FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

broadwayblue Aug 7, 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by thorthor (Post 12121006)
My math was correct but I edited the original post to make it clearer -
$10,000 gets you 20,000 points - and that gets you $400, which is 4% of the $10,000 you spent.

...so if you spend $20,000 on a airline rewards credit card you would still be short of getting a free domestic flight (which has many limitations on airline choice and dates), but with the TL master card it would get you $800 (to use on any airline/date , or for hotels etc.)
A much better alternative imho

....example 2 - with the spg amex $20,000 would get you one night in a categroy six hotel. With the TL MC you get $800 credit, which is likely enough for at least 2 nights at a comparable hotel (depending on location/dates of course).

If you spend 20k on your SPG Amex you get 25k miles on most airlines...enough for a free domestic flight (assuming you were foolish to redeem 25k miles for a domestic ticket in coach.

HCA Aug 9, 2009 12:38 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 12192654)
If you spend 20k on your SPG Amex you get 25k miles on most airlines...enough for a free domestic flight (assuming you were foolish to redeem 25k miles for a domestic ticket in coach.

$800 is far better than free domestic flight ticket in my opinion.
However, this card also has higher $69 annual fee than SPG's $45.

thorthor Aug 13, 2009 4:27 pm

well someone at the fatwallet forum made the call and they told him the reward chart found here applies:
http://svc.Travelocity.com/info/info...LEVELS,00.html

pretty great stuff.

thorthor Aug 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Oh, one more thing that occurred to me, when you book a flight reward on TC you also get the airline miles...

buschoi Aug 20, 2009 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by thorthor (Post 12222304)
well someone at the fatwallet forum made the call and they told him the reward chart found here applies:
http://svc.Travelocity.com/info/info...LEVELS,00.html

That is very tempting, although I already have SPG AMEX, Citi AA, US Bank Flexperks, and Citi PremierPass. Anyone can give me an excuse to pull the trigger? $20K spend for $800 of credit is a great deal, and the $69 annual fee becomes nothing if I can get that much of value out of the card. I just can't handle that many cards all at once, or I may ditch the US Bank Flexperks.

nfg05 Aug 31, 2009 8:12 pm

I'm in with buschoi, already have SPG Amex, Delta Amex, Schwab 2%, citi mtvU, etc... Is it really worth it to make the jump to this card.... What kind of credit limits are people getting?

budblab Sep 12, 2009 5:37 am

Verified 4% card

I have had this card for a few weeks and my first statement just closed. I used the link in the OP's first post (thanks!), and the card is earning points as described. I got a $12K limit. Tried to increase the limit and was told to check back in 6 mos. There is no limit to the number of points you can earn. The redemption process allows for 4% back as a statement credit when you use the card to purchase flights and/or hotels on Travelocity.com, according to this redemption scheme:
http://svc.travelocity.com/info/info...LEVELS,00.html
Best part is you choose how many points you want to redeem, and get the corresponding statement credit. You can redeem in $400 increments to get the best value.^^
Of note, the website and some of the papers that accompany the card are very confusing, describing the 3/2/1% earnings feature of the other Travelocity card. I emailed CS to make sure my acct was set up properly and got a statement in writing that it was, and I have been receiving the number of points I expected.

mia Sep 12, 2009 9:23 am

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12368994)
The redemption process allows for 4% back as a statement credit when you use the card to purchase flights and/or hotels on Travelocity.com, according to this redemption scheme:
http://svc.travelocity.com/info/info...LEVELS,00.html

Does your written confirmation explicitly verify that you can stack multiples of 20,000 points to redeem against a single purchase? The online terms for the card do not show the possibility of redeeming 200,000 points for a $4,000 credit to pay for one ticket.

budblab Sep 12, 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 12369557)
Does your written confirmation explicitly verify that you can stack multiples of 20,000 points to redeem against a single purchase? The online terms for the card do not show the possibility of redeeming 200,000 points for a $4,000 credit to pay for one ticket.

My written confirmation from them does not explicitly state this. When I go to the travelocity website to schedule an expensive flight, it allows me to pull up the redemption scheme in my post above to request the statement credit of my choosing. So yes, a $4000 credit would require 200,000 points. I cannot tell yet whether you can request a $400 credit to cover the price for (2) $200 flights, but I think that could also be the case.
In addition, it appears that you earn Travelocity points for the purchase, but I have not done this yet to confirm whether it is true. The website allows me to go through all of the steps to make a redemption, but I had to stop before hitting "confirm" because I am not ready to make travel plans yet, and once redeemed the points are nonrefundable.
I still have lots of airline credit from the February TYP devaluation, so it will be a while before I actually book any travel. Just wanted to share my experience and observations so far, as this card is very much out of the radar and it's difficult to find information.

mia Sep 12, 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12369836)
When I go to the travelocity website to schedule an expensive flight, it allows me to pull up the redemption scheme in my post above to request the statement credit of my choosing.

That's very encouraging, thank you for the details.

profxfiles Oct 6, 2009 8:54 am

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12368994)
I
Of note, the website and some of the papers that accompany the card are very confusing, describing the 3/2/1% earnings feature of the other Travelocity card. I emailed CS to make sure my acct was set up properly and got a statement in writing that it was, and I have been receiving the number of points I expected.

OK, I think I am confused. Is the 3/2/1 (3 points for Travelocity packages, 2 points for single Travelocity purchases, 1 point for all other purchases) scheme the only rewards program, or is there a separate rewards scheme that gives you 2 points for every dollar spent no matter what you spend it on? The only information I can find on-line is for the 3/2/1 program...

ON EDIT: Never mind, I found both programs... now the question is why did I get put in the 3/2/1 program and how do I switch to the 4/2 annual fee program?

budblab Oct 6, 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by profxfiles (Post 12538785)
OK, I think I am confused. Is the 3/2/1 (3 points for Travelocity packages, 2 points for single Travelocity purchases, 1 point for all other purchases) scheme the only rewards program, or is there a separate rewards scheme that gives you 2 points for every dollar spent no matter what you spend it on? The only information I can find on-line is for the 3/2/1 program...

ON EDIT: Never mind, I found both programs... now the question is why did I get put in the 3/2/1 program and how do I switch to the 4/2 annual fee program?

If you applied through the link in this thread, you should have been set up with the 4/2 annual fee program. You can check your acct on Barclay's website and determine whether you are receiving the correct number of points. The website is very confusing in its description of what your card earns, but the number of points should be correct if you applied through the link. If you applied for the card elsewhere, you most likely do have the other version of the card. You can try to call and ask Barclay's to switch you over, but you may find it easier to just apply for a new card via the proper link and cancel or sock-drawer the other one.

UncleDude Oct 6, 2009 12:15 pm

After using the Travelocity Call Center in India 3 different times they would have to give me at least 10% off what I spend on their card to use them. The are the Pits.

g50 Oct 7, 2009 11:25 pm

I called about this card a few weeks ago. It took me forever to get to someone who knew about this program. Rental cars and Hotels are no longer allowed unless part of a package. He said you can not combine two $200 flights. $400 credit was the max of per ticket with nothing back if the flight was under. I still might get this card for flights from $200 to $600. Earns miles and is better than spending 25k. That is if you can even find an award seat for 25k.

budblab Oct 9, 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by g50 (Post 12567079)
I called about this card a few weeks ago. It took me forever to get to someone who knew about this program.

I don't think you have found that person yet, based on my experience so far. :rolleyes:
I think you may be pleasantly surprised when you get the card and use it.