Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Certain NCR implementations are so terrible it took a whole 20s before the dots showed up. American NFC is really bad due to these fully integrated systems!
I have not seen that issue before on NCR before and for example Shop N' Save uses Supervalu's NCR ACS system and contactless works very good but no dots show up at all at most locations and the only time they did show up was at that EMV contactless test location. Most NCR places I've visited do not seem to show any nfc dots at all.

Although the nfc dots seem to show up on a few NCR Radiant gas pos at Circle K using contactless MSD and Kum & Go using contactless EMV so in that case msd vs emv doesn't have a bearing on it. I wonder if Speedway is waiting on contactless EMV certs for their NCR Radiant system as well but instead of putting a block on the nfc they just disabled it completely.

I can also confirm that Smashburger accepts contactless with regular NCR UI with "Insert or Swipe Card".
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Contactless apparently doesn't work at Bass Pro Shops ("use chip reader" error when I attempted). According to the cashier, it stopped working pretty soon after the holidays and they don't know why. Maybe they'll fix it eventually.

I also saw the old Google Wallet logo at Sketchers. Still no chip support, however.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by scibot
I have not seen that issue before on NCR before and for example Shop N' Save uses Supervalu's NCR ACS system and contactless works very good but no dots show up at all at most locations and the only time they did show up was at that EMV contactless test location. Most NCR places I've visited do not seem to show any nfc dots at all.

Although the nfc dots seem to show up on a few NCR Radiant gas pos at Circle K using contactless MSD and Kum & Go using contactless EMV so in that case msd vs emv doesn't have a bearing on it. I wonder if Speedway is waiting on contactless EMV certs for their NCR Radiant system as well but instead of putting a block on the nfc they just disabled it completely.

I can also confirm that Smashburger accepts contactless with regular NCR UI with "Insert or Swipe Card".
Save Mart uses that same NCR ACS system and the dots show up on the screen there the entire time after you "cancel" their loyalty card prompt (I don't use their loyalty card since it is not tied to pricing and they are a terrible operator with the highest prices in the market where I only do minimal/convenience based shopping). Save Mart processes Contactless very well and I have always had success using it there both at regular checkout (since they tore self checkout out of a couple locations I visit since they do so little business it is rare they have more than one register open) and at self checkout (at their busier locations which still offer it).

Raleys also uses a modified version of that NCR ACS system and their implemention is a little more strange. The dots show up on the screen very very small in the top right corner, but they are just part of the overall screen graphic and do not do anything when you tap. I have had a few errors when trying to use it there, but it always works on the second try.

My favorite for odd implementations is a store called Scolaris, they use an NCR system too and they have Contactless. Dots are on the screen and it says tap/swipe/insert with the Visa/MC NFC graphics. One location has self checkout and 2 of the self checkouts process Chip and 2 of them are still swipe only (???). At least all process Contactless and it always works okay. They only have one location with self checkout now (used to have 3 but closed the other 2) and the weirdest part was that particular location had no EMV at all for about 6 months after the rest of the chain got it, presumably due to their having issues figuring out how to get it to work on the self checkouts.

I shopped Safeway last night and for some reason, no dots on the screen. I figured the NFC would fail. Well, it actually worked despite there being no dots on the pinpad. Then I went to another Safeway and there were no dots on the screen there either. It didn't work at all there. Oh well.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Not all Save Marts are on the same system. The ones they acquired from Supervalu probably still use the same Supervalu NCR ACS system.

Raley's is an independent retailer who contracts with Supervalu for IT support.

The Supervalu NCR ACS system used to show the dots and it used to show all the logos, but those have since been removed in subsequent EMV updates. The current incarnation of the ACS system has a very nasty flaw. If the customer is an adult who can't follow simple instructions, and pulls their card out of the pin pad too early before the EMV transaction finishes processing, the pending charge results in a hold on the customer's account (which is often Debit, and thus is tied to a checking account) and worse than that, after the customer runs their card a second time, more often than not, both charges post to the customer's account although on the company's end, the company was only paid once. The customers get upset, and even moreso when we tell them that they have to file a dispute with their bank for an unauthorized charge (with our full cooperation). Some banks actually get confused as to why we cooperate with the customer and make matters worse by adding more hassle for the customer. *cough*Capital One 360*cough*

Over 90% of our daily customer complaints are because of this flaw (partially due to the software, partially due to the fact that there is a frighteningly large proportion of adults out there who can't follow simple instruction).
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Contactless apparently doesn't work at Bass Pro Shops ("use chip reader" error when I attempted). According to the cashier, it stopped working pretty soon after the holidays and they don't know why. Maybe they'll fix it eventually.

