Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I feel like contactless acceptance has gone backwards, at least in my local ZIP code. A fair number of places have been removed.

On the upside, my local Applebee's is on there now.
Remember just because a place falls off the contactless locator does not mean that it won't work. An example of this is Shell stations as many fall off or aren't on there yet they still work just fine if you tap.

Here are a some notable additions around me. It looks like a local Toshiba grocery store chain may have upgraded to chip/contactless but I'm sure the latter will end up being like Family Fare or Safeway so very borked. Olive Garden is on the ctls locator as expected and so is Krispy Kreme. Some closer BK's(Non-NCR) are as well but has anyone ever seen an NCR Aloha BK with VX820's because all NCR locations I've seen still do not have pinpads.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
Remember just because a place falls off the contactless locator does not mean that it won't work. An example of this is Shell stations as many fall off or aren't on there yet they still work just fine if you tap.

Here are a some notable additions around me. It looks like a local Toshiba grocery store chain may have upgraded to chip/contactless but I'm sure the latter will end up being like Family Fare or Safeway so very borked. Olive Garden is on the ctls locator as expected and so is Krispy Kreme. Some closer BK's(Non-NCR) are as well but has anyone ever seen an NCR Aloha BK with VX820's because all NCR locations I've seen still do not have pinpads.
I’ve noticed all Sicom BKs have Pin Pads but NCR still doesn’t. It maybe the NCRs will just go away and be replaced by the newer Sicom setups
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Remind me to never move to San Diego. Lol. Jk.

I feel it seems it definitely depends the area we are in. Here in Phoenix emv acceptance seems sky high. And no cash only places I know of. And Apple Pay is making it so I can pretty much depend on it 80% of my day (95% phone acceptance as a whole thanks to Walmart/Target/CVS/LevelUp Pay)
Card acceptance is pretty good in DC despite my wishes for more contactless acceptance. New York, however, was a nightmare in comparison. Many places I went to enforced a $10 minimum, and contactless acceptance was a joke.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
For those of you who are tracking the growth of contactless, would you consider it to be worthwhile to have contactless available, but up pops the paper signature slip? I ran across this at an Indian buffet recently, where the owner was all smiles that I was going to use the "easier" contactless. It may have been easier for him, but not for me in this case particularly. All about the tip line ... phone tapped on his FD 40 (looked as though it was in conjunction with a Clover setup?)
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I feel it seems it definitely depends the area we are in. Here in Phoenix emv acceptance seems sky high. And no cash only places I know of. And Apple Pay is making it so I can pretty much depend on it 80% of my day (95% phone acceptance as a whole thanks to Walmart/Target/CVS/LevelUp Pay)
The Starbucks and 7-Eleven apps are about the only retailer apps I bother using, and I really only go into the former for reloads as the card itself is in Wallet. I don't go to Walmart or Target often enough to justify using their apps (despite the latter only being a couple of blocks from me).

In general though, I imagine I may have a better experience if my spending habits were just a bit different. My current ones tend to be worse case (e.g. lots of restaurants).

Originally Posted by scibot

Of course, but if they're relying on use of contactless to determine whether a business stays on there, that doesn't bode well for its overall use.

Also, Olive Garden doesn't show up here but I definitely know it's enabled.

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Card acceptance is pretty good in DC despite my wishes for more contactless acceptance. New York, however, was a nightmare in comparison. Many places I went to enforced a $10 minimum, and contactless acceptance was a joke.
Speaking of NYC and card acceptance: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/30/b...cashless-.html

I also don't remember having issues the last time I was there but I think that might have been just as the rules around minimums and surcharges were changing.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
For those of you who are tracking the growth of contactless, would you consider it to be worthwhile to have contactless available, but up pops the paper signature slip? I ran across this at an Indian buffet recently, where the owner was all smiles that I was going to use the "easier" contactless. It may have been easier for him, but not for me in this case particularly. All about the tip line ... phone tapped on his FD 40 (looked as though it was in conjunction with a Clover setup?)
Eh, it's borderline for me in that scenario. Faster than chip without signature, sure, but just barely.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Skymiles
The Starbucks and 7-Eleven apps are about the only retailer apps I bother using, and I really only go into the former for reloads as the card itself is in Wallet. I don't go to Walmart or Target often enough to justify using their apps (despite the latter only being a couple of blocks from me).

