FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

Silverthunder Jun 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron (Post 23052262)
Fair enough. I posted this up thread somewhere, but I got a call after going over my limit where they specifically told me to stop spending more than my limit, even when paying down. On the advice of people here I ignored WF and kept going. My 6 months just ended a couple of days ago, so I just need one more statement to post.

Seems tough to believe that I can keep going at same pace.

I mean, they are on my ....
I made my 3rd payment for the statement cycle bringing the payment total a bit over 15k (which is my CL). Within a couple of hours, Wells Fargo is calling. And you could tell, this was someone that spoke a little more intelligently than your average CSR.

zeppoloveskafka Jun 18, 2014 8:04 pm

You need to transfer from checking to credit card. That's the way to go. Stay off their radar by being predictable and the sky is the limit. Can't be lazy with this deal. I opened 6 new checking accounts to eat money orders. Still got 5 left. Rust in peace Firstrust.

teddy25 Jun 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Does anyone know if target is considered grocery ? I know WM is not.

mster Jun 18, 2014 9:31 pm

-----

cdancer20 Jun 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 23058990)
Does anyone know if target is considered grocery ? I know WM is not.

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/index.jsp
Put in your city and the store name. It will show you the corresponding MCC for that store. No one can tell you what your local store will or will not code as.

teddy25 Jun 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 23059003)
https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/index.jsp
Put in your city and the store name. It will show you the corresponding MCC for that store. No one can tell you what your local store will or will not code as.

The website is not 100% accurate. It lists one of my local wm as drug store, which I didn't get 5% at.

Just have o use it at the corporate target store tomorrow.

pwned Jun 18, 2014 10:43 pm

nvmnd

cdancer20 Jun 19, 2014 7:29 am

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 23059214)
The website is not 100% accurate. It lists one of my local wm as drug store, which I didn't get 5% at.

Just have o use it at the corporate target store tomorrow.

I would assume that the drug store part only affects the pharmacy...LOL. It may not be 100% but it's a great guideline and of course you should test it yourself with a small purchase if you are worried. In my limited experience, Walmarts that have a grocery section, i.e. Super Walmarts, have always coded as grocery. Target stores with grocery as well.

Silverthunder Jun 19, 2014 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 23058574)
You need to transfer from checking to credit card. That's the way to go. Stay off their radar by being predictable and the sky is the limit. Can't be lazy with this deal. I opened 6 new checking accounts to eat money orders. Still got 5 left. Rust in peace Firstrust.

Recently, I have been doing mostly payments from my Wells account. Although, you could be right. Maybe what attracted them is ACH pulling from other financial institutions. Although I really don't think that we have enough data points to support your conclusion.

mster Jun 20, 2014 12:20 am

-----

ibleed0range Jun 20, 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by mster (Post 23065797)
Are you doing payments directly from non-WF checking or ACH pulls from non-WF checking accounts into WF checking then paying from your WF account?

ACH pulls from non WF checking works best, but I can't speak for the OP.

ponickka Jun 20, 2014 12:18 pm

What is the valuation of the points? Is it 1;1 ratio?

Thanks

ibleed0range Jun 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ponickka (Post 23068337)
What is the valuation of the points? Is it 1;1 ratio?

Thanks

I think travel is higher if you have the Points card and not the cash back. But I wouldn't risk leaving points in there to make travel reservations if you do any type of volume.

Buckaroo123 Jun 20, 2014 1:09 pm

I just got approved with a 5k line. I would like to get a higher line, should I call in now or wait to get my card to ask?

Thanks

nadir576 Jun 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Buckaroo123 (Post 23068605)
I just got approved with a 5k line. I would like to get a higher line, should I call in now or wait to get my card to ask?

Thanks

Call now if you think you have high credit lines with other players. Expect another inquiry, most likely on EXP. I am speaking of my personal experience. I was approved for paltry $2k limit, called after getting a card and asked the limit to be up by $15K, approved after little questioning. Similar case with SO.