FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

g50 Oct 11, 2009 7:17 am

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12368994)
I have had this card for a few weeks and my first statement just closed. I got a $12K limit. Tried to increase the limit and was told to check back in 6 mos.

So you have not earned a level above $400 at this point. Unless you are prepaying. How do you know that you will be able to go over $400

The redemption process allows for 4% back as a statement credit when you use the card to purchase flights and/or hotels on Travelocity.com, according to this redemption scheme:
http://svc.travelocity.com/info/info...LEVELS,00.html

Link is from Aug 2006.
Terms for new card w/ $69 fee is https://www.juniper.com/app/japply/l...req=CCMWC21188
e) As a Cardmember you may redeem Travelocity Points for the following Account statement credits when they purchase travel, services, and products on Travelocity.com:
Redeem 5,000 Travelocity Points for a $50.00 statement credit, or
Redeem 7,500 Travelocity Points for a $100.00 statement credit, or
Redeem 20,000 Travelocity Points for the cost of an airline ticket or Flight + Hotel Package up to a maximum credit of $400.00.

Clearly states flight + hotel package. So hotels would fall in the 7500 = $100 but could you use 30000 = $400 for a max of 3% return?

Best part is you choose how many points you want to redeem, and get the corresponding statement credit. You can redeem in $400 increments to get the best value.^^

Hope that is true. Not what they told me.

Of note, the website and some of the papers that accompany the card are very confusing, describing the 3/2/1% earnings feature of the other Travelocity card. I emailed CS to make sure my acct was set up properly and got a statement in writing that it was, and I have been receiving the number of points I expected.

Agree that it is very confusing.

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12369836)
When I go to the travelocity website to schedule an expensive flight, it allows me to pull up the redemption scheme in my post above to request the statement credit of my choosing. So yes, a $4000 credit would require 200,000 points.

Hope this is true. But how does this work if you don't have a $4000 credit? Not sure you would know this with what seems to be a max of a 400 dollar credit in your acct at this point. Also did you try with a hotel alone?

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12369836)
I had to stop before hitting "confirm" because I am not ready to make travel plans yet, and once redeemed the points are nonrefundable.
Just wanted to share my experience and observations so far, as this card is very much out of the radar and it's difficult to find information.

I would like to hear from someone who has hit confirm and received Barkley's statement for it is really Barkley who is handling the program.

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12581908)
I don't think you have found that person yet, based on my experience so far. :rolleyes:

I hope you are right. I talked to a bunch of people at Barkley's and Travelocity before being connected to someone who seemed to know the program very well. And what is with the rolled eyes? Just trying to figure this program out as you are.

Originally Posted by budblab (Post 12581908)
I think you may be pleasantly surprised when you get the card and use it.

I hope so. Regardless, this card has great potential.

budblab Oct 11, 2009 8:02 am

The rolled eyes were not meant for you, it was for the many clueless CSR's I have dealt with. I can see that my message may have been unclear about that and sorry if you interpreted it that way. No offense to you intended. I find flyertalk info to be much more reliable than many credit card program CSR's.
Here is a quote from this month's statement, and yes it is from Barclay's bank:
Reward travel on your Travelocity
MasterCard starts at just 5,000 points!
Even better? Redeem points for any
air, car, hotel, or package on
Travelocity with no black-out dates or
seat restrictions.
You are correct that I have not accum. enough of a balance yet to confirm that you can go over the $400 credit. However, the redemption site allows me to pull up the statement credit menu from that 2006 link, and choose how many points I want to redeem.
I have tried to book a hotel room and can request a statement credit for that too.
So while I cannot confirm 100% that this is going to work as I anticipate it will, because I have not actually hit "confirm" and seen it done, from everything I have seen, it appears to be as I've described. If anyone else has more to add, I too am all ears.

UA Fan Oct 11, 2009 1:05 pm

is the 2 points per dollar for all purchases?

budblab Oct 11, 2009 2:55 pm

is the 2 points per dollar for all purchases?
yes, except those made on Travelocity.com, which earn 4 pts/$

profxfiles Oct 21, 2009 7:53 am

Be careful

Just a word of advice--make SURE you apply for the right card. I did a phone app and the CSR put me in the "lower tier" program (no annual fee, but the 3/2/1 rewards scheme) and I have been trying for two weeks to get moved into the rewards program I originally asked for. This better be worth it....

jgstecker Oct 23, 2009 7:49 am

A few notes

I've had this card for a little over a month now. There's a few interesting details I've discovered:

Points for purchases are immediately available for use after the purchase posts. You don't have to wait for a statement to close.

I have over 25k points right now, so I did some test bookings. When booking a $500 hotel-only trip, I was given the option of redeeming up to $450 in points, including 20k for $400 and 25k for $450. The $400 "Free Flight" tag line is just a tag line. It seems to simply be 20k = $400 in travelocity credit. I did not complete the reservation, but I'm certain that if I had both the 20k and 25k reward options would have been available to me.

