Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Back for 2014: US Bank FlexPerks Olympics Promo ($549+ bonus until 3/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
Medal final results as of 2/23:
9 gold, 7 silver, 12 bronze = 7450 points + 20k guaranteed = 27,450 points

This promotion is similar to a very successful offer during the 2012 Olympics --
See this historic thread: [EXPIRED] U.S. Bank CC with 33,150 FlexPerks [~640 USD] travel sign up bonus, no fee

NOTE: This offer is officially expired. Even though the application page still loads, it is likely that you will only receive the 20k point portion of the offer if you apply now.

The offer expires March 7, 2014, and includes:
Deadline extended - must be approved by March 14, 2014... offer includes:

• Guaranteed 20,000 FlexPerks points after $3500 spend within first four months
  • An additional bonus depending on how many medals USA teams win during the Olympics [Gold = 500, Silver = 250, Bronze = 100; actual total = 7450 points]
  • First purchase must be made by March 31 to be awarded the 7450 point medals bonus
  • For reference, based on results at the last winter Olympics, the total bonus would have been 29,550, worth almost $600
  • $0 fee first year, then $49 subsequent years
  • 3 pts/$ on donations to charity
  • 2 pts/$ for gas, grocery, and airline purchases
  • 1 pt/$ elsewhere

More about bonus earning categories:

2pts/$ in whichever ONE of the following you had your highest spend for the statement month:
  • Grocery stores
  • Gas Stations
  • Airline Travel
And always 2pts/$ for cellphone bill payments

Each point is worth up to 2 cents when redeemed for airline tickets, according to this tiered redemption system:

No partial redemptions are allowed. In other words, a ticket priced at $395 costs 20k points while a ticket priced at $405 costs 30k points. No option to combine points+cash. Each redemption includes a reimbursement for up to $25 of incidentals charged directly by the airline.

For general questions on FlexPerks points, see this long-running thread: U.S. Bank FlexPerks [Master Thread]
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Back for 2014: US Bank FlexPerks Olympics Promo ($549+ bonus until 3/14)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: All of em...
Got an email today:
Biz card declined.

Called in to recon, and she told me I was approved for $14k. Turned out she was referring to the personal card I applied for at the same time. She sent my biz app off for reconsideration and seemed really positive.

1 for 2 right now, so maybe there is hope. Not sure what agency they pulled though b/c they didn't pull Experian. Probably good as I have 27 inquiries.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:09 am

Wife got an error on the confirmation page last night. Called the 1-800 to check status, it said they have no related app. weird. Any one have this happen. Could not freezing ARS have anything to do with this? (last aor was nov 13). Gracias!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:44 pm

Yup, biz card declined after reconsideration for "too many new accounts". They want to see history with them. Got the personal at least.

Have been impressed w/USB this week though as they seem to be getting quicker.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:49 pm

Applied for biz and personal on Sunday. Got pending on both. Logged into USbank today and saw one was approved. Got an email a few hours later saying that the biz card was approved. No word on personal yet.

When I call the 800 number and enter in my SSN it says they have trouble locating my app for both the personal and biz. Yes, this occurs even after the biz was approved. Odd system....
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by kaipoman
Applied for biz and personal on Sunday. Got pending on both. Logged into USbank today and saw one was approved. Got an email a few hours later saying that the biz card was approved. No word on personal yet.

When I call the 800 number and enter in my SSN it says they have trouble locating my app for both the personal and biz. Yes, this occurs even after the biz was approved. Odd system....
US Bank's automated system can't handle multiple applications. You always get the "trouble locating your app" message when you have multiple apps in the system, regardless of what their statuses are.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:08 pm

Good to know. Gracias.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:08 am

Just logged in and saw both person and biz approved. Didnt bother freezing anything prior to application (ditto when I got the CC card 3 months ago). $18k limits on both. 14 TU apps in the past 12 months. 750 FICO score according to Barclays.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:47 am

I might just pull the trigger on this. Can you eventually downgrade this card to a cash+ card? That would definitely make it worth it for me
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:04 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by willhernandez
Can you eventually downgrade this card to a cash+ card?
Yes; any remaining points are cut in value by half, tho.

It might be too late at this point. The offer seems to imply the card needs to be approved by tomorrow. If you're not instantly approved, the backlog seems to be about a week for a decision. In fact, my wife applied last Friday and just this morning it's finally been approved.

She had the card from the last Olympics offer and downgraded it to a Cash+, so we'll see if she gets the bonus again. Couldn't wait around any longer for someone else to try first.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:12 pm

I only got the 20k signup bonus and the points from spending. When do the olympics points post?

Edit: apparently 6-8 weeks for those.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:12 am

Adding my experience as a data point. Applied on 02/25/14 after applying for (4) other cards on 02/24/14. Naturally, I was denied due to too many recent inquiries. I now know that US Bank applications should be done first or very early on during an AOR, not the next day lol! I read the numerous posts here and elsewhere about US Bank not budging on reconsideration and I almost left it at that. However, I did end up calling them for reconsideration @ 1-800-947-1444. I called them a couple times since and checked the recorded status daily, including early this morning and it was still in process. I just called in this afternoon and the recording noted that I was approved. So, I am very happy to have just made the cut-off for the Olympic medals bonus. To recap: Send US Bank applications first and *always try for reconsideration.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:53 am

Pers card was received in less than a week. Look at good 'ole USB getting more competent!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mulbry
Us Bank has no honor
I couldn't agree with this more. The failures of customer service I have witnessed from US Bank are shocking.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: aa wn ua
applied 3/11
approved 3/13

I just received card. CSR indicated no olympic bonus on card and is requesting i fax in written request with proof of bonus offer. I didn't take screenshot of offer/app page when I applied. Lesson learned!

Just wondering if anyone can post image of the offer with the 3/14 end date?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

Question Different terms than what was shown?

Hi people. So I was approved for this card last Friday evening and just received the card now. I don't recall the terms on the application page saying 0% or the annual fee being $55. Anyway, the terms I have say I have 0% until March next year and the annual fee of $55 not being waived for the first year. It's not that big of a deal, but I was just curious if anyone else received these same terms after applying and receiving this card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.