Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Now to see how long it takes Visa US to adopt those rules. Mid-2020s announcement and late 2020s-early 2030s implementation maybe?
... or now because we should be moving ahead of the rest of the world for a change instead of continuously being behind.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Olly-
Surprised you haven't cancelled it yet, unless you plan on moving back to the UK soon I guess?

I cancelled mine when the annual fee was due last year.
Mine was the private banking version (grandfathered card), so there wasn’t an annual fee. It’s the only one I have left in the UK and it has a ridiculously high credit limit so I’ve kept it for emergencies.

Certainly no plans to move back though, not in a million years
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Mine was the private banking version (grandfathered card), so there wasn’t an annual fee. It’s the only one I have left in the UK and it has a ridiculously high credit limit so I’ve kept it for emergencies.

Certainly no plans to move back though, not in a million years
Now come on, doesn't Brexit tempt you?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by D582
Try removing and re-adding the card. That should re-provision it.
Yeah I plan on doing that, once a purchase that I made using it posts.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by IslesFan
Yeah I plan on doing that, once a purchase that I made using it posts.
You can re-provision the card without affect pending purchases, I've done so a few times. Returns can even be pushed through using a deactivated DAN.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
So KFC has EMV contactless now. One Yum brand down, two to go?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
So KFC has EMV contactless now. One Yum brand down, two to go?
I’m assuming regular EMV is now enabled there too.

Taco smell now needs to standardize. Some here still swipe monitor side.

Pizza Butt all have Vx805s.

At least Kentucky Fried Pidgeons have iPP350s
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I’m assuming regular EMV is now enabled there too.

Taco smell now needs to standardize. Some here still swipe monitor side.

Pizza Butt all have Vx805s.

At least Kentucky Fried Pidgeons have iPP350s
Outside of certain exceptions (vending machines?) it's impossible for EMV contactless to be enabled without the slot being enabled too. Though I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the currently installed vending machine readers never get it.

They also fixed the annoying issue where the terminal declines contactless until the cashier pushes the "credit" button by simply not having the terminal enabled at all until they do. Unfortunately their POSes are still crazy slow even with contactless; that could be one situation where Quick Chip may be helpful.

Still nothing for Burger King yet, unfortunately. (BK is in the same shopping center as the KFC near my workplace so it was an easy verification.)
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Went to a Middle Eastern restaurant this afternoon where one orders at the counter first, food delivered when ready. Paid via (Square?) contactless, with a sequence I'd not seen before: add tip, then tap*, then a screen saying "Comparing signature . . ." I suppose that they were supposed to be consulting the crummy signature associated with my Samsung Pay account? Although I did rather scrawl, it was accepted.

* I started to tap right away, but the clerk stopped me ("Not yet").
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Went to a Middle Eastern restaurant this afternoon where one orders at the counter first, food delivered when ready. Paid via (Square?) contactless, with a sequence I'd not seen before: add tip, then tap*, then a screen saying "Comparing signature . . ." I suppose that they were supposed to be consulting the crummy signature associated with my Samsung Pay account? Although I did rather scrawl, it was accepted.

* I started to tap right away, but the clerk stopped me ("Not yet").
I really hope Square didn't disable CDCVM. That would be really unfortunate if they did.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I say square, because it was a square like experience; however, I tapped an attached POS unit, not a Square rectangular one. In thinking about it now, I was likely confusing it with Clover.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:32 pm

Yesterday at Chick-Fil-A the lady behind me in line had a contactless card as I could see the contactless card logo on the back and I believe it was a Capital One card. I'm pretty sure she just swiped it though.

Also the MC contactless locator should be updated soon.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I say square, because it was a square like experience; however, I tapped an attached POS unit, not a Square rectangular one. In thinking about it now, I was likely confusing it with Clover.
Now that I'm thinking about it more, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Square NFC reader is...square shaped.

Anyway, there are other tablet based devices as well but I think the comparing signature text is unique to Clover.

Originally Posted by scibot
Yesterday at Chick-Fil-A the lady behind me in line had a contactless card as I could see the contactless card logo on the back and I believe it was a Capital One card. I'm pretty sure she just swiped it though.

Also the MC contactless locator should be updated soon.
Probably this coming Tuesday or so if I'm estimating it right. I'm thinking all the Safeway and Gap/Old Navy/etc. locations start appearing, as well as possibly IHOP if they've begun to roll their setup out more widely.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally ran into a USA Gasoline with EMV enabled. Unfortunately I only saw "insert card or swipe card" on the bottom of a blue screen (Verifone software?) I'm fairly sure that I remember other locations having contactless so maybe that particular location isn't running the same software or doesn't explicitly mention that contactless works.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:00 pm

I don't remember if we verified or not, but I was at a corporate-owned McDonald's today and used EMV contactless inside for a $7 purchase, and it used CDCVM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.