Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I’m ok with contactless everywhere and having a “restaurant card”
I'm not even expecting restaurants to ever get pay at the table in any large numbers. Just switching to a pay at the front setup like what IHOP and Denny's have would be good enough, especially if the hardware stays easily accessible to customers. Or maybe partner up with OpenTable and let people use Apple/Android Pay in the app but I don't know how many restaurants/customers would be willing to do that.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Majuki
Are all Safeway terminals now enabled? I tried yesterday in San Francisco at a self checkout, and I couldn't get an Android Pay transaction to process.
Safeway self checkout in Jackson, CA took Contactless great this weekend.

Clunky NCR Self Checkout that operated very, very slowly, but it did take the Contactless.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
Yeah, I suspect the usage is still low, but it would be nice to hear something concrete (other than "increased by 300%" or whatever other number Apple says with regard to AP adoption, of course).

My biggest concern is that the vast majority of merchants will actually enable it, only to end up with most of them regretting their decision. I can even see some of them going with hardware without contactless support for their next replacement cycle--if such hardware still exists by then, that is.

On the other hand, I had a theory a while ago that said that the vast majority of most people's spend is grocery stores and gas stations. Now that Safeway (which has more reach than Sprouts/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods) has contactless, usage might start increasing more quickly. If that's the case, even if certain categories (such as restaurants) never adopt it, that might be okay.

BTW I went by a Vons gas station a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have NFC readers at the pumps. I don't know if there are any plans to ever install them, unfortunately.
I don't see why a merchant would regret enabling Contactless. If the banks would issue more Contactless cards, there would be a ton more use. Merchants want quick checkout and an easy experience for the customer, and this is a tool they can use to help promote that.

In Northern California, now that Safeway is enabled, pretty much every grocery store has Contactless. There are a few hold outs but not really many. WinCo (Debit only...), the 10 or so stores Kroger has left in NorCal after they mostly left the market...
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I don't see why a merchant would regret enabling Contactless. If the banks would issue more Contactless cards, there would be a ton more use. Merchants want quick checkout and an easy experience for the customer, and this is a tool they can use to help promote that.

In Northern California, now that Safeway is enabled, pretty much every grocery store has Contactless. There are a few hold outs but not really many. WinCo (Debit only...), the 10 or so stores Kroger has left in NorCal after they mostly left the market...
Sure, but Quick Chip is likely a less expensive/lower effort solution for that compared to going through the EMV contactless certification and/or development process again. If there are still non-contactless capable devices available in 5-10 years and if some of these places have to recertify, continued low use of contactless by that time might make removing support an option.

However, we're still pretty far out from that becoming an option, so we very well could end up seeing all the major issuers providing contactless cards by default or the mobile wallets getting far more use.

Anyway, I'd consider Walmart a significant holdout as well, even if they don't really do full SuperCenters or Neighborhood Markets in some major cities.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
It's pathetic that the cashier has never heard of Apple Pay before... Especially with the growing popularity of it.
Are there any recent numbers? Most of the stuff I've read has adoption as "lower than expected" but I think that was a while ago.
Here is an interesting observation I have made. There is a Blue Bottle Coffee shop in San Francisco located that I frequent when in the area. They use Square, with the the Chip/Contactless reader properly positioned. They are located on the ground floor of the Twitter HQ building, and directly across the street is the building with both the Uber and (ironically) the Square HQ. The coffee shop is frequented by employees from all three companies, with most in their 20s and 30s - so a perfect target demographic for mobile payment use.

And yet, despite seeing them clutching their iPhones or Android phones in their hands, I see very few actually use Apple Pay/Android Pay/Samsung Pay - instead opting to insert their chip cards.

Apple did say earlier this year that 75% of Apple Pay transactions occur outside the US, and honestly, and unfortunately, I believe it.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My impression from clerks here in Seattle, the other techie-zone besides the Bay Area, is that they encounter tapping often enough not to be surprised, but not regularly.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by D582
Here is an interesting observation I have made. There is a Blue Bottle Coffee shop in San Francisco located that I frequent when in the area. They use Square, with the the Chip/Contactless reader properly positioned. They are located on the ground floor of the Twitter HQ building, and directly across the street is the building with both the Uber and (ironically) the Square HQ. The coffee shop is frequented by employees from all three companies, with most in their 20s and 30s - so a perfect target demographic for mobile payment use.

And yet, despite seeing them clutching their iPhones or Android phones in their hands, I see very few actually use Apple Pay/Android Pay/Samsung Pay - instead opting to insert their chip cards.

Apple did say earlier this year that 75% of Apple Pay transactions occur outside the US, and honestly, and unfortunately, I believe it.
I'm not even sure what the problem is in this country.

Do you think it's an unwillingness for Americans to change their ways? Laziness? A society where many people have a below average IQ; thus, don't understand contactless exits? Perhaps Apple's laziness with not promoting Apple Pay enough is the problem... I don't remember the last time I've witnessed an Apple Pay commercial on television. Perhaps merchant's should be required to shut off chip and swipe for anything under $50 to promote contactless use.

