big +1 - it is always better to play safe in situations like this.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by piper28
Oh, and Carnival has yet another broken ship out there right now. The Legend is experiencing propulsion problems, skipped Grand Cayman and is headed back to port. Bad month for Carnival. (Although admittedly, propulsion problems are probably more common than a lot of people realize on a cruise ship.)
OMG - they really are struggling to catch a break.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OMG - they really are struggling to catch a break.
And Carnival is being exceptionally generous with the passengers on the Legend. A $100 credit per person and 50% off a future cruise. All for missing Grand Cayman, which half the people whine about having to take a tender ashore anyway and don't bother.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Actually, this type of situation it's probably not going to be a big deal. Because they're having to deal with everyone, Carnival's going to have to (and apparently has) worked with CBP to deal with those that don't have a passport. I'd be far more worried about those times when you might have to leave this ship on your own and not have the cruiseline really helping to get you back (say medical emergency).

(I'm in no way advocating not getting a passport before you cruise though. If you're going to take a cruise, cough up the extra money to get the passport. Unexpected stuff happens, you never know if you'll need it.)
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Actually, this type of situation it's probably not going to be a big deal.
It's probably going to be much less of a deal for people with passports than it is going to be for those without.

As ABC is reporting

Some of the passengers likely do not have passports, an issue that could slow down re-entry to the U.S. via flight. Passengers on a "closed loop" cruise -- that is, a cruise that begins and ends in the same U.S. port -- do not need a passport even if their ship calls on ports outside the country. However, a passport is required for all passengers returning to the U.S. from outside the country via air.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Maybe it is time for the DOT to ground all Carnivals ships and have them checked out thoroughly before allowing them to set sail again.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Maybe it is time for the DOT to ground all Carnivals ships and have them checked out thoroughly before allowing them to set sail again.
Despite the fact that in 21 days I will be on my next Carnival cruise, I am so hopeful that a top to bottom check-up will be do e each and every one if their ships each week before my cruise. No more bad news in the News for CCL! Please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.