I also saw the old Google Wallet logo at Sketchers. Still no chip support, however.
Yeah typical Toshiba pos system behavior after chip is enabled so that is one reason they really suck. Plus contactless fails at many places because its so buggy at Safeway or Family Fare.
Speaking of Google Wallet scroll down payment types on this page: https://ok7-eleven.com/about/payment-types/Google Wallet is still shown haha.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Save Mart uses that same NCR ACS system and the dots show up on the screen there the entire time after you "cancel" their loyalty card prompt (I don't use their loyalty card since it is not tied to pricing and they are a terrible operator with the highest prices in the market where I only do minimal/convenience based shopping). Save Mart processes Contactless very well and I have always had success using it there both at regular checkout (since they tore self checkout out of a couple locations I visit since they do so little business it is rare they have more than one register open) and at self checkout (at their busier locations which still offer it).

Raleys also uses a modified version of that NCR ACS system and their implemention is a little more strange. The dots show up on the screen very very small in the top right corner, but they are just part of the overall screen graphic and do not do anything when you tap. I have had a few errors when trying to use it there, but it always works on the second try.

My favorite for odd implementations is a store called Scolaris, they use an NCR system too and they have Contactless. Dots are on the screen and it says tap/swipe/insert with the Visa/MC NFC graphics. One location has self checkout and 2 of the self checkouts process Chip and 2 of them are still swipe only (???). At least all process Contactless and it always works okay. They only have one location with self checkout now (used to have 3 but closed the other 2) and the weirdest part was that particular location had no EMV at all for about 6 months after the rest of the chain got it, presumably due to their having issues figuring out how to get it to work on the self checkouts.
Haha, its very interesting how all of these places use the NCR ACS system in so many different ways. I thought you have worked with the NCR ACS system and they are removing it but I wonder have you(or was it diburning?) heard of EMV contactless coming to it or not since they are ripping it out for a Toshiba a verified pile of junk at Safeway/Albertsons/Family Fare.

Here is a lot of NCR places: https://imgur.com/sQBNhl4 that message is very common and no nfc dots at all. Just like diburning has said no dots on the newer updates. Although diburning I've seen Shop N' Save testing EMV contactless on the NCR SuperValu ACS system but self checkouts were not working and the dots were once again showing. Here: https://imgur.com/BddTgAh is the receipts from the regular system and the EMV contactless test locations.

Last edited by scibot; Mar 11, 2018 at 12:11 am
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:05 am

I haven't heard anything, but they're most likely not going to roll out anything major until the whole company has converted to the Toshiba SurePOS 4690 system just in case it breaks something. This will take until October or so (two more divisions to go)

Disclosure: I am a temporary hardware technician for the conversion process.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Yeah typical Toshiba pos system behavior after chip is enabled so that is one reason they really suck. Plus contactless fails at many places because its so buggy at Safeway or Family Fare.
Sounds like Bass Pro Shops might not have gotten EMV until recently, then? I almost never go there so I don't know for sure.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by diburning
Not all Save Marts are on the same system. The ones they acquired from Supervalu probably still use the same Supervalu NCR ACS system.

The Supervalu NCR ACS system used to show the dots and it used to show all the logos, but those have since been removed in subsequent EMV updates. The current incarnation of the ACS system has a very nasty flaw. If the customer is an adult who can't follow simple instructions, and pulls their card out of the pin pad too early before the EMV transaction finishes processing, the pending charge results in a hold on the customer's account (which is often Debit, and thus is tied to a checking account) and worse than that, after the customer runs their card a second time, more often than not, both charges post to the customer's account although on the company's end, the company was only paid once. The customers get upset, and even moreso when we tell them that they have to file a dispute with their bank for an unauthorized charge (with our full cooperation). Some banks actually get confused as to why we cooperate with the customer and make matters worse by adding more hassle for the customer. *cough*Capital One 360*cough*

Over 90% of our daily customer complaints are because of this flaw (partially due to the software, partially due to the fact that there is a frighteningly large proportion of adults out there who can't follow simple instruction).
There is a big difference between posted charges and pending authorizations. Are you saying there are two pending authorizations (one of which will simply time out after several days) or that there are two completed charges after final posting? I find it hard to believe that it would be the latter. If it is the former there is nothing to dispute.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
At my local Safeway, some terminals have functioning NFC, and some don't. Staff consider this par for the course with Safeway and anything IT-related.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by diburning

Interesting, I did not know Raleys contracted with Supervalu. Their system is a little different from the others. I have not seen a system identical to theirs anywhere else but it is definitely the NCR ACS in some form.

