FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

somdave2005 Feb 25, 2010 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 13459857)
Hyatt will have a Visa issued by Chase very soon.

I am not talking about reward stays. I am talking about incentives for earning EXTRA bonus points on a pay stays. Hyatt and IHG frequently do such promos. You can only earn such promos with promo codes entered when booking directly on hotel chain's websites, or pre-register such promos.

Such promo bonuses are often very generous and I would rather have those pts in my hotel accounts than have Travelocity pts that forces me to book the pre-paid stays with Travelocity in order to use those points.

It depends on your own needs to determine which Cards are to use for earning rewards. Often there is more than one card, each for its unique purpose.

Take the PPE card, after the devaluation it seems TYP is so worthless. Yet if you can manage to get an extra 4pt retention bonus from Citi, you can earn essentially 10% return when it couples with the flight points.

Under normal circumstances I guess SPG AMEX wins hands down for most FTers vote on its versatility in redemption.

Hotel bonuses can be quite good sometimes with promos. You just have to decide how to pay for your hotel based on the situation. 8% cashback by paying through Travelocity website with the CC versus 4% cashback from CC + hotel bonus. Either way you still get at least 4% back by using the card.

Happy Feb 25, 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by cnsoccer (Post 13461063)
Ooooh...sorry to hear that. I only ask because all my other cards have always pulled experian. So if barclays happens to pull TU nothing will show up in the other credit files?

Thanks for all your responses folks.

This was my experience with Barclays 2 years ago on US Airways card. It first pulled TU which nobody did except Barclays. Then it wasn't happy with information on TU (thick history, yet 0 inquiry) and asked me to submit proof of legal residency status in US. After it received the proof, it pulled EQ again. To me they should not make a second pull once the info they asked for, was received and verified - especially they were not asking for any info related to financial situation but legal residency status.

somdave2005 Feb 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Just Received this card today. Again like other people, the documents are confusing and appear to be the documents for the no annual fee card with 3/2/1 rewards system. But the cardmember agreement is for the $69 annual fee card. So I'm not that worried about it. I'm going to use it today and hopefully the right points will show up.

Also went to the Travelocity website to link the card to Travelocity. Redeeming seems very easy and you redeem it at the time you pay for your travelocity purchase.

4% back on everything + airline miles for award redemptions here I come! This card will now be my primary card with SPG AMEX card being my secondary card (mostly to use at Costco).

HCA Feb 28, 2010 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 13448868)
OTOH, prepaid rooms booked on hotel chain's own website do earn points. You dont have to book rack rates on hotel chain's own website to earn stay points and bonus points - you only need to book "qualified" rates which includes rates with various discounts such as AAA and the like.

Also quite often the "advance purchase" room rates are not much higher than the "goodbuy" rates on Travelocity.

I dont have the card. While I am a bit tempted, I am not sure how much we can benefit from it when our hotel bookings tend to fall on 2 categories - directly booked from hotel chains websites taking advantages on various promos, and Priceline/hotwire. No need to pay for domestic air travel for at least next 2 to 3 years with the airline credits from the X'ed TYP tickets. So that part of earning also is out. The remaining reasons to use this card become far less compelling once the Travelocity bookings are out of the equation especially our PPE cards do not have annual fee. At least this is how it seems to be, in our own unique situation. :(

The sustainability of the reward program also worries me.

Around the same situation except I already used my TYN tickets thus I can probably can book flight on Travelocity if I get this card.

I have been closely watch this card (when I notice this in first few posts) but currently Citi AMEX (5%/3% TYN in 2nd year), Citi mtvU (5% restaurant/Amazon) and Charles Schwab (2% cashback) are good enough.

I do worry about how the reward program last.

somdave2005 Feb 28, 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Flyer737 (Post 13359512)
One factor to keep in mind... Travelocity is guaranteed to get the Travel Agent commission for the travel purchase (at redemption) along with the merchant fees when you use the credit card. This is fine with me and does help make it a little more affordable for them vs. the pure cash back and other cards.

I wonder how much the Travel Agent commission is? On top of the regular CC merchant fees (about 2-2.5%?), they would earn this travel agent commission for everything booked on Travelocity with this card. I'm assuming even Travelocity REWARD REDEMPTIONS will be earning some travel agent commission as well, and all rewards has to be booked through travelocity. so they would be earning some extra commission even on reward redemptions, as opposed to other credit cards that just give cashback or giftcards.

ps. Fatwallet pays 1.25% for Travelocity bookings, so this travel agent commission that Travelocity gets should be at least 1.25% and most likely higher.

nydad Mar 1, 2010 8:05 am

Just learned from a post in MilesBuzz that Barclays pulled the Travelocity MC; apparently mytravelocitycard.com is gone.

rpalmer03 Mar 1, 2010 10:10 am

Best Visa/M

After reading the majority of the posts on this thread I was ready to get this card! Am disappointed to find that the offer has ended. So I was looking to find a visa/mc as I have about $21000 in student debt that I can pay with visa/mc. I have a decent amt of frequent flyer points with DL so was hoping to find a good alternative to acquire hotel pts and hence free trips end to end :) The TL card was recommended for this but now it's gone. However, after looking a bit, it seems that my best bet in terms of value might be with an airline card, specificallythe BA card. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is there a better visa/mc that I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help!

somdave2005 Mar 1, 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by rpalmer03 (Post 13487780)
After reading the majority of the posts on this thread I was ready to get this card! Am disappointed to find that the offer has ended. So I was looking to find a visa/mc as I have about $21000 in student debt that I can pay with visa/mc. I have a decent amt of frequent flyer points with DL so was hoping to find a good alternative to acquire hotel pts and hence free trips end to end :) The TL card was recommended for this but now it's gone. However, after looking a bit, it seems that my best bet in terms of value might be with an airline card, specificallythe BA card. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is there a better visa/mc that I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help!

Call Barclays and see if you can apply over the phone.

cnsoccer Mar 3, 2010 2:42 am

So what happens t all who have beenapproved?

g50 Mar 3, 2010 6:10 am

Originally Posted by cnsoccer (Post 13500256)

Still works.

mia Mar 3, 2010 6:42 am

Originally Posted by cnsoccer (Post 13500256)

Do you mean individuals who have not yet received their cards?

g50 Mar 3, 2010 7:29 am

Called Barclays and they said you can still apply by phone. 1800 308 6008

jld22 Mar 3, 2010 6:35 pm

Yep, still available by phone. I applied last night and got instantly approved. Was only able to get 5k bonus points for signing up though, rather than the 10k that used to be available over the internet.

cnsoccer Mar 3, 2010 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by jld22 (Post 13505929)
Yep, still available by phone. I applied last night and got instantly approved. Was only able to get 5k bonus points for signing up though, rather than the 10k that used to be available over the internet.

What time of the day did you apply? What credit bureau did they pull?

Schutzee Mar 3, 2010 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jld22 (Post 13505929)

IIRC, the sign up bonus was 5000, and there was a bonus of up to 5000 for a balance transfer.