Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

TD Bank [USA] Cash Rewards [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zeppoloveskafka
Was given number 1-877-745-5040 as direct number for claiming rewards.

But easier to do at https://easyrewards.tdbank.com/ and statement credits post very quickly.

Target and Walmart seem to be posting at 1%, even when they are supposed to code grocery.
Print Wikipost

TD Bank [USA] Cash Rewards [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Definitely agree with that. Assuming $40K in spend, 120K HH points < 40K SPG points. To be honest for strictly miles/points purposes I'd say Chase Sapphire for 1.07 UR points or Amex PRG since you get the 15K (?) bonus after I think spending $30K would be your best bets. Other high value high spend items are Fairmont free night after 12K spend, Hilton Reserve 10K spend = one free weekend night, BA card $30K gets companion pass are some solid options.
Thanks, I will look into those.

I am actually getting a loan from the bank for the $60K purchase, but the vendor is allowing me to pay for it with a CC and the bank said they can reimburse me if I show proof of payment to the vendor.

I start thinking about what I can do with 60K starpoints since I just emptied my account redeeming for Hawaii during peak season...

The loan rep then says 99% of professionals taking this kind of equipment loan don't do it this way. Then he starts telling me it's a bad idea to put it on a CC. I ask why, and he says bc people forget to pay their CC and now they are paying a higher interest on the CC rather than just the interest on the loan. I said that's dumb because I pay my CC off on time. Then he starts lecturing me about how if I have extra money sitting around, I should fully fund my retirement and just let the loan company send the vendor the check. I asked how long does it take for the check to arrive and he tells me it is overnighted the minute they get the invoice. I am still . He then says most people don't have the $60K sitting around. OK, I buy that. I have the $60K to front the money and wait a week or two for the loan check and am pretty sure my not-yet fully funded retirement accounts won't take a huge hit in 2 weeks.

But why would he care if the loan was repaid to me versus being paid to the Vendor when the vendor said I could do it via the CC method?
Old May 20, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you fly Southwest and have a person to serve as a companion on your domestic flights, consider that with this expenditure you'd get 60K Southwest points. That plus the 50K they've been offering with card signup gives you a Companion Pass, good through end of 2014.

That could be worth up to several thousand dollars.

Last edited by toomanybooks; May 20, 2013 at 6:51 pm
Old May 20, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: all
United Club card will give you 90K United miles
Old May 20, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by sent
The loan rep then says 99% of professionals taking this kind of equipment loan don't do it this way. Then he starts telling me it's a bad idea to put it on a CC. I ask why, and he says bc people forget to pay their CC and now they are paying a higher interest on the CC rather than just the interest on the loan. I said that's dumb because I pay my CC off on time. Then he starts lecturing me about how if I have extra money sitting around, I should fully fund my retirement and just let the loan company send the vendor the check. I asked how long does it take for the check to arrive and he tells me it is overnighted the minute they get the invoice. I am still . He then says most people don't have the $60K sitting around. OK, I buy that. I have the $60K to front the money and wait a week or two for the loan check and am pretty sure my not-yet fully funded retirement accounts won't take a huge hit in 2 weeks.

But why would he care if the loan was repaid to me versus being paid to the Vendor when the vendor said I could do it via the CC method?
He's afraid you gamble that money away and declear bankrupcy?

Maybe 99% ARE dumb so that such advice is sound 99% of the times. I'm also puzzled to why so many people are using debit card to buy stuff -- sometimes hundreds of dollars.

If you want to apply for new cards, this may be interesting:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...spend-bonuses/
Old May 22, 2013, 7:15 am

I have the exact same situation (just bought an item on eBay for $46K, and the seller indicated he prefers PayPal)
I have an equipment purchase LOC @5% that I can put it on, but since I can charge it to cards, I'd like to get rewards and 0% APR too.

So I've looked at cards that offer the best bonus, point per dollar spent, and longest 0% APR.
These might help you as well
The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard - 50K miles bonus, 12 months 0% APR
Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard - 40K mile bonus, 12 month 0% APR
BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card - 10K bonus, but 1.5 pts/dollar, 12 month 0 APR

There are a number of cards that I've found on creditcards.com that offer no bonus or rewards, but 0% for 18 months, which may be helpful as well, like Citi Simplicity or Chase Slate.
While they won't give you rewards, the saved interest can more than make up for it.
steve
Old May 22, 2013, 7:26 am

double post

Last edited by stevento; May 22, 2013 at 7:27 am Reason: double post
Old May 23, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by stevento
I have the exact same situation (just bought an item on eBay for $46K, and the seller indicated he prefers PayPal)
I have an equipment purchase LOC @5% that I can put it on, but since I can charge it to cards, I'd like to get rewards and 0% APR too.

