FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

Schutzee Apr 18, 10 6:31 am

Wow, this card didn't last very long. :td: Seemed like it was too good to be true. I have $850. in rewards and don't have any need for rooms or tickets at this time. Any creative ideas to preserve value? To me it's a given that value will go down soon.

paramount Apr 18, 10 7:58 am

Maybe they will just allow the current users to migrate points to the new AmEx...

thinking blissfully here...

beachmiles Apr 18, 10 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee (Post 13794273)
Wow, this card didn't last very long. :td: Seemed like it was too good to be true. I have $850. in rewards and don't have any need for rooms or tickets at this time. Any creative ideas to preserve value? To me it's a given that value will go down soon.

Can you redeem for giftcards?

mia Apr 18, 10 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cabrits (Post 13794066)
...have past AMEX credit card takeovers historically resulted in forcing current cardholders to redeem under a new structure

The new card is still issued by Barclay's. It's merely an Amex-network rather than a Mastercard-network product. I don't think Juniper/Barclay's has been issuing cards in the USA long enough for there to be a meaningful precedent.

mserle Apr 20, 10 2:56 pm

Turning Travelocity Points into Cash

This worked for me:
Book a $400 hotel room with a non-pre paid rate. Hint: Try entering children as additional guests. Usually a Hyatt property will show up. They don't charge your Travelocity credit card at checkout but do redeem the points and a $400 credit shows up on your credit card. Then cancel the room; probably better to wait until your statement closes and to do it via Hyatt's website (you can pull it up via the conformation code travelocity gives you).

skofarrell Apr 20, 10 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by mserle (Post 13810934)
This worked for me:
Book a $400 hotel room with a non-pre paid rate. Hint: Try entering children as additional guests. Usually a Hyatt property will show up. They don't charge your Travelocity credit card at checkout but do redeem the points and a $400 credit shows up on your credit card. Then cancel the room; probably better to wait until your statement closes and to do it via Hyatt's website (you can pull it up via the conformation code travelocity gives you).

And you wonder why 4% programs like the one Travelocity offers get canceled/changed/gutted....:rolleyes:

cabrits Apr 20, 10 5:19 pm

why jeopardize such a good program?

This worked for me:

this is one of the most generous programs out there. why pull a stunt like this, to catch the bad attention of travelocity, only to have them revamp and/or discontinue the program to avoid loopholes like this? i'm quite confident every single TV cardmember will spend $400 in some capacity on some kind of travel at some time.

i agree - please don't engage in practices that may ruin such a great program for everyone else. i hope you will consider just following the rules on this one, and even then by doing so, you'll still be on the receiving end of a great program!

shel Apr 20, 10 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing!!!

This worked for me:

I certainly don't want to sit there waiting my hard-earned points be devalued. It's definitely coming – and may be sooner than you anticipated! I still remember the answer I got from Bank of America when I called to complain about the devaluation of my “power rewards points” by 50%, which is basically “we can cancel or change reward program whatever we like and without advanced notification to you”. I bet similar wording is written in this program too.

Fiat money always devalues!

g50 Apr 23, 10 3:35 am

When I talked to Travelocity a few weeks ago, they said our points are safe regardless of what happens with Barclay. The best I remember, the points have been the same even when the card was issued by Citi. I am betting Barclay and travelocity will not change the program much. For me, now is the time to earn not burn.

it is back up.
mytravelocitycard.com

g50 Apr 23, 10 3:53 am

This worked for me:

This might of worked for you now, but a simple audit by Barkley and you might see a charge back on your acct. And to make things worse, you wouldn't even have stayed at the hotel. You are playing with fire.

nydad Apr 24, 10 8:06 am

Uh oh.

I wish they just keep the program intact.

g50 Apr 25, 10 6:25 am

Don't think it will change much, if any. Both say free travel stating at 5000 points etc.

The NEW Travelocity Rewards American Express® Card

http://www.mytravelocitycard.com/

* Earn points that can be redeemed for
any flight, hotel, car rental or vacation
package on Travelocity.
* No blackout dates or seat restrictions
on reward travel. Ever.
* Free travel starting at just 5,000 points!

Taken from my online page

Reward travel on your Travelocity MasterCard starts at just 5,000 points! Even better? Redeem points for any air, car, hotel, or package on Travelocity with no black-out dates or seat restrictions!

The two biggest concerns I have are 1. Moving my line of credit over and
2.A max spend per year.

BC300 Apr 25, 10 1:58 pm

Issues redeeming points on Travelocity.com?

Is anyone else having any difficulty booking a trip with their earned reward points? I logged into my account on Travelocity.com and am unable to see my current point balance and when I tried to book a flight, there was not an option to pay with points. I hope this is only a temporary issue. :confused:

budblab Apr 25, 10 6:07 pm

BC300--
I had the same issue using Google Chrome. Then I used Internet Explorer and it worked perfectly.

bocastephen Apr 26, 10 8:23 am

How long does it usually take for the sign-up bonus points to post?

I'm also confused about the original offer - was it a 10K signup bonus or 5K signup and 5K balance transfer? Is it too late to do the balance transfer and get the extra 5K signup points after the card is issued?