Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by ttlmmky
Update: Went back to the branch. With another banker, we called both credit card services and fraud dept. The banker told me that officially the account was cleared but they can't guarantee another purchase would go through. The banker and I are both Russian, so she gave me the part of the conversation she wasn't supposed to share with me (fraud dept even asked if speaker was on) Fraud told the banker that the reason it may or may not go through is that some people are putting large charges on the card "just for the points." I asked the banker how in the world they'd know one way or the other and that I buy these GC's for business purposes.

After I left the bank I went straight to Rite Aid and attempted a 2k transaction. Declined, of course, second swipe too. Get in the car, while driving, call to clear card again with CS. Go to another Rite Aid and attempt 1k. Decline x2.

Ain't this card lovely?
Finally

some more Russian blood lol

Seriously though you must have done something really out of the ordinary to get yourself "noticed"

yeah, for me they call once in a while but its never an issue
I remember, at first my card declined at CVS once when my CL was like 2k even though i had over paid, but once they raised my CL up to 10k never anymore big issues
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnChop
Apparently WF is not as stupid as AE who has finally started shutting people down who used the Old Blue Cash for $100,000/mo for years. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just watching you run around town and giggling about your next decline.

I got the card a week ago and nearly every transaction is another call to fraud. They have not made me go into a branch though thank god. They haven't yet asked what I'm buying but their desire to know is absolutely evident. I will say if you tell them it's for business purposes they may be able to shut you down right there. Not sure for this card but for many personal cards, it's in the terms, not for business use.

Good luck. I admire your perseverance. Keep it up until there is only one winner standing. Hopefully you.
Thanks for the kind words. I'll have to try large and infrequent transactions and have them on the line with me. I see most folks here reference the fraud #. Is the number on the back of the card useless for approving transactions?

And one more question - I read about 20 pages back and i see folks saying that for platinum cards, which most of you seem to have, if you pay it off with a non WF accout, it won't post for 14 days. I have a Visa Signature card - does that still apply?
Thanks!!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Thanks for the kind words. I'll have to try large and infrequent transactions and have them on the line with me. I see most folks here reference the fraud #. Is the number on the back of the card useless for approving transactions?

And one more question - I read about 20 pages back and i see folks saying that for platinum cards, which most of you seem to have, if you pay it off with a non WF accout, it won't post for 14 days. I have a Visa Signature card - does that still apply?
Thanks!!

They will most likely transfer you back to fraud,so might as well call them directly

As you can see first hand, wells Fargo is not very trusting
therefore they want to verify 100% that your payment from other banks are valid and won't bounce
Wells Fargo will acknowledge that they received your payment by zeroing out your current balance but will not increase your available credit line for "up to 14. days" while they verify your payment
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
They will most likely transfer you back to fraud,so might as well call them directly

As you can see first hand, wells Fargo is not very trusting
therefore they want to verify 100% that your payment from other banks are valid and won't bounce
Wells Fargo will acknowledge that they received your payment by zeroing out your current balance but will not increase your available credit line for "up to 14. days" while they verify your payment
Given that I can't seem to get more than 1.5k on this card, credit line issues are the least of my worries! When the time comes I'll try to get some cash in my WF account.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:05 pm

Given that I can't seem to get more than 1.5k on this card, credit line issues are the least of my worries! When the time comes I'll try to get some cash in my WF account.
On the heels of your troubles with Target and WF, I'll chime in too. I've been able to do about $4k at markets with the usual fraud calls. They've always said sorry for the inconvenience, we'll unlock your account and this won't happen again! LOL. So I do $1000 at Albertson's and for the first time it goes through without a decline first! Next day I get multiple calls from fraud both to my work # and my cell. I call them, they confirm I made the charges, "sorry sir, this won't happen again..blah, blah, blah". I asked why they are calling when they already authorized the charges. They were never declined. They didn't have an answer.

I'm able to make few small normal spend charges at markets and the gas station over the next couple days. Then I do a massive $14 charge at a taco restaurant today and it's declined.

No call from fraud. Nothing. So I call them an hour ago. "Why the decline on such a small charge?". She says "I don't know. It shouldn't have but there are fraud flags all over your account..". Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. She says "..your account is new so it hasn't learned your patterns yet." I'm thinking maybe the small charges and the large charges are confusing the system. She did say, and this is true, many card thieves will start with small charges and work there way up. Opposite here though.

