Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
That's the one I used to get my app that went from we'll let you know to denial less than 10 minutes later to approved after talking to the rep for a bit.
Don't want to get this thread off topic, but the term "backdoor number" being used in this thread made me think it was some sort of special, secret number. I think, in fact, it's pretty much the standard Barclays reconsideration number, as noted in the wiki of this thread: Barclays credit card reconsideration
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
My wife applied for an Aviator Red about a month ago and was denied due to "enough credit with Barclays already". She just closed a Jetblue card with 10K credit line, is it worthwhile to call Barclays retention and see if they will approve the app now that some room has been made? Or is there a time limit on getting reconsideration after denial?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
My wife applied for an Aviator Red about a month ago and was denied due to "enough credit with Barclays already". She just closed a Jetblue card with 10K credit line, is it worthwhile to call Barclays retention and see if they will approve the app now that some room has been made? Or is there a time limit on getting reconsideration after denial?
Usually 30 days , without another hard pull. Ask them at recon. You prolly could have opened it by moving credit from Jet Blue 10K CL when you applied originally if you suggested it .
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
It's worth a shot calling the backdoor number or a credit analyst at barclaycard. My app was denied not even 10 minutes after I submitted the app. Called backdoor number and after a bit of back and forth, the rep submitted my application again and I was approved.
Thanks for the suggestion. I took your advice and after explaining why I wanted the card again, the friendly rep submitted it, pulled my credit, and I was approved. It seems the system has been updated to auto-deny for duplicate cards, but that can sometimes be overridden.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
It seems the system has been updated to auto-deny for duplicate cards, but that can sometimes be overridden.
Yes, it seems so, and not just active cards - but also if you cancelled the same card recently. What we need to figure out is what constitutes as "recent". My DP shows 35 days is in that range. For Arrival+, it seems 6 months may be the threshold (but I'm hardly sure).
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Usually 30 days , without another hard pull. Ask them at recon. You prolly could have opened it by moving credit from Jet Blue 10K CL when you applied originally if you suggested it .
Thanks for the info. I was always told that with Barclays it's better to just wait it out than call recon, but now that strategy has caused both myself and my wife to get denied for the Aviator, so it may not be the best path forward anymore.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by anabolism
I then called the customer service number, asked for a manager, and explained the situation to a manager and said I'd like to talk to a credit analyst. She transferred me to one, who said he could pull my credit report and see. After doing so, he said I can get the new card if I shift credit from my current card, which of course I agreed to.
My new card arrived. I activated it and logged in to my account; the new card shows there, but the Rewards section does not say anything about the 60k sign-up bonus. My "You've been approved" email also does not say anything about a bonus.

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Thanks anabolism for your DP, also interested to learn about he Credit analyst line#, please PM and share. Thanks and good luck churning!
See my post (quoted above) -- I was transferred to credit analyst.

Originally Posted by frudd38
There hasn't been a DP of approval and not receiving the bonus, so you're likely fine.
I am concerned that I may be such a data point (see above).
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
My new card arrived. I activated it and logged in to my account; the new card shows there, but the Rewards section does not say anything about the 60k sign-up bonus. My "You've been approved" email also does not say anything about a bonus.

Hopefully you won't be, but my money is on that you're fine. Remember you need to pay the AF as well before the miles will post.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

The "you've been approved" email will never include the bonus that you'll get. The email you should be looking for is the one with the subject "Welcome. Learn more about your new card." Based on the emails that I've saved and put into separate folders, my approval email came on September 18 (2017) and the welcome email came on September 29 (2017). So just keep a look out for that one email.

On a side note, when you logged into your online account, did you click on rewards & benefits and then earning aadvantage miles?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:16 pm

My new card arrived. I activated it and logged in to my account; the new card shows there, but the Rewards section does not say anything about the 60k sign-up bonus.
Terrific news: based on xjaehyun's prodding, I went further into the awards section and the Earning AAdvantage® miles section does show the bonus!

The "you've been approved" email will never include the bonus that you'll get.
Thanks for the clarification. It was earlier references in the thread to the email that made me think it was this one.

On a side note, when you logged into your online account, did you click on rewards & benefits and then earning aadvantage miles?
No, I'd clicked on Rewards & Benefits and then View Rewards Activity. Thanks for the clarification ^
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:52 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Terrific news: based on xjaehyun's prodding, I went further into the awards section and the Earning AAdvantage® miles section does show the bonus!
Great news!

I looked over your last few posts on this, please remind us of the stats: This is for your second Barclay's AA card while holding the first still open? It was auto-denied and then approved with a call?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:55 am

Current DP: Just earned my second bonus - 40kAA the first time (Late 2016) and 60k AA the second time. The first card was closed for a little over a month before applying for the new card. 60kAA shows earned on first statement with new card.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:54 am

No Aviator biz version in-flight; either in mag or via asking flight attendants

Flew AA in late Sept and Oct 4th. No Aviator biz form in either the Sept or Oct mag. Nor was any flight attendant aware of a biz version when I asked--they looked puzzled.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

Is it possible to get the annual fee waived if I cancel within 3 months of card approval? Should I just not pay it?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Great news!

I looked over your last few posts on this, please remind us of the stats: This is for your second Barclay's AA card while holding the first still open? It was auto-denied and then approved with a call?
Yes, I have a previous Barclay Aviator still open, this app was auto-denied but approved after being transferred to a credit analyst:

I currently have an Aviator card; I applied for a new card and received the "10 day" message. I called the Reconsideration number in the Wiki (866-408-4064, also sent to me in PM as the "backdoor" number). Agent told me I was denied, and that it was because I already had an Aviator; I tried to explain that I wanted the extra card to keep business expenses separate but she said there is no reconsideration for this. I then called the customer service number, asked for a manager, and explained the situation to a manager and said I'd like to talk to a credit analyst. She transferred me to one, who said he could pull my credit report and see. After doing so, he said I can get the new card if I shift credit from my current card, which of course I agreed to.

Takeaway: the Reconsiderations/backdoor number may or may not be the same department as the credit analysts; if it is the same, then it seems very much to depend on which agent you get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.