FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   How good is the Travelocity credit card? [Originally Mastercard, now Amex] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/978593-how-good-travelocity-credit-card-originally-mastercard-now-amex.html)

AUDirt Mar 23, 12 10:39 am

Originally Posted by maulah (Post 18254523)
Question is why are they doing this? If the benefits are too much or they cannot handle it, then they can terminate the program or introduce some "enhancements". Who is stopping them.

I don't understand it either.

As a software engineer by trade, I can see where making the worldwide Travelocity site talk with Barclay's systems would be kind of tricky and prone to errors.

What I don't understand is why they can't just give us, the Travelocity cardholders, a special portal.

If anyone here has used the USBank FlexPerks portal, you know that you log in through the USBank website and, after a couple of clicks, you are presented with a customized version of the Travelocity booking site. It looks a little different but it is obviously Travelocity "under the hood." AMEX appears to use a very similar arrangement (again with Travelocity) on their MR booking site.

I simply don't understand why Barclay's can't do something like this. Heck, at least 50% of the code has probably already been written.

coloradodude Mar 23, 12 1:04 pm

FYI- Just booked 5 nights for $1300 at a hotel with IE browser. Worked fine... 60,000 points came out same day, next day the $1200 amount was credited to my account. I have a negative amount now.

Dollar Transaction amount for $1300 hasn't even posted yet... as it is still under pending.

I plan on using my points mainly for hotels.

paramount Mar 23, 12 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by coloradodude (Post 18258895)
FYI- Just booked 5 nights for $1300 at a hotel with IE browser. Worked fine... 60,000 points came out same day, next day the $1200 amount was credited to my account. I have a negative amount now.

Dollar Transaction amount for $1300 hasn't even posted yet... as it is still under pending.

I plan on using my points mainly for hotels.

This is usually my experience as well.

AUDirt Mar 23, 12 1:29 pm

I think there's something different about the processing of CC transactions instead of hotels or cars or virtually anything else Travelocity sells.

I know that for hotel reservations your card is actually processed by Travelocity. Travelocity provides one of their CC #s to the hotel to be billed by Hampton/Holiday Inn/whoever.

Airlines, though, seem to go by different rules. It's like your CC# gets passed by Travelocity to the airline, which the processes it, and marks the charge as being from Travelocity. At least that's what I perceive to be happening. Recall that many people were having problems with charges being posted as AMERICAN or UNITED and this fouling up their point earnings.

GGE Mar 24, 12 5:23 am

I'm confused by this thread.

I have a Travelocity Amex. It has 9K + points available. I could never figure a way to redeem them via my online account nor via Travelocity until a few weeks ago. At that time I logged into my Travelocity account (independant of the credit card, just my normal travelocity.com profile) for the first time in many months, and I looked at my "saved credit cards" and saw that I never added my travelocity amex to the list. I added it and made it my default card and immediately afterwards, when my profile refreshed, a little thing appeared saying how many points I have.

My understanding is that, now, to redeem them I just have to book something on Travelocity and choose to use points to pay. I haven't tried that yet.

But for people who don't see any way to use them, just add it to your Travelocity profile and make it your default credit card (you might not even have to go that far).

... I bet I missed something. I always miss something!

edit - ohh, I get it now, sorry... this is working fine for people right up to the point where it SAYS it is using your points for the transaction.. but then it charges your card full price and promises to give you a credit sooner or later, and often just ... DOESN"T.

ugh, sorry, that seriously SUCKS! glad I know this now, before even attempting to use them!

AUDirt Mar 24, 12 6:21 am

Originally Posted by GGE (Post 18262580)
I'm confused by this thread.

I have a Travelocity Amex. It has 9K + points available. I could never figure a way to redeem them via my online account nor via Travelocity until a few weeks ago. At that time I logged into my Travelocity account (independant of the credit card, just my normal travelocity.com profile) for the first time in many months, and I looked at my "saved credit cards" and saw that I never added my travelocity amex to the list. I added it and made it my default card and immediately afterwards, when my profile refreshed, a little thing appeared saying how many points I have.

My understanding is that, now, to redeem them I just have to book something on Travelocity and choose to use points to pay. I haven't tried that yet.

But for people who don't see any way to use them, just add it to your Travelocity profile and make it your default credit card (you might not even have to go that far).

