Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Avianca Vuela Visa Card
https://www.lifemilescreditcard.com/...avianca.aspx#!

40,000 miles after first purchase
Plus an extra 20,000 miles if you enter code AVSPWE (see post #1) LM17WB (see post #72)
$149 annual fee, not waived
No foreign transaction fees

***If you have an error during application that your information couldn't be verified, put in your mobile number (instead of home phone landline). This is for people whose app errors out before the ID verification questions pop up***

additional discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...oming-u-s.html
Print Wikipost

Avianca Vuela Visa: up to 60K miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I know nothing about this specific bank, I but I do know that at some other banks you have to either wait 3+ months after cancelling, or wait until the canceled card drops off of the website, before you can apply without having problems with the bank confusing it with a previous card still being open.
We need data points. This seems like a valuable enough offer, even at $159/40k without the AVSPWE code.

From the post above, I think it's safe to guess that reapplying within the same month is off limits. Has anyone here successfully gotten a second one?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
We need data points. This seems like a valuable enough offer, even at $159/40k without the AVSPWE code.

From the post above, I think it's safe to guess that reapplying within the same month is off limits. Has anyone here successfully gotten a second one?
That is the million dollar question. I have not seen any data points for churning this card. I just closed my 1st card yesterday and I plan to wait +3 months to apply again. The Lifemiles Card has lost some value with their new expiration policy (very similar to LAN) and now only 40k miles vs 60k miles.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BONDMI6
That is the million dollar question. I have not seen any data points for churning this card. I just closed my 1st card yesterday and I plan to wait +3 months to apply again. The Lifemiles Card has lost some value with their new expiration policy (very similar to LAN) and now only 40k miles vs 60k miles.
Please explain.

Everything I've read (including the T&Cs) claims that all manners of earning still defer expiration on Avianca. Expiration period remains 24 months for those who hold the card (or have status), but shrinks to 12 months for all others.

So first, how is 24 months of expiration (holding the card) "losing value" compared to 12 months (not holding the card)?
Second, how is so like the LATAM policy where the only way to reset expiration is by paid LATAM flights (not even OW flights credited to LATAM work!), but only once every 36 months?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Please explain.

Everything I've read (including the T&Cs) claims that all manners of earning still defer expiration on Avianca. Expiration period remains 24 months for those who hold the card (or have status), but shrinks to 12 months for all others.

So first, how is 24 months of expiration (holding the card) "losing value" compared to 12 months (not holding the card)?
Second, how is so like the LATAM policy where the only way to reset expiration is by paid LATAM flights (not even OW flights credited to LATAM work!), but only once every 36 months?
I think he just means the overall LM program lost some value due to the new expiration rule and the card lost its value due it being an LM earning card. But yes, in terms of resetting expiration, the card is more valuable in that aspect.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:44 pm

Please explain.

Hi sdsearch, Thank you for your response and questions. You are correct that the Lifemiles credit card holders have the benefit of 24 months before expiration. Also, it is easy to extend the expiration by transferring Citi Thank You points. The Lifemiles card now only gives a 40k bonus vs 60k bonus. In this sense the Lifemiles card has lost value. You are correct regarding LATAM expiration policy which requires paid LATAM flights to extend the miles expiration. Lifemiles now requires specific types of accrual for extending their miles.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by joer1212
I have no idea how anyone here is actually getting approved for this card. I can't even complete the application process because it's so glitchy.
When I fill out the application and attempt to proceed, I get the following error message:

please enter a valid email address

Mind you, my email address IS valid!
To make Banco Popular happy, I entered one my other email addresses that I rarely use, but no luck. Same stubborn error message.

I finally gave up in disgust. It's one thing to be unable to get a card due to bad credit, or other legitimate factors, it's quite another when it's due to an application page that is dysfunctional beyond repair.
That about sums up the experience of trying to book an award ticket on the LifeMiles website, too. One glitch after the other. And when you call to get an agent to try to book for you, they are completely helpless, and tell you to send an email to their support desk with a screenshot of the glitch. Then support takes a week to answer your question. By which time, of course, your precious award seats have probably been snatched by someone else.

It is an absolutely maddening way to book award tickets.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:15 am

Just a datapoint. My annual fee was due in a few days and finally got around to calling to cancel. Agent asked if I was canceling because the annual fee was due and offered to waive it, one time only. But, next year I'd have to cancel if I didn't want to pay the fee. Went ahead and accepted the offer.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

Request in writing to reduce the credit limit

They want a request in writing to reduce the credit limit. I guess I'll take the easy route and just cancel it :-)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slickw
They want a request in writing to reduce the credit limit. I guess I'll take the easy route and just cancel it :-)
Just to be clear, you're not planning to apply for another one anytime in the near future right? (Because that's where, with many banks, lowering credit limit before cancelling is critical. Of course I have no idea if it is at the particular bank.)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Anyone have trouble applying for the card? I applied a few months ago with a new address I was at temporarily and was denied for not being at my address long enough.

Eight months later I'm applying with my permanent address. I get this:

Our records indicate that you have an application in process or an existing Avianca credit card account; therefore, you are unable to apply at this time.

Any ideas how to proceed? I did get a mailed denial so hard to believe I'm still pending.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Anyone have trouble applying for the card? I applied a few months ago with a new address I was at temporarily and was denied for not being at my address long enough.

Eight months later I'm applying with my permanent address. I get this:

Our records indicate that you have an application in process or an existing Avianca credit card account; therefore, you are unable to apply at this time.

Any ideas how to proceed? I did get a mailed denial so hard to believe I'm still pending.
Try calling Banco Popular and talking with a bank rep on how to best proceed. As this is a relatively new bank managing the Lifemiles credit card, there are not many DPs on reapplying a 2nd time for this card. Let us know here the results of your phone call and application.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:59 pm

DoC reporting that bonus is 60k again. Edited wiki with current code

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/avian...-one-purchase/

Direct link to offer (note this shows the bonuses as 20,000 & 40,000 miles. You must enter the promo code LM17WB to receive the higher bonus. Click apply now and then on the first page there is a section to add this code)
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I wonder how many people got instant approvals vs request for more doc and the reason for that
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
I applied with the promo code LM17WB and system says: "EVALUATING".
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:32 pm

Just got approved for the Vuela Visa with 40k credit limit but it didn't state number of miles received (I used LM17WB).
I also tried applying for the Vida Visa a few minutes after but received the following: "Our records indicate that you have an application in process or an existing Avianca credit card account; therefore, you are unable to apply at this time."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.