She says...drumroll..."sorry, this shouldn't happen again. I've noted your account and will forward your info to our "leadership team" so they can look into why you are getting these many fraud alerts. Huh?! What! Leadership?? No. No. No. (I didn't actually say that, but you know what I was thinking)

Leadership sounds like management to me and that sounds..well, like bad.

Anyway, supposedly the fraud alert is off for now. I'm hitting Albertson's again after work in a few hours and see if I can pull another $1,000. If not, I'll be expecting a call from one of their "leaders" on that so called "team".
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:46 am

Update to post above, went to supermarket, 2 gift cards, went through both transactions approved. No call from fraud even after the fact. I'm sticking to this one location to see if that helps.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:02 am

Update to post above, went to supermarket, 2 gift cards, went through both transactions approved. No call from fraud even after the fact. I'm sticking to this one location to see if that helps.
Stop trying to beat this card to death. Stick to 1 transaction per day and your problems will go away (eventually). Buying thousands of dollars and then $14 at a taco stand sounds fishy to me too.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:53 am

Can anyone confirm/deny purchases made at CircleK earning 5% back?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:26 am

I recently got this card. Ran it through cvs a couple times no problems, but last two times it keeps getting denied. I have a gas station that works last two times, just wondering if I need to vary spend and location

Last edited by LBJFlight23; Nov 6, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:37 am

Looks like using the WF site to pay the card from an external bank account increased the credit limit for me. I have a Visa Signature
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
There is another thread on FT about the WF 5x and I have followed that advice to a T. Just finished my first month w/o any fraud alerts. I had very few small purchases (which my AU did by mistake) and kept my pattern of amounts and stores consistent - shopping for a lot of groceries every 2-3 days. From what the other thread says, the WF method of detecting fraud is different than other banks. They want to see a consistent pattern and mixing large and small purchases is not consistent for them. IME do not vary locations. I have not used it at a gas station since that is a large source of CC fraud.

In order to avoid problems, I will never exceed the CL and pay only once a month when the statement posts. And pay at a branch with a check from another bank, not BB.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:43 pm

Wells Fargo CC for NRA

I applied for wells Fargo 5x CB card. It went to pending and asked for SSN and DL copy. After they reviewed my account said that Non - Resident alien can't apply for Wells Fargo unsecured cards. Well I have almost 13 CC from diff banks. This is a first time I heard such a thing.

Anyone with same issue or know if non resident alien can successfully apply or can get wells fargo CC ? Called twice with same response, Can't apply.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:26 pm

Opposite for me as well. Got both. Got Propel, met promo, got the bonus $400 + $100 airline credit via paper checks and deposited at BofA. Applied for WF cash back card a few weeks ago (about 3 months after applying for the Propel). I was concerned because nowhere in my documents I received did it state I was eligible for 5%. I called, rep said you will get 5%. Also learned, if you go to the Rewards section tied to your account it actually tells you the % you are eligible for and the date your promo ends. Seeing that on-line was great.

Same day I got the card, charged around $1,000 at a supermarket before statement closed 3 days later. Quick stmt closing. The $50 posted as a reward. A couple days later I received a marketing flyer in the mail confirming the 5% for 6 mo.

I have no checking acct with WF, but I do have an HSA account, very little in it, like $1,000. Maybe that helped, not sure. So just the 2 credit cards and the HSA. Anyway, for what it's worth.

...oh and another thing, the fraud alerts are constant. I am always speaking to reps. No one has asked me what I am buying, but I can tell they are itching to know. I call the automated robot # first, but 1/2 the time it says it must transfer me to flesh and blood.
So you didn't close your Propel first before applying/receiving this card?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by JoJo12
There is another thread on FT about the WF 5x and I have followed that advice to a T. Just finished my first month w/o any fraud alerts. I had very few small purchases (which my AU did by mistake) and kept my pattern of amounts and stores consistent - shopping for a lot of groceries every 2-3 days. From what the other thread says, the WF method of detecting fraud is different than other banks. They want to see a consistent pattern and mixing large and small purchases is not consistent for them. IME do not vary locations. I have not used it at a gas station since that is a large source of CC fraud.

In order to avoid problems, I will never exceed the CL and pay only once a month when the statement posts. And pay at a branch with a check from another bank, not BB.
I think your misinformed. You will have no problems using bluebird or even ACH from wells fargo if you aren't going over your credit limit at all during the month.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks ibleedOrange. I guess I am being too cautious but I don't want to loose this good thing (I got a high CL). However, the branch never has lines and is on my path. Based on what you say, I will use BB if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.