Not a good year for Carnival - Another Ship with Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not a good year for Carnival - Another Ship with Problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
$20 would be nice. I'd buy 100 shares for my wife if it did that. I was fortunate to buy RCL when it dropped to $9 a few years back.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I'm still kicking myself for not buying at $15 in early 2009. I was holding out for $10.

On a side note, it's interesting that CNN (and everyone else, for that matter) seems to have forgotten to report on the fact that Carnival Breeze rescued two stranded mariners from a disabled sailboat yesterday. I'm sure it was merely an oversight.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
On a side note, it's interesting that CNN (and everyone else, for that matter) seems to have forgotten to report on the fact that Carnival Breeze rescued two stranded mariners from a disabled sailboat yesterday. I'm sure it was merely an oversight.
Nah, that would be good news, and the media doesn't report that . Now if they'd sailed by someone that may or may not have been barely within site that was in distress, they'd be crucifying the captain. I'm a little more surprised that they haven't seemed to pick up on the man overboard that resulted in a death on the Coral Princess. (From Cruise Critic, reportedly the person had been seen climbing on the railings.)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More bad news for Carnival: Triumph breaks free from it's moorings at BAE Systems, incurs damage, workers injured.

I'm guessing this will cost BAE some money.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:57 pm

In fairness, at least this one probably isn't Carnival's fault . CNN at one point had some cell phone footage that was played of the whole event, but I haven't been able to find it since the live feed of it went out. Really impressive wind gust went through and just yanked the ship from the dock, took it all the way over and ran it into the dredge/ship on the other side of the channel.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. I suspect the liability lies with BAE.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:42 pm

I still haven't been able to find that cell phone footage that I saw on cnn while they were running live video. It was pretty impressive to watch the ship being blown around.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
More bad news for Carnival: Triumph breaks free from it's moorings at BAE Systems, incurs damage, workers injured.

I'm guessing this will cost BAE some money.
Especially with one of their employees missing after going into the water when this happened.

Here are a couple videos of other cruise ships breaking free of moorings in hogh winds.

MSC ship breaks free.

http://youtu.be/AIa7WhN60Bk

Norwegian Star breaks free and collides with Explorer of the Seas in Bermuda. How many times can one woman not having sex say Oh my God lol

http://youtu.be/rH9Lv8gwqqE
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, apparently the men who went in the water had nothing to do with Triumph. They were on another dock.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:21 pm

Carnival Triumph now with dock problems

The Triumph with another incident - really?!?!

Last edited by tmpcase; Apr 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:32 pm

about the ship's mooring fiasco - the latest Carnival cruise ship Triumph incident resulted in a 20 ft gash (starboard side). See this photo for the damage
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last month, Sen Jay Rockefeller penned a letter to Micky Arison, the chairman of the Carnival Corp. Board, saying he was aware of “90 serious events that have occurred” on its cruise ships resulting in U.S. Coast Guard action. The two most serious of these incidents—a fire on Carnival Splendor in 2010 that left 4,500 people stranded at sea for days, and the Triumph fiasco—cost the Coast Guard and the Navy about $4.2 million. With reports that the Coast Guard could lose 25 percent of its operating budget under sequestration cuts, every penny counts.
“These costs ultimately must be borne by federal taxpayers,” Rockefeller continued in his letter. “Given that you reportedly pay little or nothing in federal taxes, do you intend to reimburse the Coast Guard and the Navy for the cost of responding?”
Without actually using the word, Carnival’s response was essentially “No.”

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congr...tself-20130405
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:40 pm

Really, Carnival pays little or no federal tax? I would be surprised to find that to be true. That has nothing to do with the ships being registered in other countries (they aren't eligible to be US flagged anyway). Carnival Corp is still a US (and UK) company.

Now, what happens if somebody runs into problems with their private boat and needs USCG assistance? Do they get a bill? Even if they have means to pay? Honestly, I don't know. But if they don't, then why should Carnival?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by DanJ
Really, Carnival pays little or no federal tax? I would be surprised to find that to be true. That has nothing to do with the ships being registered in other countries (they aren't eligible to be US flagged anyway). Carnival Corp is still a US (and UK) company.
All sorts of ways to hide the profits offshore. Carnival (as well as a lot of large U.S. companies) excels at that reportedly only paying 1.1% on its profits of $11 billion over the last 5 years.

While Carnival might operate in the U.S., it is reportedly incorporated in Panama.

As far as Arison's statement that Carnival pays port taxes. That might be true but its a conduit from customers who Carnival passes the payment through.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...ate-stirs-ire/
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanJ
I would be surprised to find that to be true.
Would you be surprised if I told you General Electric (Connecticut HQ) pays little or no US income tax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.