Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Print Wikipost

BofA Premium Rewards card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I have absolutely no idea of what that means.
Means how many new credit cards have you opened/hard pulls in last 6, 12 & 24 months
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:53 pm

I applied a week ago, not having seen that BOA is cracking down some. I'm 5/6, 12/12, and 20/24. FICO always floats around 800. I was approved instantly. Make of that what you will.

FWIW, this is my first BOA card, and I've had a checking and savings account with them for close to 30 years. The balance in them is fairly minimal since I switched to another bank as primary a few years ago, but they still exist.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ShakuniMama
Means how many new credit cards have you opened/hard pulls in last 6, 12 & 24 months
Thanks, I had never seen that before.

The answer is simple: None. To be more accurate, none in the US. I have gotten two in Israel, one in the past 24 months and one in the past 12 months, but there are no hard pulls in the US for foreign credit cards. My current FICO score as shown on the BoA website is 820 and, as always, I am told that it could be higher but "Your score was impacted because your credit report shows no recent non-mortgage installment loans or insufficient recent information about your loans".

I will never get a much higher FICO score as I never borrow money -- not in the US or anywhere else. In fact, I don't even carry a balance on any credit card for longer than 24 hours after the previous month closes. Interestingly, although not at all important to me, I just looked at my account and saw that my credit lines on my two existing BoA cards were reduced yesterday (after I was approved for the new one). My Visa Platinum Plus went from $8000 down to $4500 and my Travel Rewards card from $12,000 to $7,500. While that is a reduction totaling $8000 it is more than offset by the $17,000 credit line that I was given for the Premium Rewards Card.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
I applied a week ago, not having seen that BOA is cracking down some. I'm 5/6, 12/12, and 20/24. FICO always floats around 800. I was approved instantly. Make of that what you will.

FWIW, this is my first BOA card, and I've had a checking and savings account with them for close to 30 years. The balance in them is fairly minimal since I switched to another bank as primary a few years ago, but they still exist.
Wow, that's great to see, thanks.
Thanks, I had never seen that before.

The answer is simple: None. To be more accurate, none in the US. I have gotten two in Israel, one in the past 24 months and one in the past 12 months, but there are no hard pulls in the US for foreign credit cards. My current FICO score as shown on the BoA website is 820 and, as always, I am told that it could be higher but "Your score was impacted because your credit report shows no recent non-mortgage installment loans or insufficient recent information about your loans".
Same for me, no mortgage has me limited to 824 or so. Interesting that they lowered the other lines without first informing you.

Are you in Tel Aviv? I've always wanted to visit but have had the impression that it's a lot more expensive than somewhere like SE Asia or even western EU countries.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:18 am

Interestingly, although not at all important to me, I just looked at my account and saw that my credit lines on my two existing BoA cards were reduced yesterday (after I was approved for the new one). My Visa Platinum Plus went from $8000 down to $4500 and my Travel Rewards card from $12,000 to $7,500. While that is a reduction totaling $8000 it is more than offset by the $17,000 credit line that I was given for the Premium Rewards Card.
Originally Posted by Superorb
Interesting that they lowered the other lines without first informing you.
Amex does it the same way. Once you reach your maximum CL they're willing to extend you across all cards, they'll automatically reduce your limits on other cards when you apply for a new one, to ensure you get a giant line on the new one. They send a letter in the mail (it usually arrives within a few days of the card) informing you, and asking you to call this number if you want to undo the changes. I'm personally not a fan, but it has saved me from having to recon at least once, so I guess it's ok.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

Are you in Tel Aviv? I've always wanted to visit but have had the impression that it's a lot more expensive than somewhere like SE Asia or even western EU countries.
No, I live in the Galilee (northern Israel) -- and very close to the Lebanese border. Israel is far more expensive than SE Asia but about on the same level as western EU countries.

I have three more questions about the Premium Rewards Card:

1. I have my son and daughter listed as authorized users and BoA is sending them cards with their names on it but all three cards will have the same number. When I see the debits online, will I be able to know who made each purchase?