All of the Save Marts use the same NCR ACS System, now. The stores they bought from Albertsons were, at that time under Albertsons, on an IBM System (mostly with NCR Dynakey hardware but a few did have the traditional keyboards identical to the set up Kroger still uses to this day) and Save Mart at the Dynakey stores kept the old hardware but moved them to NCR Software immediately upon store conversion. Oddly they did replace the printers during the conversion process but kept the rest of the old hardware. Since then, Save Mart has slowly been replacing hardware but it has been a hodgepodge approach. For instance, some stores have black keyboards (replaced) and some still have white/beige ones (those are the old Albertsons equipments and by this point I don't think there is much of it left). One store in my area got all new screens which are very wide and look great, another store has 3 different models of screens, one of which is so small and blurry my theory is they went to the Staples down the parking lot to buy that particular screen.

I expect Save Mart will be EMV Contactless soon based on the speed at which they have rolled out other updates (Chip came pretty quick, Quick Chip also came pretty quick, etc.). I wonder if Supervalu handles their IT too?

Regarding the issue you describe with double transactions if the card is removed early, I have encountered similar behavior at Wal Mart and Kroger when I have removed my card too early. Two transactions post however, then, a refund shows up. I do believe Quick Chip prevents this issue since if the card is removed too early, it will fail to process.

It will be interesting to see how things go here when gas pumps enable EMV. The pumps in Canada "lock" the card in when you do EMV and you can't pull it out while it is reading. Maybe the pinpads needed the same design.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be interesting to see how things go here when gas pumps enable EMV. The pumps in Canada "lock" the card in when you do EMV and you can't pull it out while it is reading. Maybe the pinpads needed the same design.
Software just needs to handle it better. If the slot locked, someone would likely end up breaking it by pulling the card out too hard before it was allowed.

As for gas pumps, I don't think all of the currently installed EMV capable readers in the US support that. At least not obviously, anyway.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Software just needs to handle it better. If the slot locked, someone would likely end up breaking it by pulling the card out too hard before it was allowed.

As for gas pumps, I don't think all of the currently installed EMV capable readers in the US support that. At least not obviously, anyway.
Lol only in the US would merchants be concerned at someone yanking their card out and breaking the terminal. I'm pretty sure if you pull hard enough they just release.

Some terminals in Europe also use the card locking .
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Lol only in the US would merchants be concerned at someone yanking their card out and breaking the terminal. I'm pretty sure if you pull hard enough they just release.

Some terminals in Europe also use the card locking .
Honestly, I'm not sure if they would be concerned about that. It's probably just as likely, if not more so, that they just went for the least expensive terminals possible.

Anyway, tapping my Diners Club MC failed at JCPenney today. Supposedly Apple Pay etc. work though so...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Chase ATM slots are locked during a transaction. Before a yanker would "break" the terminal, it would dawn on them it was supposed to be that way. You can't pull out a Chase card, using regular force anyway. ​​​​​
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:18 pm

Interesting, I did not know Raleys contracted with Supervalu. Their system is a little different from the others. I have not seen a system identical to theirs anywhere else but it is definitely the NCR ACS in some form.
Some of the independent retailers that Supervalu services are Cub Foods franchises, Coborn's, Raley's, and Neiman's Family Markets. I got this list from calling the Supervalu IT Service Desk where they have a phone tree option that lists all of those retailers plus "All other independent retailers" so the list is probably incomplete.

Originally Posted by cjw2001
There is a big difference between posted charges and pending authorizations. Are you saying there are two pending authorizations (one of which will simply time out after several days) or that there are two completed charges after final posting? I find it hard to believe that it would be the latter. If it is the former there is nothing to dispute.
The latter. Both charges would post, but on the company's (Albertsons) end it will only show one transaction and one cancelled one. It's possible that it's a quirk of Retalix.

Regarding the issue you describe with double transactions if the card is removed early, I have encountered similar behavior at Wal Mart and Kroger when I have removed my card too early. Two transactions post however, then, a refund shows up. I do believe Quick Chip prevents this issue since if the card is removed too early, it will fail to process.
If it does automatically refund, then it's not doing it in a timely manner because some of these complaints drag out for weeks between the customer, the bank, and the company's terrible outsourced front line customer service call center. The majority of customers that use a debit card instead of a credit card are those where every penny counts, and they can't afford to sit and wait for a refund. Those who use credit cards and are double charged due to pulling their card out too soon will contact customer service just once to do their due diligence before contacting their credit card company to fix.

I'll admit that I did do it once myself, when I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, on a pin pad where contactless wasn't functioning, so I was charged twice, but Amex could tell it was a double charge and the second pending charge never posted.

Last edited by diburning; Mar 11, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.