I also had my account placed on hold for a week at one point because I made payments on two consecutive days. They didn't like that for some reason. My credit limit is only 8k, so I need to make semi-monthly payments to get the most out of it.

Oh, and the CSRs are horrible. I've yet to be able to get them to forward me to anyone outside of the main CSR call center.

g50 Oct 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks budblab and jdstecker. I am going ahead and applying. Will transfer my Airtran line of credit over as I did with my Usair card. This could be better than any other card.

profxfiles Oct 24, 2009 5:28 am

Originally Posted by jgstecker (Post 12695911)
I've had this card for a little over a month now. There's a few interesting details I've discovered:

Oh, and the CSRs are horrible. I've yet to be able to get them to forward me to anyone outside of the main CSR call center.

I heartily agree. My solution was to stop calling the number on the card-try calling 1-866-408-4064. It is the application number, but when you call, just ask to be transferred to customer service, and you will get the US customer service center, rather than the dreadful overseas one.

jeelele Oct 24, 2009 11:55 am

Like others, I have to admit that this is a very tempting offer. Only if Barclays not be rejecting our applications in the past. I no longer feel comfortable risking a hard pull when I am not confident that the application will be approved.

Too bad as they could get really good business out of me and I too would have gained excellent returns from them. Very unfortunate!

UA Fan Oct 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jeelele (Post 12702164)
Like others, I have to admit that this is a very tempting offer. Only if Barclays not be rejecting our applications in the past. I no longer feel comfortable risking a hard pull when I am not confident that the application will be approved.

Too bad as they could get really good business out of me and I too would have gained excellent returns from them. Very unfortunate!

+1

jfrey1 Nov 14, 2009 8:34 am

For those interested I posted this in another forum:

The ambiguity is over. I have about 100k Travelocity points in my account and linked to Travelocity. I can book anything on Travelocity and take it right up to the confirm page. It asks me how many points I want to use. You can mix cash and points at your leisure.

So for example if I book a flight to Hawaii at $820 I have the ability to use 40,000 points and pay the $20 in cash. It works. I could also use only 20k points for a $400 credit and pay the rest. Very flexible.

jgstecker Nov 18, 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by jfrey1 (Post 12817228)
The ambiguity is over... Very flexible.

I have over 50k now and can confirm this. At 4 cents per $1 spent, this card has become my #1 option. That 4 cents goes a long way too, since you can shop around and apply it to the best available rates on airline or hotel on travelocity (and earn rewards for your purchases).

JudyJFLA Nov 23, 2009 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by profxfiles (Post 12682962)
Just a word of advice--make SURE you apply for the right card. I did a phone app and the CSR put me in the "lower tier" program (no annual fee, but the 3/2/1 rewards scheme) and I have been trying for two weeks to get moved into the rewards program I originally asked for. This better be worth it....

I just received my card today and it is the one with the gnome on it. I applied online for the annual fee card and received the one that is shown for the free card. I have a cardmember agreement that shows the annual fee and all other items list the 1 point per dollar. I sent in an email to customer service since I know I applied for the $69 card for the 4% which is the only way for value. The Balance transfer went through, so hopefully I can get the 5000 points plus 5000 opening and not the 2500.
Did you get your issue straightened out? And does everyone have the palm tree card who is charged the annual fee? I think they screwed up!

JudyJFLA

budblab Nov 24, 2009 4:38 am

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA (Post 12871073)
I just received my card today and it is the one with the gnome on it. I applied online for the annual fee card and received the one that is shown for the free card. I have a cardmember agreement that shows the annual fee and all other items list the 1 point per dollar. I sent in an email to customer service since I know I applied for the $69 card for the 4% which is the only way for value. The Balance transfer went through, so hopefully I can get the 5000 points plus 5000 opening and not the 2500.
Did you get your issue straightened out? And does everyone have the palm tree card who is charged the annual fee? I think they screwed up!

JudyJFLA

When I applied for the $69 card I was given a choice of the two card designs. The paperwork that came with my card was very confusing as it described the other card, as does the acct web site. However, I emailed cust svc and they replied that my card was set up correctly, and I can verify that I have been receiving the number of points I expected.

profxfiles Nov 24, 2009 5:14 am

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA (Post 12871073)

JudyJFLA

I've always had the palm tree one, even when I had the free card--they let me pick my design.

They did eventually fix everything (it took about a month), but at one point, when they switched my program to the one I originally wanted, they deleted all the Travelocity points I had already accumulated! Eventually they put those back as well, but it has been an experience.

If you were put in the wrong program, the best solution I found is to NEVER call the customer service number on the website or on the card. The overseas CS people are clearly locked into a very narrow script. Call 1-866-408-4064 and asked to be connected to customer care. They will connect you to CSRs based in the US that clearly have more flexibility in terms of what they can do for you.

PS:I can also confirm the amazing flexibility for this card--I just used 45k points to pay for my parents to go on a cruise for their anniversary with no hassles whatsoever. Now I just need to get my credit limit upped so I can stop making bi-weekly payments!