FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

themicah Feb 11, 2010 8:04 am

Originally Posted by perkunas (Post 13366637)
Either way, this card seems like one of the best deals out there. 5000 points after first purchase + 5000 point for balance transfer, effectively means $200 instant reward. Even if they don't waive the first year of the annual fee, you've got 3 yrs free with a 5K balance transfer. At 4% return, I think I just talked myself into signing up.

Note that there's a $50 fee for that balance transfer.

Another quick question: point earnings here are unlimited, right? There's no annual cap?

doctor15 Feb 11, 2010 9:36 am

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 13370218)

Another quick question: point earnings here are unlimited, right? There's no annual cap?

Actually I thought the fee was 3% which would make it $150. Not worth it IMO, but it does effectively give you $200 in rewards + close to a year of interest free money.

themicah Feb 11, 2010 10:21 am

Originally Posted by doctor15 (Post 13370828)
Actually I thought the fee was 3% which would make it $150. Not worth it IMO, but it does effectively give you $200 in rewards + close to a year of interest free money.

The current T&C's say balance transfer fees are: "Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. (During the first nine billing cycles after account opening, either $5 or 3% of each transfer, whichever is greater (maximum fee $50))."

perkunas Feb 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 13371180)
The current T&C's say balance transfer fees are: "Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. (During the first nine billing cycles after account opening, either $5 or 3% of each transfer, whichever is greater (maximum fee $50))."

I thought I had read "Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is LESS."

Thank you for the notification/clarification.

It still looks like a good deal to me, especially the 2x points on ALL purchases (considering I'm on Flex Perks which is mostly 1x points). I also like the fact that I can earn EQM/RDM on award tix (5-10K EQM means a lot for a UA 2P hoping to make 1P). I've read plenty of good info about the SPG AmEx, but I don't stay in hotels all that much and I value travel quantity over travel quality (probably cuz I can't yet afford the quality!). :D

nydad Feb 13, 2010 9:42 am

I just learned about this card, and it seems great. One question, though, is that I cannot find any information about this card at the issuing bank's website:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/

Are they trying to discontinue this product?

volkswankin Feb 14, 2010 8:22 am

I wonder if Citi is aware of this and will bring back the $400 award ticket for 20K TYP (Premier Pass) they discontinued in March '09 to compete with this card.

somdave2005 Feb 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by volkswankin (Post 13387628)
I wonder if Citi is aware of this and will bring back the $400 award ticket for 20K TYP (Premier Pass) they discontinued in March '09 to compete with this card.

I doubt Citi will be making any improvements in the Thank you network in the near future, the way they've been getting hammered by the economic crisis. Either way, the Travelocity card is not a big enough program to threaten Citi's cards at all. Barely anyone know or have this card outside of Flyertalk.

g50 Feb 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 13383574)
I just learned about this card, and it seems great. One question, though, is that I cannot find any information about this card at the issuing bank's website:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/

Are they trying to discontinue this product?

Click on the "career site" tab next to the "corporate site" tab. You will see the Travelocity card there.

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 13388713)
I Barely anyone know or have this card outside of Flyertalk.

Even inside Flyertalk.

HCA Feb 14, 2010 8:23 pm

This card seems good for flight ticket but not sure about hotel booking.

Anyone had research if Travelocity purchase earn qualify stays/nights in each hotel chain?

Hilton:
Marriott:
IHG: seems no?
SPG:
Hyatt: seems no?

JudyJFLA Feb 14, 2010 11:36 pm

This card is also great for the Mint coin deal. I have used it multiple times. I order $2500 in coins and make $100 in credit over and over. I love the card!

JudyJFLA

g50 Feb 15, 2010 7:35 am

Originally Posted by HCA (Post 13390795)
This card seems good for flight ticket but not sure about hotel booking.

Anyone had research if Travelocity purchase earn qualify stays/nights in each hotel chain?

Hilton:
Marriott:
IHG: seems no?
SPG:
Hyatt: seems no?

They all should work, you are buying a regular room with real dollars through a travel agency and then getting a 4% per dollar spent credit fro Barclays. You can pick from a multiple of discounted rates and standard rates.
This actually seems perfect for Hyatt, because they don't have a credit card program. SPG hotels don't count reward stays toward status, so the travelocity card will help there as well.

For me the best is I have "points or dollars" at a better rate, for any hotel or airline.

nydad Feb 15, 2010 9:12 am

How much do they charge as FOREX fee?

g50 Feb 15, 2010 11:05 am

I think it is 3%. Barclays Airtran is. I know this not an option for some, but when traveling overseas, I use my ATM card at the airport and get cash.

nydad Feb 16, 2010 7:32 am

Originally Posted by g50 (Post 13393833)
I think it is 3%.

Ouch, 3% is really hefty. But, who's not in these days.

mia Feb 16, 2010 7:50 am

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 13399008)
Ouch, 3% is really hefty. But, who's not in these days.

Bank of America issues the Charles Schwab VISA with no foreign transaction fees:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...verything.html