Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Ugh...Barclays!!!!! [Problem Solving and/or Ranting Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere

Venting here. Just was denied for Barclays Arrival and Choice Privileges Cards. Both went to reconsideration. I spoke with their arrogant CSR and a supervisor. They decline based on fact I have applied for 12 cards in the past year. 2 of them are Barclays. I have a Barclay Virgin America and NFL card. In this same churn I was just approved for Chase Southwest Business...companion pass here I come...and SPG AMEX Biz. My other 2 apps were these Barclay cards. These are actually my first 2 denials ever. The supervisor states I have 150K in credit outstanding and they are worried I would max out. I told her to look at my utillization history. I don't come close to more than 5% in my monthly utilization spending. Plus I told her then approve me for a low limit if that is their worry. Actually they did that on my last Barclay card, I think it was $1500 limit. ha. I have a Chase card with $25k limit! I have a 740 plus credit score, own my home, I am 43, never been late on paying a card, pay in full every month, been in same job for 13 years and I make $90K plus per year. My wife was declined by these clowns last year as they wouldn't include our household income in their decision making process. It seems with them unless its an instant approval its a declination. I told the rep my credit history is identical to where it was when I was approved for my last Barclay card so I have no clue how they make their decisions? I'm done with them for at least 1 year.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Ugh...Friggin Barclays!!!!!

Probably it's good that you are done with them. They can see you are churning, have low utilisation, and high credit limits. What is the business rationale for them approving your application?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Probably it's good that you are done with them. They can see you are churning, have low utilisation, and high credit limits. What is the business rationale for them approving your application?
Same rationale as Chase and AMEX who approved my apps. To earn my business!!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by koctail
Were you going to give them any business after minimum spend was done though?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Ugh...Friggin Barclays!!!!!

Point is that Barclay doesn't want your business. You haven't proven yourself to be profitable to them.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Didn't realize this was the forum of bank executives....

I have a Virgin America Barclay card that I do use very frequently. It is probably my 2nd most used card and I definitely had plans of using the Arrival card frequently. Barclay is very inconsistent, which is my major issue with them.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's history demonstrates to Barclay's that he's a money loser for them. Maybe some other issuer wants him, but not Barclay's.

Why complain? They fired you. Move on.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
OP's history demonstrates to Barclay's that he's a money loser for them. Maybe some other issuer wants him, but not Barclay's.

Why complain? They fired you. Move on.
+1
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Didn't realize this was the forum of bank executives....

I have a Virgin America Barclay card that I do use very frequently. It is probably my 2nd most used card and I definitely had plans of using the Arrival card frequently. Barclay is very inconsistent, which is my major issue with them.
No we are not bank execs. We are just trying to bring you back to the real world. You yourself said that the CSR can approve your card with less limits. There itself goes your intentions as to why you want the card.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
What business?

With 90k over a 150k of credit line and 12 cards, there's just no business at all...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:32 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Question I Have To Ask This Question...

You seriously don't know WHY they declined or are you simply venting???
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:52 pm

I think he was just venting...I liked the title, it pretty much says it all....and anyone who has dealt with [...] barclaycard can appreciate it.

On the other hand you can see how you earn little pity with your plight...it happens to all app-o-rama styly churners soon than later...denied for too many app or too much credit outstanding. I even had to reduce my credit across the board with chase to get Ink bold last month...I already had 4 personal cards and 2 business and they felt I had too much credit with them. In order to get approved I had to agree to lower all personal cards to 5000 and business to 7500.....I could have got all huffy about it but I can see their point so I accepted the deal...it also allows me to know what chase is comfortable giving me and I can cancel cards before I apply for more and keep my credit level with them stable...like most here, I don't actaully need credit. I think banks only give it to people who don't need it.

I do agree with your title on Barclaycard, they are picky, their rules and procedures make no sense, their CSRs are bipolar, and their approval process must involve the old magic 8-ball...but I had the choice card (they canceled it for not charging something every 6 months), the NFL $400, and just recently the USAir card....I don't expect much from them and their cards are 3rd rate, but it beats having fewer banks to choose from....I keep them happy by only getting 1 or 2 cards a year with them and it seems to work.

Last edited by mia; Jul 2, 2013 at 4:30 am Reason: Remove offensive characterization
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:58 pm

You're an extremely unprofitable customer who already has two accounts with them. Why would they want your business?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:18 pm

Venting here. Just was denied for Barclays Arrival and Choice Privileges Cards. Both went to reconsideration. I spoke with their arrogant CSR and a supervisor. They decline based on fact I have applied for 12 cards in the past year. 2 of them are Barclays. I have a Barclay Virgin America and NFL card. In this same churn I was just approved for Chase Southwest Business...companion pass here I come...and SPG AMEX Biz. My other 2 apps were these Barclay cards. These are actually my first 2 denials ever. The supervisor states I have 150K in credit outstanding and they are worried I would max out. I told her to look at my utillization history. I don't come close to more than 5% in my monthly utilization spending. Plus I told her then approve me for a low limit if that is their worry. Actually they did that on my last Barclay card, I think it was $1500 limit. ha. I have a Chase card with $25k limit! I have a 740 plus credit score, own my home, I am 43, never been late on paying a card, pay in full every month, been in same job for 13 years and I make $90K plus per year. My wife was declined by these clowns last year as they wouldn't include our household income in their decision making process. It seems with them unless its an instant approval its a declination. I told the rep my credit history is identical to where it was when I was approved for my last Barclay card so I have no clue how they make their decisions? I'm done with them for at least 1 year.
First, if you don't get instant approval, it doesn't mean you don't have a shot. I applied for the arrival card and didn't get instant approval. I didn't bother to call them and they approval it after a few days.

Second, during the call the CSR and the supervisor gave you tons of information why they wouldn't approve you. Instead of feeling deflated, take a hard look at what they told you and position yourself to be the ideal client they are looking for. If you follow what the CSR told you, I am pretty sure you will be approved the next time you apply for another card from them. (hopefully, at least 3-6 months later)
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:08 am

I've gotten 11 Barclays CC's in the past 2.5 years, including 5 of them the USAIR card. Most recently applied and was instantly approved this week (Lufthansa 50k) .. How?

1. During an interim period, I bumped off all my TU inquires using Credit Smart (see this thread for more details). This alone has helped me get instant approvals for all but two applications. Well worth the $100 investment I'd say

2. I had to call in twice for recon. The first time they pulled EQ and EX (without asking), they approved me but I was pissed. Lesson learned .. I always keep EQ and EX frozen when doing a Barclays app. When I called reconsideration for the 2nd non-instant approved app, they were unable to pull EQ/EX .. I said I'm disputing some items on EQ/EX, please make a decision based on TU .. they did, I was approved.

I love Barclays !! If you are having trouble with this bank think about what YOU are doing wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.