So I've looked at cards that offer the best bonus, point per dollar spent, and longest 0% APR.
These might help you as well
The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard - 50K miles bonus, 12 months 0% APR
Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard - 40K mile bonus, 12 month 0% APR
BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card - 10K bonus, but 1.5 pts/dollar, 12 month 0 APR

There are a number of cards that I've found on creditcards.com that offer no bonus or rewards, but 0% for 18 months, which may be helpful as well, like Citi Simplicity or Chase Slate.
While they won't give you rewards, the saved interest can more than make up for it.
steve

is the Lufthansa miles and more on a balance transfer? if so you will pay a transaction fee
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by sent
Because if you pay with a credit card, he has to pay a transaction fee to process your card. I'm not sure what it is, think it's 1-3%.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just re-read and saw that it was the bank giving you the loan the hassle. What he said is true of the vast majority of people. Don't mess with credit cards. But if you stay on top of it, you'll be fine. And there is some "know your client" legislation, where banks are responsible for not letting their higher-net customers mis-use all their money. Because of that legislation, there may be customer policy where he has to say something like that.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:17 am

u have a 60k limit on ur spg or is it a charge card? if i had 60k to spend, i'd spread it between several cards and signup bonuses.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:47 am

churning TD Bank Cash Rewards

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I was unable to find the thread.

For the first 6 months after sign up, you get 5% cash back on groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments with the TD Bank Cash Rewards card. The utility bill payments are a big deal for me, since this is the only card that I know of right now that gives 5% on electricity and gas bills. One could buy gift cards and use them to pay your utilities, but that has additional fees in buying the gift card (not to mention that there are much cheaper ways of getting money off of visa/mc gift cards).

In any case, I recently found out that you can churn these cards. I closed my account in January 2013, and re-applied in September 2013, and they gave me the 5% bonus for 6 months again! They said you are considered a new customer after 3 months of closing your CC, so a husband and wife could get the 5% bonus indefinitely by applying and closing accounts.

Note, it is not easy to apply for this card; you either have to have an account with TD Bank or apply in person at a branch. Gotta love the Canadians.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
What limits do they give?
I got the Citizens Bank 10% (3 months EDS) invite earlier this year and they gave me a $1k limit.
I still cleared more then 1k in CB but it was alot of work!

Originally Posted by brandon032586
Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I was unable to find the thread.

For the first 6 months after sign up, you get 5% cash back on groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments with the TD Bank Cash Rewards card. The utility bill payments are a big deal for me, since this is the only card that I know of right now that gives 5% on electricity and gas bills. One could buy gift cards and use them to pay your utilities, but that has additional fees in buying the gift card (not to mention that there are much cheaper ways of getting money off of visa/mc gift cards).

In any case, I recently found out that you can churn these cards. I closed my account in January 2013, and re-applied in September 2013, and they gave me the 5% bonus for 6 months again! They said you are considered a new customer after 3 months of closing your CC, so a husband and wife could get the 5% bonus indefinitely by applying and closing accounts.

Note, it is not easy to apply for this card; you either have to have an account with TD Bank or apply in person at a branch. Gotta love the Canadians.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:13 am

Good to know. I didn't have a checking account with them during my last AOR in August so I couldn't apply online. I opened a checking account with them and try to keep some money in it so hopefully when I do my next AOR I will get a better CL than the $2000 Wells Fargo gave me on their 5% EDP card.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 3:35 pm

They give very low limits. Just like Citizens and most other small banks.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:54 am

They gave me a $15,000 limit, though the first time they gave me only $6,000. This makes me think that they give a higher limit the second time around (acknowledging that you need it and have shown that you will pay off the high balances).
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:01 am

They gave me a 18k limit. Also, TD Bank, while a horrible bank, they are not small by any means. I believe the sixth or seventh largest bank in N. America (they are Canadian)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.