2. As they have the same number on the cards, if one of us loses his/her card will all three cards be shut down?

3. Is there any way to get PIN numbers for the cards?

Last edited by Dovster; Jun 10, 2018 at 4:48 am
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I have the Travel Rewards Card but signed up for the Premium Rewards Card today. It always bugged me that the Travel Rewards Card points could not be redeemed at full value except for travel purchases. The Premium Rewards points can. This was not a major problem in the past but I have not traveled in the last two years. Moreover, the Premium Rewards Card gives two points for each dollar spent at a restaurant anywhere in the world and I generally eat out 3 to 4 times per week.

I also got cards (linked to my account) for my two adult children, meaning that I am 100% certain that I will reach the $3000 spend in the first three months and get the $500 bonus. After that, they will probably only use it when flying out of the country. The one thing that was a PITA was getting BoA to mail the cards directly to me in Israel. It is no secret to them that my US mailing address, which they require, belongs to my sister and that I live in Israel. They send all my mail to my Israeli address (including renewal cards) but insisted that the first time I got a particular card it had to go to the US address. I told them that my sister is 77 and I am not about to have her run to the Post Office to send the cards to me -- and that if they can't mail them to Israel I don't want the Premium Rewards.

I had to speak to four different people (including two supervisors from different departments) to get approval for this, but in the end I got it. (The actual approval of the card itself was instantaneous.)
I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you, but I am currently living in another country at the moment. In the past, BoA have always mailed replacement cards to my foreign address. I've never had any issues with that. I have never signed up for a premium BoA card before. I'm really interested in the Premium Rewards Card. So I guess my first question is, did you signed up for the BoA Rewards Premium card on BoA's website? Are there other sign up bonuses if I sign up for the BoA Premium Rewards card from another website? I'm not planning to do a product switch or cancel my existing crappy basic BoA Visa card as it's my oldest credit card and I have about 12 years of history on it. I guess I won't mind if they somehow feel the need to reduce the credit limit on it, but will they at least take the credit limit from that card and put it on my future BoA Premium Rewards card?

Since you're living in Israel, did you had to submit any form for income verification or any other documentations for verification? I don't have any US income at the moment and all of my incomes are from foreign sources. I don't know if BoA checks or not.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got another question for you guys. Is Global Entry and TSA Precheck only for US citizens or US permanent residents? If I can't take advantage of this benefit for the BoA Premium Rewards card, any suggestions on what I can do to take advantage of it? It would sucks if I have to waste it.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:31 pm

According to this, you don't necessarily have to be a citizen or permanent resident. Citizens of a handful of other countries are also eligible: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ry/eligibility

If you can't use it for yourself, you can use it for someone else by entering your credit card info for payment and have them pay you (presumably at a discount). Some level of trust is required for this (mostly, they have to trust you not to do a chargeback), but it's definitely something people do with their friends, relatives and colleagues.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:09 am

For BOA Premium recon should I call the Preferred Rewards number or a recon number? If recon, what's the best number lately? EX is frozen so I know it will be an instant decline and I will have to call.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For BOA Premium recon should I call the Preferred Rewards number or a recon number? If recon, what's the best number lately? EX is frozen so I know it will be an instant decline and I will have to call.
What do you mean by EX?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:47 pm

It means the Experian credit report is frozen and can't be pulled by BOA.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
It means the Experian credit report is frozen and can't be pulled by BOA.
Oh. Sorry for the dumb questions as I'm new to this. So BoA pulls from Experian? Unless I'm mistaken doesn't BoA use the credit score from TU? At least that's what I remember seeing in my account?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Oh. Sorry for the dumb questions as I'm new to this. So BoA pulls from Experian? Unless I'm mistaken doesn't BoA use the credit score from TU? At least that's what I remember seeing in my account?
They use TU to display your score and they pull Experian report to evaluate your credit worthiness. Totally different things.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:24 pm

Applied for Premium card with EX frozen and instant decline. Called and they agreed to pulling TU. Approved for $17k CL. 1/6, 5/7, 6/12. Preferred Gold. Then today CK is showing 2 TU pulls for a single call and a single app. Crossing my fingers they get merged in a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.