FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

hamhead Jun 9, 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 23003994)
Better to do semi-frequent deposits directly into WF -or- less frequent, but larger ACH pulls to WF from other accounts (not s****ing where you eat)?

For what its worth, I've deposited $10-12k a month in MO deposits for 2 months now since I've had the card and had no issues with that.

I've only paid my 5x card from Wells bank account.

mster Jun 9, 2014 12:59 pm

-----

scocjo Jun 9, 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by scocjo (Post 22991143)
Quick question. I opened this card a week ago and after my first transaction posted I went to make sure it was giving me the 5% as described in the wiki. The 5% was not showing up - only 1%. I called up Wells Fargo and the lady told me I was set up for 5% but she needed to transfer me to the rewards department for details of how to use them. No big deal (I thought) - just gives me a chance to double check. The person I spoke with over there said I was not signed up for any bonus and he'd have to open a case (which he did).

1) What have others experience been like? Was it instant or does it take time for the bonus to show up?
2) Does anyone have experience with getting the bonus retroactively applied? Just wondering what to expect - first Wells Fargo Card.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Just a quick follow-up to this in case anyone is/will be in the same boat. Called back and they confirmed that no bonus offer is on my card. The lady told me that the "marketing department" is the only one who can add the bonus but there is no way to speak to them. She also told me there is no such thing as 5% for 6 month offer. When I read her the website she just said I'd have to talk to the rewards department.

They did transfer me to the rewards department (which is where I started last week) who is opening a new case to give me the bonus but the person I spoke to had no idea whether they'd be able to do anything. She agreed I should have got the bonus as it was right on the website and hoped "they" would give it me. I find this all very strange as I applied thru their website.

Oh well, I've only moved thru a couple thousand of MS so far. Will halt any more until they give me the bonus. Funny thing is I've had a Wells Checking account since high school and a Wells Mortgage for years. My oldest credit card is also a Wells Fargo Product. Always loved them but this has definitely soured my opinion. I don't blame the folks I talked to on the phone. They seemed nice but the system was clearly not one designed to solve customer's problems - rather to get you off the phone.

Back to AMEX and Chase for my spending.

cdancer20 Jun 9, 2014 1:46 pm

Wow your story sucks. Not to mention to have CSR's that aren't even knowledgeable about their own products. It seems like it would be pretty basic that they would know about the 5x for 6 months. The majority (if not all) of the current cards on their website right now have some form of this. Sigh...well I hope it all turns out right for you!

Wait quick question - you say that your oldest CC is with them. Is it possible that you didn't get the bonus b/c you already have a WF card?

scocjo Jun 9, 2014 1:54 pm

I thought about that, but its not a rewards card (or visa signature). I only keep it for age of accounts (got it in high school with a checking account) and use it once a year.

I didn't see anything in the terms that would invalidate my bonus because of that card, but who knows at this point.

mster Jun 9, 2014 2:11 pm

-----

mster Jun 9, 2014 2:16 pm

-----

scocjo Jun 9, 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 23004633)
How anyone would expect to get correct info directly from wells fargo is beyond me *facepalm*. 5x activity should be appearing as two line items - a 1x “Base Earning” item and a 4x “Bonus Earning” item visible under “My Rewards” -> “Activity” as described in the wiki.

(1) Confirm that you aren’t seeing the bonus activity item
(2) Try a different store / cat to ensure this isn’t just a coding issue with your store

Good suggestions. I have tried 3 different grocery stores and a gas station (all of which show up as they should for other cards and show up as grocery/gas on Wells). I also looked for the bonus as you mention above (and the wiki) and found nothing there (prompting my original call to Wells).

I posted this more as a cautionary tale for others (hopefully I am the only one with a problem) to make sure the bonus is applied to their account. Based on what the Wells Fargo people told me I am not optimistic that my situation will be positively resolved (though its still possible), but that's the way it goes sometimes in this game - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Plenty of other opportunities.

jazzmailman Jun 9, 2014 3:23 pm

If you have the rewards card instead of the cash back one, what are you doing with your points? Just deposit into your checking account?

I just checked the airfare redemption option, it seems like it is actually cheaper if you redeem it on airfare (unlike the Chase gimmick airfare redemption. WF redemption seems to be ~1.5x more, $300 vs 20,000 WF points). I checked a few flights that I have been monitoring on (using yapta.com so it tracks price), and they are all ~1.5x cheaper if redeemed through WF.

I am a little wary of leaving my reward points unredeemed though... in fear of WF shutting down my credit card without notice =/

** to somewhat contribute to the thread, I check the VISA merchant category before I start MSing. For example, a lot of Target are listed as Groceries - so your AMEX for Target reloads are also 5x.

gloreglabert Jun 9, 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by scocjo (Post 23004433)
My oldest credit card is also a Wells Fargo Product.

I believe that somewhere buried in the T&C it specifies that the 5% offer is only valid for first-time WF cardholders (any CC, not just this one). That's probably why you didn't get the promo attached to your account.

scocjo Jun 9, 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 23005316)
I believe that somewhere buried in the T&C it specifies that the 5% offer is only valid for first-time WF cardholders (any CC, not just this one). That's probably why you didn't get the promo attached to your account.

I went back and re-read the T&C...turns out you might be right. This little nugget was in there (not in 5% section but more towards the APR which I usually gloss over - which explains why I missed it):

"Eligibility for Introductory Rate(s), Fees, and Bonus Rewards Offers: If you currently have an open credit card account or a closed credit card account with a balance issued by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., you may not be eligible for the above introductory APR(s) and fees or the bonus rewards offers described below."

It does not say I am definitely not eligible, but it says "may not be." The funny thing about this language is it would suggest that you could use the card for 6 months, close the account, reapply over and over. Oh well. Mystery solved. Hopefully I get a nice person who give me the offer anyways, but this was a toss in card for a recent application cycle so no big deal. To the safe it goes!

Anyways - hope my story saves someone some aggravation at some point.

Silverthunder Jun 9, 2014 8:22 pm

any ideas on how to survive a call re: 3rd time account lock down for overpayments?

skibum7732 Jun 10, 2014 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Silverthunder (Post 23006645)
any ideas on how to survive a call re: 3rd time account lock down for overpayments?

put your head between your knees and pucker up;)

farwest101 Jun 10, 2014 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Silverthunder (Post 23006645)

Yes, just tell them the truth - you're not the brightest bulb.

cdancer20 Jun 10, 2014 6:11 am

Originally Posted by jazzmailman (Post 23005144)
If you have the rewards card instead of the cash back one, what are you doing with your points? Just deposit into your checking account?

I just checked the airfare redemption option, it seems like it is actually cheaper if you redeem it on airfare (unlike the Chase gimmick airfare redemption. WF redemption seems to be ~1.5x more, $300 vs 20,000 WF points). I checked a few flights that I have been monitoring on (using yapta.com so it tracks price), and they are all ~1.5x cheaper if redeemed through WF.

I am a little wary of leaving my reward points unredeemed though... in fear of WF shutting down my credit card without notice =/

** to somewhat contribute to the thread, I check the VISA merchant category before I start MSing. For example, a lot of Target are listed as Groceries - so your AMEX for Target reloads are also 5x.

Which card do you have?