Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Are certain cards failing there or is it more random? I can see AmEx having issues and all other cards working okay based on prior experience in this thread.
I didn't inquire as to which cards were failing. It's possible Tender Greens sees a higher incidence of contactless transactions due to being cashless plus this location was next to the Caltrain station. You might see a higher incidence of tech types more likely to try out things like contactless payments. The gentleman after me paid with a metal AmEx Platinum, but that's a single data point.

Originally Posted by wco81
the contactless symbol appears on screen but no dice with Apple Pay.
This was identical to the behavior at the Meet Fresh in Cupertino yesterday. The contactless symbol with the text "tap or swipe card" was there, but the reader didn't work and there was a post-it note sign saying "no mobile payments".
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Majuki
I didn't inquire as to which cards were failing. It's possible Tender Greens sees a higher incidence of contactless transactions due to being cashless plus this location was next to the Caltrain station. You might see a higher incidence of tech types more likely to try out things like contactless payments. The gentleman after me paid with a metal AmEx Platinum, but that's a single data point.

This was identical to the behavior at the Meet Fresh in Cupertino yesterday. The contactless symbol with the text "tap or swipe card" was there, but the reader didn't work and there was a post-it note sign saying "no mobile payments".
I encountered the same thing at a Polo Ralph Lauren in Anaheim. The MST on Samsung Pay wouldn't even work (just kept giving a swipe error) and the contactless was unresponsive.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:10 pm

What kind of dumb POS displays the contactless symbol when the goes into prompting for the credit card if contactless is disabled?
The kind that gets UI updates pushed to it before functional updates. At least the contactless hardware is in the terminal somewhere, unlike when one of my local Vons stores had swipe/insert prompts on their old MX800-series terminals that didn’t have EMV slots.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Just got back from Sunnyvale Costco.

the contactless symbol appears on screen but no dice with Apple Pay.

A month ago, the same thing at Mountain View Costco, though the cashier said it has worked but maybe not at that particular terminal.

What kind of dumb POS displays the contactless symbol when the goes into prompting for the credit card if contactless is disabled?
It could be simply “wallpaper” that is being displayed, irrespective of what is actually enabled. These fully integrated terminals are simply a mess.

Also, I’ve seen high rates of failures on the NFC readers on those Verifone MX900 terminals in the US where it should be enabled, but had simply stopped working. I would have asked the purchase to be moved to a different till to pay.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I had a comical experience yesterday using Chase Pay for the first time. It was at a Starbucks (taking advantage of that 300 stars promo) and the person at the register kept telling me to tap my phone even though I told her it was Chase Pay. I guess she didn't get the memo because she just looked at me confused and asked "Is that like Apple Pay"? I showed her the QR code and said that it needed to be scanned, which I did before she started telling me to tap the module. I guess the system was slow to process because the moment she said "I don't think it works" the receipt printed. Is Chase Pay really as slow as (slower than?) a chip transaction or was this an anomaly?
I hate Chase Pay but I wanted to take advantage of the 300 stars so I went to a participating Starbucks and it froze their system. It has made me not want to EVER use Chase Pay

Last edited by PhX1Guy; Mar 19, 2018 at 7:18 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by PhX1Guy
I went to a participating Starbucks and it froze their system.
Did you indicate you were using Chase Pay from the onset? The problem is that it is the same system that scans your Starbucks card, so if one of two things happens, there are problems: 1) You don't announce you're using Chase Pay, and the barista assumes you're paying with your Starbucks card or 2) the barista doesn't know about Chase Pay and assumes you're paying with your Starbucks card. My guess is practically nobody has used Chase Pay outside of this promo.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No I believe the contactless symbol appears on the display when the terminal is ready to take the credit card.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:22 pm

Did you indicate you were using Chase Pay from the onset? The problem is that it is the same system that scans your Starbucks card, so if one of two things happens, there are problems: 1) You don't announce you're using Chase Pay, and the barista assumes you're paying with your Starbucks card or 2) the barista doesn't know about Chase Pay and assumes you're paying with your Starbucks card. My guess is practically nobody has used Chase Pay outside of this promo.
I avoid this by always stating that I'm paying by credit.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:27 am

