FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

Happy Feb 23, 10 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by g50 (Post 13443699)
I am going with mia on this one. For the most part Travelocity is nothing like Priceline and Hotels.com. It is a travel agency. Book a rack rate and I feel sure you will get your upgrades and points. I never had a problem getting points when I booked through Centurion travel. Don't you get points when booking through your corporate travel agency?

OTOH, prepaid rooms booked on hotel chain's own website do earn points. You dont have to book rack rates on hotel chain's own website to earn stay points and bonus points - you only need to book "qualified" rates which includes rates with various discounts such as AAA and the like.

Also quite often the "advance purchase" room rates are not much higher than the "goodbuy" rates on Travelocity.

I dont have the card. While I am a bit tempted, I am not sure how much we can benefit from it when our hotel bookings tend to fall on 2 categories - directly booked from hotel chains websites taking advantages on various promos, and Priceline/hotwire. No need to pay for domestic air travel for at least next 2 to 3 years with the airline credits from the X'ed TYP tickets. So that part of earning also is out. The remaining reasons to use this card become far less compelling once the Travelocity bookings are out of the equation especially our PPE cards do not have annual fee. At least this is how it seems to be, in our own unique situation. :(

The sustainability of the reward program also worries me.

somdave2005 Feb 23, 10 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 13448868)
OTOH, prepaid rooms booked on hotel chain's own website do earn points. You dont have to book rack rates on hotel chain's own website to earn stay points and bonus points - you only need to book "qualified" rates which includes rates with various discounts such as AAA and the like.

Also quite often the "advance purchase" room rates are not much higher than the "goodbuy" rates on Travelocity.

I dont have the card. While I am a bit tempted, I am not sure how much we can benefit from it when our hotel bookings tend to fall on 2 categories - directly booked from hotel chains websites taking advantages on various promos, and Priceline/hotwire. No need to pay for domestic air travel for at least next 2 to 3 years with the airline credits from the X'ed TYP tickets. So that part of earning also is out. The remaining reasons to use this card become far less compelling once the Travelocity bookings are out of the equation especially our PPE cards do not have annual fee. At least this is how it seems to be, in our own unique situation. :(
The sustainability of the reward program also worries me.

How is that? the no annual on PPE. the only time I can get it waived is if i call to cancel and then they would offer to waive the annual fee if I spend $1500 in 3 months.

sfducati Feb 23, 10 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by somdave2005 (Post 13450112)
How is that? the no annual on PPE. the only time I can get it waived is if i call to cancel and then they would offer to waive the annual fee if I spend $1500 in 3 months.

I'm guessing the fees are waived through Citigold ..

cnsoccer Feb 24, 10 12:57 am

Im not sure if this is in the wrong forum but what credit agencies have been getting pulled when applying for this card?

skofarrell Feb 24, 10 3:17 am

There are no guarantees, but Barclays has always pulled TU for me.

g50 Feb 24, 10 7:39 am

You are correct. I should have used the term "qualified" rates instead of "rack rate". I would think there are other rates on Travelocity that will qualify for hotel points.

I dont have the card. While I am a bit tempted, I am not sure how much we can benefit from it when our hotel bookings tend to fall on 2 categories - directly booked from hotel chains websites taking advantages on various promos, and Priceline/hotwire.

True, but but you have to pay with real money for these. With Travelocity $10K spend = a $400 credit.

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 13446654)
Can I use points from this card to pay for:
Travelocity charges your card)
Postpaid hotel reservations: no (because the hotel--not Travelocity--charges your card, so there are no Travelocity charges to offset with points)

This one is actually yes. Booked a rack rate of 450 with taxes a couple of days ago. Used 400 credit. Got an upgrade. (Rosewood do not offer points). Statement has 400 credit and 450 charge from Travelocity Travel.

themicah Feb 24, 10 8:06 am

Originally Posted by g50 (Post 13453781)
This one is actually yes. Booked a rack rate of 450 with taxes a couple of days ago. Used 400 credit. Got an upgrade. (Rosewood do not offer points). Statement has 400 credit and 450 charge from Travelocity Travel.

Interesting. Was it prepaid or postpaid?

g50 Feb 24, 10 9:13 am

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 13453999)
Interesting. Was it prepaid or postpaid?

I think what people are talking about is:

Prepaid rate is: Hotel has a very low rate, offers no changes and is charged at time of booking. Most would not be a "qualifying rate" for points etc.

Post pay would be: Travelocity reserves the room or car and you pay at the hotel like a standard travel agency wood.

When selecting Travelocity points to pay for a "qualifying room" then you are basically prepaying a post pay room. If you did not select the pay with point for qualifying room then it would not charge your card.

This can be a problem if you want to cancel, though I would guess, the hotel would allow you to move your dates around. Like you can with the airlines (for a fee).

Happy Feb 24, 10 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by g50 (Post 13453781)
You are correct. I should have used the term "qualified" rates instead of "rack rate". I would think there are other rates on Travelocity that will qualify for hotel points.

True, but but you have to pay with real money for these. With Travelocity $10K spend = a $400 credit.

