Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by MisterBill
Unless you're booking your travel in a way that you could not get the same price using the UR travel portal, you would still get the 50% value kitcker when using them last minute. Now, if you need to purchase thru a different site to get a discounted rate and could not book it from Chase's site, then you have a valid point.
It is definitely harder to use UR points if you don't have time to plan ahead. Yeah you can do the Chase Travel portal, but usually you lost the points with hotel program, and you may or may not get elite benefits. Having said that, I would still rather get the 3 UR points from CSR than the 3.5% cash from BoA Premium Reward. Now the 1.5 UR points from CSU vs the 2.62% cash from Premium Reward is really a toss up for me, and I am edging toward the 2.62%.

BTW, if the Premium Reward was metal, I would have gotten it when it first came out. I know people on this forum kept saying they don't care how the card is made or many even preferred plastic, but that's not the case with my wife and me. Actually my wife refused to use the CSU card on everyday purchase, so she just kept using her CSR on everything.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Now the 1.5 UR points from CSU vs the 2.62% cash from Premium Reward is really a toss up for me, and I am edging toward the 2.62%.

BTW, if the Premium Reward was metal, I would have gotten it when it first came out. I know people on this forum kept saying they don't care how the card is made or many even preferred plastic, but that's not the case with my wife and me. Actually my wife refused to use the CSU card on everyday purchase, so she just kept using her CSR on everything.
Kind of a no-brainer on 2.625% vs 2.25% (1.5%x1.5), at least for me.

As for plastic vs. metal card, to each their own. I personally use Samsung Pay on my phone whenever possible, so no physical card at all. Do you think that the cashiers are more impressed with you because you're using a metal card? I agree that the metal card is nicer, but it seems rather bizarre (to me) to use one that pays you less just because you prefer the feel of the other card.

BTW do you mean CFU rather than CSU? I assume you're talking about the Freedom , not Sapphire.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

When I got the csr card I wanted to use it for Travel and restaurants. I had over 150k UR between CSR and ink card. When I went to book hotel room in Yosemite, no rooms were available through UR portal. Rooms were only available through hotels directly. So I had to book on BofA travel card and use my other points against the charges. I tried to book another hotel through UR and noticed prices were higher than booking directly. Also the hotels in UR site had cancelation penalties vs no penalties booking directly through hotels. Therefore, I switched all my spending on the premium card as soon as it was launched. I still have UR points which I'll just use to transfer to airline partners. I think my points are more have more value that way.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by ralphs
I hold Chase cards and value URs! I use the CSR for travel and dining when possible. But what do I do with the other 80% of my spend that is not eligible for bonuses? I am subject to 5/24 so cannot qualify for the FU offer. And I have long exhausted my AmEx BBP $50k cap.

So in my case, URs are definitely not more valuable in dollar to dollar earnings than what I'm getting from BofA cash rewards, and I don't see a way to change this. I am all ears for alternatives.
Get US Bank Altitude Reserve and use it with Samsung Pay. It will earn you 4.5% on almost everything for effective annual fee of $75. Some other perks too, like lounge access and primary car rental insurance.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by ralphs
Recently, a Chase FU offer came out with a promotional 2x UR for the first year only. I'm not sure about the current availability of the offer. I believe the offer is only available to new applications (i.e. product changes), which means that anybody over 5/24 will have a tough time qualifying for the offer.
It's 3x, not 2x. New applications only.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Unless you're booking your travel in a way that you could not get the same price using the UR travel portal, you would still get the 50% value kitcker when using them last minute. Now, if you need to purchase thru a different site to get a discounted rate and could not book it from Chase's site, then you have a valid point.
Very good point. The return on the CSR can still be higher for travel and dining category spend, but it does have to be balanced against each individual’s spend volume, since the CSR has a net $150 annual fee (assuming that one values Priority Pass but also has it from another card, as many of us here do) vs a net $(5) fee on the BofA Premium card.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:27 pm

Kind of a no-brainer on 2.625% vs 2.25% (1.5%x1.5), at least for me.

As for plastic vs. metal card, to each their own. I personally use Samsung Pay on my phone whenever possible, so no physical card at all. Do you think that the cashiers are more impressed with you because you're using a metal card? I agree that the metal card is nicer, but it seems rather bizarre (to me) to use one that pays you less just because you prefer the feel of the other card.

BTW do you mean CFU rather than CSU? I assume you're talking about the Freedom , not Sapphire.
Yeah 2.625% vs 2.25% is a no brainer, but for UR I usually use it toward business class tickets for 10+ hours flight. In that case 1.5 miles > 2.625%. And it was my wife who like the metal card and yes she said people said they like the metal card. Happy wife happy life. And yes it was supposed to be CFU.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by yugi
Get US Bank Altitude Reserve and use it with Samsung Pay. It will earn you 4.5% on almost everything for effective annual fee of $75. Some other perks too, like lounge access and primary car rental insurance.
I wish my vendors would take Samsung Pay/Apple Pay etc! Great idea...

Originally Posted by yugi
It's 3x, not 2x. New applications only.
You're right, it's 3X UR which is 2x the normal amount of UR (1.5X UR)
Old May 7, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
How long does it take for the Global Entry credit to post? I bought mine a few days ago and I still have not been credited for it.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by zorbachs
How long does it take for the Global Entry credit to post? I bought mine a few days ago and I still have not been credited for it.
I think they state within 30 days or next statement period. As long as you didn't use a Shopsafe number, you'll get it.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by dinkoh
I think they state within 30 days or next statement period. As long as you didn't use a Shopsafe number, you'll get it.
How does shopsafe work? Sounds interesting...
Old May 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by hi55us
How does shopsafe work? Sounds interesting...
If you log in to the BoA site and click on the card, look in the right column for a link to ShopSafe. It lets you generate credit card numbers with spending caps that can only be used at one merchant.

I didn't use Shopsafe for my Global Entry reimbursement, but I use it all the time for BankAmeriDeals and those still track, so I'm curious why the other poster said that you wouldn't get your GE credit if you used it.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:53 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
I'm curious why the other poster said that you wouldn't get your GE credit if you used it.
It was previously reported here that using a Shopsafe number for Global Entry did not result in the credit automatically posting to the account.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I just paid global entry with my normal number. Hopefully I get credited when my statement closes.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Any recent datapoints on those approved for this card and how many recent accounts they had opened?

I was denied for this card about six months ago and the rep told me it was because I had too many recent accounts (I had three in the previous six months and 13 in the previous 24). I now have two in the past six (soon to be one) and ten in the last 24.

If others have been denied with similar numbers, I may just forego this card altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.