Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I was an iPP 320 at a Wendy's drive through this evening. The cashier still swiped on the side of the touchscreen, but I didn't remember the other terminal by itself. Perhaps it's for gift cards, or is Wendy's close to rolling out EMV?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Majuki
I was an iPP 320 at a Wendy's drive through this evening. The cashier still swiped on the side of the touchscreen, but I didn't remember the other terminal by itself. Perhaps it's for gift cards, or is Wendy's close to rolling out EMV?
Interesting. It may be happening soon!! They may not have enabled the terminal just yet.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by D582
I agree that that the card networks lost an opportunity here. The liability shift should have been full contact and contactless EMV enablement. (Not just MSD)
We can't rely on American millennials to care about anything mature like drive the mobile payments marketplace in the US. (I am one too, trust me).

I talk to people my age all the time... They have no idea how to protect their bank info, use Apple Pay, start a retirement fund, balance/use a transaction register, use online bill pay through the bank's website, save for a house to gain equity, investing in stocks, and cutting down the costs of student loans by paying more than the minimum payment every month, building a relationship, etc. Instead they're too busy going out and getting wasted at 26 while working as a cashier at a drug store.

Contactless would have to be forced on everyone. I like the idea of shutting off the chip and swipe readers for anything under $50, or perhaps a lower amount like $25. I'm sure the readers can be programmed to do that. The incentive is the problem... Perhaps lower the interchange fees to that of a PIN transaction on contactless as an incentive. This would require merchants to place signage up near the register (because people are too lazy to read the screen apparently) and the network playing as a middle man to work with the banks on issuing physical contactless cards, but since Apple Pay is already a solution most people can use in the short term, the forced change wouldn't be that big of an issue, which is only an issue for those who don't have a smartphone or for those who still live in the 1980's...But to be honest, that's not everyone else's problem. As a society, we should be moving past the people who want to live like that, not deeming it as acceptable behavior so everyone feels like they get a trophy.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Oct 17, 2017 at 1:37 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
I agree that that the card networks lost an opportunity here. The liability shift should have been full contact and contactless EMV enablement. (Not just MSD)
I suspect the liability shift itself would had to have been delayed a couple of years to allow that to happen. At least allowing MSD, although not ideal, would have gotten people used to contactless quickly.

It's possible that it's for EBT and not for regular cards. The McDonald's near my house for example has an old-looking Verifone standalone terminal for just that purpose.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
It's possible that it's for EBT and not for regular cards. The McDonald's near my house for example has an old-looking Verifone standalone terminal for just that purpose.
Why is a company like Wendy's taking EBT cards... Those cards are taxpayer funded to provide basic food and other basic services to poor people. Not so someone can buy overpriced fast food at a restaurant.

What is wrong with this country.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Why is a company like Wendy's taking EBT cards... Those cards are taxpayer funded to provide basic food and other basic services to poor people. Not so someone can buy overpriced fast food at a restaurant.

What is wrong with this country.
http://www.ebtproject.ca.gov/clienti...freshrmp.shtml

YMMV if you live in another state.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:40 am

Well that's why our tax dollars are highest in the nation, TMIW. (I live in NY State).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Wendy's doesn't seem to be on the list. I haven't been inside the restaurant in awhile, so I will check it out to see if the have visible terminals. Now, it's possible it's an old setup. I remember Wendy's used to key in the amount manually; it wasn't an integrated payment setup like it is now. I also don't know if they'd enable contactless considering they have their own QR based payment system.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:42 am

More IHOP too. Unfortunately Village Inn (if it's the one I'm seeing online) isn't in California so I'll leave that to others to confirm.

Also, I forget if I mentioned this already but it looks like In-N-Out fell off the MC map. That probably doesn't bode well for its enablement any time soon.
I saw one Commander Shell location removed but see two newly added Passport Shell's now on the ctls locator so I think the Commander one just fell off but all still have it turned on.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:03 am

Wendy's doesn't seem to be on the list. I haven't been inside the restaurant in awhile, so I will check it out to see if the have visible terminals. Now, it's possible it's an old setup. I remember Wendy's used to key in the amount manually; it wasn't an integrated payment setup like it is now. I also don't know if they'd enable contactless considering they have their own QR based payment system.
QR based systems that nobody uses. Many people actually have a desire to have Walmart/Target, and even Starbucks apps on their phones. Some people consider having a Wendy’s or a McDonalds app on their phone more of an embarrassment- and these apps provide nothing useful.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:48 am

More IHOP too. Unfortunately Village Inn (if it's the one I'm seeing online) isn't in California so I'll leave that to others to confirm.

Also, I forget if I mentioned this already but it looks like In-N-Out fell off the MC map. That probably doesn't bode well for its enablement any time soon.
I will go to Village Inn soon to see if they got pinpads back after switching from pinpads that you swiped your card to them taking your card and swiping on the side MSD reader.
Just because it fell off does not always mean anything as the Shell I mentioned on my previous post is no longer listed but they updated the main register in addition to the 2nd one which was the only one to have it previously. Plus the reports of them rolling it out to Passport locations as well there is no doubt that Shell is rolling it out now. ^
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked as well and there seems to be a Wendy's relatively close by on there too. It might be something that a franchisee has to opt into as opposed to something that corporate's pushing.

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
QR based systems that nobody uses. Many people actually have a desire to have Walmart/Target, and even Starbucks apps on their phones. Some people consider having a Wendy’s or a McDonalds app on their phone more of an embarrassment- and these apps provide nothing useful.
Actually, the McDonald's app offers free McNuggets every time the Padres win a game so it's useful for that at least. I didn't think there was actually a payment thing in there though, just coupons.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, another potential reason why people don't use mobile wallets: https://consumerist.com/2017/10/17/w...r-samsung-pay/
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I think it's far more likely that merchants would discourage use because they erroneously believe that without a pin or signature they would be on the hook for fraud.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I think it's far more likely that merchants would discourage use because they erroneously believe that without a pin or signature they would be on the hook for fraud.
Some smaller merchants thought that Apple would charge them more money! Seriously more education is needed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.