In general though, I imagine I may have a better experience if my spending habits were just a bit different. My current ones tend to be worse case (e.g. lots of restaurants).

Of course, but if they're relying on use of contactless to determine whether a business stays on there, that doesn't bode well for its overall use.

Also, Olive Garden doesn't show up here but I definitely know it's enabled.

Speaking of NYC and card acceptance: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/30/b...cashless-.html

I also don't remember having issues the last time I was there but I think that might have been just as the rules around minimums and surcharges were changing.

Eh, it's borderline for me in that scenario. Faster than chip without signature, sure, but just barely.
I got around New York fine without cash or very little of it. I know that New York is one of the worst offenders out there when it came to going cashless. SF offered a much better experience for this “futuristic method” of going cashless.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got around New York fine without cash or very little of it. I know that New York is one of the worst offenders out there when it came to going cashless. SF offered a much better experience for this “futuristic method” of going cashless.
I actually wonder how many people traveling for business just agree to the surcharges since work's paying. The extra work to pay cash and try to justify it on expense reports might not be worth it to save a few dollars.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott

Mrs. Majuki and I were there last weekend, and for almost everything I used cards. It also might be a self selection based on where we tend to go on this thread. I perceived contactless acceptance as being lower than in the Bay Area, but that's possibly because Bay Area businesses are more likely to have something like a Clover style setup.

I did notice the cashless sign at the Dos Toros at Hudson Eats in Brookfield Place.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Mrs. Majuki and I were there last weekend, and for almost everything I used cards. It also might be a self selection based on where we tend to go on this thread. I perceived contactless acceptance as being lower than in the Bay Area, but that's possibly because Bay Area businesses are more likely to have something like a Clover style setup.

I did notice the cashless sign at the Dos Toros at Hudson Eats in Brookfield Place.
Yep. I suspect I'd have a better time with contactless if a) I ate out less and b) spent more at larger stores. (Not so coincidentally, I'd have a better time with my PIN preferring cards too.) Unfortunately, it needs to work well in the worst cases too or it can't completely replace swiping/inserting physical cards.

Speaking of Clover, I tapped with Apple Pay this morning and got the "no cardholder verification" bit on the receipt again. The next customer appeared to insert and sign afterward (though I'm not 100% sure on that). I'm thinking they just fixed contactless and didn't bother with eliminating signature completely just yet.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:31 pm

Speaking of Clover, I tapped with Apple Pay this morning and got the "no cardholder verification" bit on the receipt again.
I used a Clover Mini with Apple Pay (Visa) yesterday. No signature required and receipt shows “device verified”. Purchase was a bit over $30.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:25 pm

I last went in summer 2016, so things may have changed a bit since then. Most of my spending was at small/independent merchants, anyway, which put me in a worse position for card usage than if I had instead gone to chain merchants.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I used a Clover Mini with Apple Pay (Visa) yesterday. No signature required and receipt shows “device verified”. Purchase was a bit over $30.
Clover/FD really should have enforced more consistency in their software from the start, but if getting rid of signature ends up becoming common this might not matter.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and it looks like JCPenney's charge from the other day posted twice, too, despite the contactless payment attempt supposedly declining. This should be fun to try to resolve tomorrow.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
...and it looks like JCPenney's charge from the other day posted twice, too, despite the contactless payment attempt supposedly declining. This should be fun to try to resolve tomorrow.
Shouldn't really be that hard. Banks reverse duplicate charges, especially Capital One.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Shouldn't really be that hard. Banks reverse duplicate charges, especially Capital One.
Not filing a chargeback is preferable for multiple reasons. Otherwise, yes, it'd be no big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.