I'm one to believe the merchants are the biggest issue here. I went to a different Subway than I usually frequent and the terminal is facing towards the cashier. Well how do you expect someone to use contactless without resistance if you have the reader illogically placed like a moron?

I'm sorry but this just angers me more by the day... It's not a hard concept. Get certified for chip... Get certified for EMV contactless... Face the reader towards the consumer, it's not a difficult concept, yet it seems like it. NOT 1) Have 20 year old card reader with neither technology available. 2) Not have contactless enabled. 3) Not have chip reader working and active. 4) Have reader facing towards the cashier so you have to hand them your card.

It's pathetic that after the Equifax data breaches and Congressional audits/subpoenas that our representatives aren't writing a thorough law to protect our data, which starts with regulating the credit bureaus more and regulating the way our cards can be used.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My impression from clerks here in Seattle, the other techie-zone besides the Bay Area, is that they encounter tapping often enough not to be surprised, but not regularly.
Phoenix is hardly tech central and people here don’t get surprised when tapping with a phone. Tap a watch or card and watch them awe in amazement and eyes pop out! Lol!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm too greedy for Samsung Pay credits to tap my AMEX card!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Then again, there's at least sixteen countries that have Apple Pay available; the US having 25% usage on its own is still pretty good. Of course, we have no idea how many transactions that corresponds to, nor do I think Apple will be forthcoming with such data until the numbers are large enough (IMO).

Do you think it's an unwillingness for Americans to change their ways? Laziness? A society where many people have a below average IQ; thus, don't understand contactless exits? Perhaps Apple's laziness with not promoting Apple Pay enough is the problem... I don't remember the last time I've witnessed an Apple Pay commercial on television. Perhaps merchant's should be required to shut off chip and swipe for anything under $50 to promote contactless use.
Well, 50% of people are going to be below the median IQ regardless of the country. I don't think that's the issue.

Really, though, contactless is extremely unreliable in the US relative to magstripe and EMV. Sure, it'll probably work the vast majority of the time for US issued cards where it's enabled (which in itself is a whole separate problem), but most people are going to stop using it after a couple of failures. I mean, they have to bring a wallet everywhere anyway, so why bother continuing to try it if only half of places support it at best?

There's also not much of a motivation to use it. The banks are responsible for all fraud, for example, not us--so security isn't going to be a huge motivator. Even EMV's "slowness" might not be that huge of a deal for most, despite the loud minority of people complaining online. For the rest, Quick Chip and/or other terminal optimizations are probably enough.

Anyway, I suspect that you'd either have to have a real-world example of Apple Pay helping with security (for instance, an announcement from Whole Foods or another recently breached merchant saying that Apple Pay was not affected) or eliminate some of the convenience features in our current system (mandating signature/PIN for every non-NFC transaction and actually verifying the former) to improve customer motivation.

BTW, contactless enablement should have been included as part of the liability shift, even if that comes at the cost of pushing back Visa's EMV contactless requirements a couple of years. Then at least you could definitely say that all chip-enabled terminals have NFC enabled, unlike the current situation.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I'm one to believe the merchants are the biggest issue here.
Same culprit as the dollar coin issue. The government can mint. Vending machines can give change. People can try to use. But if the merchants only collect and never give them out ASSUMING people don't like it, every single one ends up in the bank.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Same culprit as the dollar coin issue. The government can mint. Vending machines can give change. People can try to use. But if the merchants only collect and never give them out ASSUMING people don't like it, every single one ends up in the bank.
I've gotten dollar coins back as change before (and not from a vending machine either), but it's definitely rare.

Also, I'm not sure dollar coins are a good example since cash usage is dropping. I suspect the whole issue with those will be mostly moot soon for that reason.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:23 am

Probably this coming Tuesday or so if I'm estimating it right. I'm thinking all the Safeway and Gap/Old Navy/etc. locations start appearing, as well as possibly IHOP if they've begun to roll their setup out more widely.
You were 100% correct its 1am on Tuesday and it has updated and I see many Village Inn on there I wonder if they are actually accepting it now. More GAP as well so you were correct about that one too.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
You were 100% correct its 1am on Tuesday and it has updated and I see many Village Inn on there I wonder if they are actually accepting it now. More GAP as well so you were correct about that one too.
More IHOP too. Unfortunately Village Inn (if it's the one I'm seeing online) isn't in California so I'll leave that to others to confirm.

Also, I forget if I mentioned this already but it looks like In-N-Out fell off the MC map. That probably doesn't bode well for its enablement any time soon.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
BTW, contactless enablement should have been included as part of the liability shift, even if that comes at the cost of pushing back Visa's EMV contactless requirements a couple of years. Then at least you could definitely say that all chip-enabled terminals have NFC enabled, unlike the current situation.
I agree that that the card networks lost an opportunity here. The liability shift should have been full contact and contactless EMV enablement. (Not just MSD)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.