Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Majuki
I imagine this is why the taxi driver didn't want me to use contactless? (The taxi driver said that contactless feature was broken.)
Yup. This is why many sit-down restaurants have had it disabled as well, although that’s quickly changing with the newer software.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
FWIW, I used Apple Pay in taxis in Sydney and Melbourne.

Bill was $50-60 for ride from MEL to CBD.

Of course tipping isn't as prevalent in Oz.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by D582
Yup. This is why many sit-down restaurants have had it disabled as well, although that’s quickly changing with the newer software.
I did notice this when I tried to pay at a diner the other day with a Vx520. The cashier was eager to try it too but alas, “Insert or Swipe” and no contactless even though the lights were there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Big signs at Aldi by the registers that say, "WE NOW ACCEPT CONTACTLESS PAYMENT." Of course what a shocker, people are still happily swiping away their cards.

Our society will continue to live in the 80's while the rest of the world continues to distance themselves past us with better technology.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Big signs at Aldi by the registers that say, "WE NOW ACCEPT CONTACTLESS PAYMENT." Of course what a shocker, people are still happily swiping away their cards.

Our society will continue to live in the 80's while the rest of the world continues to distance themselves past us with better technology.
If people don't want to use it, they don't. And considering that you still have to sign/enter PIN with contactless* at a lot of places (even EMV contactless enabled ones!) and likely still need to bring a wallet for IDs and such, the value-add might just not be there for a lot of people.

* Contactless basically means ____ Pay in the US and will for a while to come. Maybe if Chase or BofA brings it back to the cards it'll be a different story. Or even if AmEx has it by default instead of as an opt-in feature. (I'm not sure Capital One + the Citi Costco card is enough to serve as critical mass for that.)

EDIT: the above is probably fairly pessimistic. I will concede that it's very possible that we'll all be okay with device-based payments eventually, but it might take the younger generation using them for a while first.

Last edited by tmiw; Oct 2, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:24 pm

I want to leave this tweet here as it sounds like Kroger will be supporting contactless in the near future after some updates.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
I want to leave this tweet here as it sounds like Kroger will be supporting contactless in the near future after some updates.
https://twitter.com/HarrisTeeter/sta...62769215934467
Are they going to reevaluate after performing whatever updates they're going to do? I think that could be interpreted that way as well as a definite yes but still a somewhat good sign in any case.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those curious about Panda Express everything is enabled...including EMV contactless? See attached.

I haven't seen any other locations around here with MX915s yet, however.
Attached Images  
scibot likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
If people don't want to use it, they don't. And considering that you still have to sign/enter PIN with contactless* at a lot of places (even EMV contactless enabled ones!) and likely still need to bring a wallet for IDs and such, the value-add might just not be there for a lot of people.

* Contactless basically means ____ Pay in the US and will for a while to come. Maybe if Chase or BofA brings it back to the cards it'll be a different story. Or even if AmEx has it by default instead of as an opt-in feature. (I'm not sure Capital One + the Citi Costco card is enough to serve as critical mass for that.)

EDIT: the above is probably fairly pessimistic. I will concede that it's very possible that we'll all be okay with device-based payments eventually, but it might take the younger generation using them for a while first.
Right now I am speaking purely from a ____ Pay perspective, as that is what's advertised on the POS system and on the signs. Personally I don't want to see my debit card skimmed and have to wait even one day for my money because of a merchant's error.

My Empower FC Union credit card recently had a fraud charge on it, and while MasterCard has the technology to stop it before it's approved, the credit union still took a week and a half to get a new card for me... I wouldn't want that to happen with one of my debit cards.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
For those curious about Panda Express everything is enabled...including EMV contactless? See attached.

I haven't seen any other locations around here with MX915s yet, however.
Pretty awesome, well that makes most of the fast food places in my city that do/will support contactless. Raising Canes, Arby's and Wendy's do not seem to have plans to support anything besides them taking your card and swiping it. With Taco John's, Burger King, and now Panda Express with plans to do so soon. ^

Interesting that Panda Express does not list the AID and instead just says the card type used. Well at least the leaves no doubt it is enabled on purpose and uses EMV contactless. To make 100% sure you can actually tell on your iPhone if contactless is EMV or not so that would be a good idea to check that out.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
To make 100% sure you can actually tell on your iPhone if contactless is EMV or not so that would be a good idea to check that out.
How do I do that?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
How do I do that?
You get the amount sent to your iPhone before the transaction authorizes or something like that but I use Android Pay which doesn't have such a thing so I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting that Panda Express does not list the AID and instead just says the card type used. Well at least the leaves no doubt it is enabled on purpose and uses EMV contactless. To make 100% sure you can actually tell on your iPhone if contactless is EMV or not so that would be a good idea to check that out.
I'll probably try again when a closer Panda Express gets the MX915s; downtown parking is kind of a mess. I also wonder if more stuff will appear if inserting a physical card, which might indicate that it's actually using MSD contactless.

BTW, I forgot to mention but they're using Verifone Point just like McDonald's and others.

You get the amount sent to your iPhone before the transaction authorizes or something like that but I use Android Pay which doesn't have such a thing so I'm not 100% sure on that.
There is a transaction log available when you tap on the card in the Android Pay app, which makes me wonder if maybe the functionality does exist. Might be worth trying out while it's in airplane mode (unless you already have).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I have Chase send alerts to my phone for certain transactions.

International transactions regardless of amount are a flag.

I used Android Pay all over in Canada and what I noticed was this: If I ran a transaction at a place that used EMV Contactless, the "transaction flag" from Chase said "Account ending in xxxx (card number on physical card)." If I ran a transaction at a place that used MSD Contactless, the "transaction flag" from Chase said "Account ending in yyyy (virtual card number used for Android Pay).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Went back to Chevron tonight. This Chevron has Wincor Nixdorf (sp) cash register and MX 915.

Tried Android Pay Visa. Selected Credit. Pinpad prompted for card security code. Tried code on back of card. Did not work. Declined.

Pulled out physical American Express that taps. Tapped card. Selected credit. No prompt for card security code or anything else, just immediately approved.

Android Pay is broken at Chevrons that use these specific registers. For some reason it actually seems to still work okay at Chevrons that use the Verifone registers... does not prompt for anything other than "amount correct?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.