But the real money also earns something elsewhere, like pts on the spending, as well as pts on the hotel stay. It is in essence the same as when you earn the $400 credit from the $10K spend on the Travelocity, albeit the rate of return may be less than 4%, but there is an intangible benefit with the hotel stay credit / promotion bonus, such as the bonus points earned with Hyatt properties, and the frequent promotion bonuses earned with IHG properties.

My conclusion is, Travelocity hotel bookings can only be useful, for us anyway, on properties that dont earn points, do not offer elite status, no Stay X times, earn a free night type of thing... This eliminates about 85% of our regular hotel bookings...

Happy Feb 24, 10 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by skofarrell (Post 13452909)
There are no guarantees, but Barclays has always pulled TU for me.

Barclays pulled TU, and then EQ for me way back when I tried the US Airways card.

Schutzee Feb 24, 10 8:26 pm

I applied for and received my Travelocity MC in December. Barclays pulled all three!! :td:

g50 Feb 24, 10 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 13457351)
But the real money also earns something elsewhere, like pts on the spending, as well as pts on the hotel stay. It is in essence the same as when you earn the $400 credit from the $10K spend on the Travelocity, albeit the rate of return may be less than 4%, but there is an intangible benefit with the hotel stay credit / promotion bonus, such as the bonus points earned with Hyatt properties, and the frequent promotion bonuses earned with IHG properties.

But Hyatt does not have a credit card. Hilton is the only chain that I can think of that counts reward stays and I can't think of anyone that gives points for reward stays!

What credit card do you see better for earning rewards?

Happy Feb 24, 10 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by g50 (Post 13459634)
But Hyatt does not have a credit card. Hilton is the only chain that I can think of that counts reward stays and I can't think of anyone that gives points for reward stays!

What credit card do you see better for earning rewards?

Hyatt will have a Visa issued by Chase very soon.

I am not talking about reward stays. I am talking about incentives for earning EXTRA bonus points on a pay stays. Hyatt and IHG frequently do such promos. You can only earn such promos with promo codes entered when booking directly on hotel chain's websites, or pre-register such promos.

Such promo bonuses are often very generous and I would rather have those pts in my hotel accounts than have Travelocity pts that forces me to book the pre-paid stays with Travelocity in order to use those points.

It depends on your own needs to determine which Cards are to use for earning rewards. Often there is more than one card, each for its unique purpose.

Take the PPE card, after the devaluation it seems TYP is so worthless. Yet if you can manage to get an extra 4pt retention bonus from Citi, you can earn essentially 10% return when it couples with the flight points.

Under normal circumstances I guess SPG AMEX wins hands down for most FTers vote on its versatility in redemption.

cnsoccer Feb 25, 10 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee (Post 13459207)
I applied for and received my Travelocity MC in December. Barclays pulled all three!! :td:

Ooooh...sorry to hear that. I only ask because all my other cards have always pulled experian. So if barclays happens to pull TU nothing will show up in the other credit files?

Thanks for all your responses folks.

g50 Feb 25, 10 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 13459857)
Hyatt will have a Visa issued by Chase very soon.

I am not talking about reward stays. I am talking about incentives for earning EXTRA bonus points on a pay stays. Hyatt and IHG frequently do such promos. You can only earn such promos with promo codes entered when booking directly on hotel chain's websites, or pre-register such promos.

You can use Travelocity Mastercard on their site. You don't have to book through Travelocity.com to earn points. What credit card would you use in this case? Do you have a card for each hotel or are you not maximizing your spend? This card for the most part opens this points game up. With millions of points spread out, I am covered with most airlines and all the hotels. But they are so limiting and so much work to redeem.
I will look into the Hyatt card.

Such promo bonuses are often very generous and I would rather have those pts in my hotel accounts than have Travelocity pts that forces me to book the pre-paid stays with Travelocity in order to use those points.

If you use the chase IHG credit card (at their hotels) and get the 3 points for dollar, that would make sense. But I can't see using a hotel card for purchases at 1 pt per dollar, just not enough value.

It depends on your own needs to determine which Cards are to use for earning rewards. Often there is more than one card, each for its unique purpose.

Sure, There are other cards that work better for some. It really depends on the amount of spend. I have 10+ rewards cards and have found after getting the status, spend bonuses, and a bank of points, the Travelocity card is best for me.

Under normal circumstances I guess SPG AMEX wins hands down for most FTers vote on its versatility in redemption.

Only because they don't know about this card. I have redeemed millions of SPG points and I am here to tell you Travelocity M/C is better in mosr cases. SPG is only about 10% of my spend now. Just a few circumstances that SPG AMEX is better:
1.Some first/business class Int travel (if you can find the seats). 10%+ return if you are willing to pay full fare. But you will not earn points, mqms or upgrades.
2.Redeeming 1 night at a cat 1, 2 or 3 would work out better. For the most part Travelocity is best at $400 and above redemptions.
3. Around a cat 4 hotel that cost over $400 a night.
4. When using travelocity points for hotels, once booked can't cancel and put the points back. I am sure you can move the dates if you call the hotel direct but I see how this does not work for you.

Also just made a call to the SPG gold desk. They confirmed when booking at Travelocity.com, qualified rates will earn points and stays.

Hope this helps