... I bet I missed something. I always miss something!

edit - ohh, I get it now, sorry... this is working fine for people right up to the point where it SAYS it is using your points for the transaction.. but then it charges your card full price and promises to give you a credit sooner or later, and often just ... DOESN"T.

ugh, sorry, that seriously SUCKS! glad I know this now, before even attempting to use them!

Using them has only been a problem for people making flight reservations. People have been successfully redeeming them for car rentals and hotel reservations.

Also, the hassle level IMO has been relatively low using the e-mail contact to customer service. Write your message, send it, and check your account from time to time to see if they've credited it yet. I would NOT call them on the phone.

But all of that is besides the point. So far, at least, there have not been a spate of reports from people claiming that they never (ever) got their account credit, though it has taken weeks for some.

BC300 Mar 24, 12 4:23 pm

Agreed

I agree with AUDirt. I e-mailed them requesting a manual credit of 20,000 Travelocity Points for a $400 credit and they eventually did post it.

At LEAST they are honoring requests. I would rather put up with this hassle than having them start devaluating the program via 'enhancements'.

paramount Mar 24, 12 4:54 pm

I wouldn't use the card unless I had the grandfathered edition (2x points on everything) which is what I do have. There are several other better cards if you are using the new system.

yul7075 Mar 24, 12 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 18265497)
I wouldn't use the card unless I had the grandfathered edition (2x points on everything) which is what I do have. There are several other better cards if you are using the new system.

Witch card gives you 10% back on airfare

AUDirt Mar 25, 12 7:00 am

Originally Posted by yul7075 (Post 18266408)

I think you are describing the annual fee version of this card. If I recall correctly, that card gives you 10% back on travelocity.com purchases, 4% back on a select category (ex: restaurants), or 2% on everything else.

Note the emphasis. The card gives 10% only on purchases made through travelocity.com. If you use delta.com to purchase your ticket, you'll earn points at 1pt/$. Buying the same ticket through travelocity is how you earn the 10%. This also applies to booking hotels or vacation packages.

(Food for thought on hotels: hotel purchases made through travelocity will not earn hotel points, and the hotel will likely ignore whatever status you may have with them. On the other hand, a Travelocity point is worth more than a Hilton point or a Marriott point.)

The card paramount was describing is no longer offered, but they left it turned on for those of us who opened it before they rescinded the offer. That card earned 2pts/$ on all purchases, 4pts/$ on travelocity purchases. I earn an astonishing amount of rewards under that system.

paramount Mar 25, 12 7:13 am

Originally Posted by yul7075 (Post 18266408)

No other card but the limitations of the travelocity airfare search are apparent if you book alot of trips. They often do not even include some available segments.

yul7075 Mar 25, 12 10:21 am

Originally Posted by paramount (Post 18269075)
No other card but the limitations of the travelocity airfare search are apparent if you book alot of trips. They often do not even include some available segments.

I agree with you that the travelocity web is quite limited vs other travel sites like Orbitz or Expedia the most annoying part is you could only put up to 4 legs in the multi-city option

will calling in help or they have the same options as their website

Also will you get the 5pts (in your case 4pts) when you call in

AUDirt Mar 25, 12 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by yul7075 (Post 18269879)
I agree with you that the travelocity web is quite limited vs other travel sites like Orbitz or Expedia the most annoying part is you could only put up to 4 legs in the multi-city option

will calling in help or they have the same options as their website

Also will you get the 5pts (in your case 4pts) when you call in

I think the answer is yes, but I don't know for sure. Obviously you have to pay with your Travelocity CC#

maulah Mar 25, 12 9:52 pm

To make a reservation over the phone you pay service charge of $25 for each airline ticket (I think)

czarinalex Mar 27, 12 3:17 pm

I have been trying unsuccessfully for almost a month to get credit for airline tickets where points were not redeemed where they should have been.
I have emailed about 6 or 7 times. I have called at least 2 times.
This is the response I get each time with little variation:
---------------
Thank you for contacting us regarding your Travelocity Rewards American Express Card. We can certainly address the rewards on your account.

We understand your concerns and apologize if you have received anything less than superior service from us. We strive for excellence and appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this feedback. We will ensure that your comments are forwarded to the appropriate department.

Our recrods indicate that a Case was created regarding your rewards. Your Case ID is Case *****. Please allow 7 - 10 days, a maximum of 30 days, for us to make all applicable adjustments on your account. We do understand the frustration of waiting for this issue to be resolved; however, we need to ask for your continued patience while we are working for the resolution.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
It seems like other people have gotten their credit in a week or less.
Any ideas?