So I visited Staples recently and Visa Debit did not work it said an alternate form of payment is required so I used MC contactless and it worked as EMV contactless and CDCVM was used as it said verified by pin on the receipt. But its odd that Visa failed to work. I also noticed it said "Please Keep Card inserted" while it was processing, lol. It is also a lot slower than Walgreens is.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:01 am

I was talking to my parents last night. They just upgraded to the iPhone X from the 5, so this is their first Apple Pay capable phone and they've been playing with it. At Safeway when they tried to use it the cashier had them move the transaction to the customer service counter to pay. From what I gathered, and this is third-hand so something might have been misunderstood, it sounds like the store has to enable NFC on each checkout each night and if they forget, it doesn't work at that checkout the next day. Not sure if that's really the case or not, as it sounds bizarre, but it would explain the sporadic success we've seen at Safeway/Vons stores and goes along with how people here describe Safeway having terrible IT.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I was talking to my parents last night. They just upgraded to the iPhone X from the 5, so this is their first Apple Pay capable phone and they've been playing with it. At Safeway when they tried to use it the cashier had them move the transaction to the customer service counter to pay. From what I gathered, and this is third-hand so something might have been misunderstood, it sounds like the store has to enable NFC on each checkout each night and if they forget, it doesn't work at that checkout the next day. Not sure if that's really the case or not, as it sounds bizarre, but it would explain the sporadic success we've seen at Safeway/Vons stores and goes along with how people here describe Safeway having terrible IT.
Hopefully they’ll fix Safeway soon as it only works in some lanes for me at my Safeway’s. If the dots don’t show up it won’t work. It’s really stupid, and I don’t understand why Safeway NFC is so unreliable. There’s no way they have to enable it every night.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Supposedly, my Safeway has fixed this, but for quite a while only one or two terminals would accept NFC. A while back when I asked the manager of the store about their switching on the EMV slots instead of swiping, he rolled his eyes and made a very nasty comment about Safeway's IT.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I don't think they need to turn on NFC every night. I will ask around and see if I can find out what's going on here.

What I can tell you is that the IT help desk is outsourced, but the IT technicians (presumably hardware support) is all in-house and local. I'm not sure who handles the software side of things, especially the pin pads.

Unfortunately, I haven't actually met anyone from Safeway IT (All of the people I'm working with are from the Albertsons side)

Disclosure: I am a temporary IT technician for Albertsons-Safeway.

Additional Disclosure: IT is on vacation next week, so it may be a couple weeks before I can get an answer. Also, my job as a technician ends shortly after that, so if I don't get an answer by then, I'll have to figure out who to ask later.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by diburning
I don't think they need to turn on NFC every night. I will ask around and see if I can find out what's going on here.

What I can tell you is that the IT help desk is outsourced, but the IT technicians (presumably hardware support) is all in-house and local. I'm not sure who handles the software side of things, especially the pin pads.

Unfortunately, I haven't actually met anyone from Safeway IT (All of the people I'm working with are from the Albertsons side)

Disclosure: I am a temporary IT technician for Albertsons-Safeway.

Additional Disclosure: IT is on vacation next week, so it may be a couple weeks before I can get an answer. Also, my job as a technician ends shortly after that, so if I don't get an answer by then, I'll have to figure out who to ask later.
It definitely has to do with Toshiba's horrible pos software as I've run into the same thing at another grocery store(Family Fare) and NFC is just as bugged as it is at Safeway/Albertsons. They really should be upgrading to NCR not away from it..
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:17 am

The cashier and her manager seemed clueless.The manager initially told me to TAP my phone on the vx820 then I repeated it was Chase Pay and she looked at her screen then said "OH!" like she saw a chase pay button or something. But it still froze the POS and they told me to just take the drink free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.