Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Ugh...Barclays!!!!! [Problem Solving and/or Ranting Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ugh...Barclays!!!!! [Problem Solving and/or Ranting Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I had it with god-damned Barclays. Those .......s are just a bunch of farking .....es/.......s, that's impossible to do any business with them.

I have been denied twice in a row, even skipped them in my last AoR. Not enough activity on your card, too many credit cards recently opened. Maybe you should wait for 12mths(!?!) and not open any cards and reapply... up yours dude!!! They even record down your calls, so that the next person you spoke to knows what you talked about previously! Hanging up and calling back doesn't seem to work.

And those .......s won't even negotiate. I offered to cancel my existing card, but no they won't budge. Since my existing card has an AF, and I am not using it, I am canceling my one and only card with those SoB. Besides, I have another 20 tradelines in my report, so my AoA won't be affected.

Maybe us flyertalkers should just boycott them entirely! If you get a signup bonus, fine. But sock drawer it and don't use it for normal spending (if flyertalkers have normal spending at all).
Is this flyertalk or have I posted in the wrong forum? Last I checked flyertalk = churning CCs.
Your tears are delicious. The tears of unfathomable sadness.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I had it with god-damned Barclays. Those .......s are just a bunch of farking .....es/.......s, that's impossible to do any business with them.
......... A! Those ....... .......! Where the ..... do ........ ..... like those ....... ....... get ......... .... Jack....... like ...... should ........ .... their ....... ........

P.S. Did you mention that they recorded your calls?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by robertw477
The funny thing is everyone here is so excited about the Arrival card for the bonus points up front. The Priceline card also a 2% card is better once the free year is up. Barely anyone here know about that one. Also Barclays. Barclays is very strange about card approvals. For many people they will only get approved for one card. Overall their service is pretty poor also. Therefore I only use them for the good cards and promos.
Not if you value TripIt Pro and/or put a medium/high level of spending on the card.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:52 pm

I just got rejected for the Arrivals card as well. I was disappointed, but don't blame them at all. They are doing their job and trying to make money. Credit score isn't the only criteria they look at. Be happy for what you have already been able to get.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Mod hat on-
Let get rid of the "emotion" and stick to facts. Thanks.
Mod hat off-
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:52 pm

Barclays is such a crap bank...

Deep breaths . Oh I've been rejected for their arrivals card twice. Slightly disappointed as I had good credit and all, but whatever. You win some; you lose some. More spend on other cards. I wouldn't dwell too much on the denials and I've learned from before to not even bother with reconsideration with Barclays. Lesson learned.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:16 am

requesting advice about the no fee arrival card

I recently received the fee version, but realize that it will not be worth it to me
for additional years at 89.

I would at that point however want the no fee version and the choice will be whether to cancel the card and apply later (how much later??? this is the main question) and get 20000 points, worth 220 in travel to me, or to request a downgrade in the card and forego the additional points

I will have put perhaps 2500 dollars on the card in the first year. My track record with barclays is that of a churner, a couple of us airways cards, a recent
rejection on another us airways card.

The no fee arrival card will be a keeper for me -- I plan on getting out of the card and points obsession (but still want the last present). Unless barclays comes up with some new hotel or airline card I hope to be out .
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Sounds like Barclays has made the right decision on this one! Why on earth would anybody else boycott them because they won't give someone they apparently assess as high risk the freebies he wants?
Well said!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find Barclays (UK) to be less trusting of me than anyone else. Annoying but c'est la vie.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: Work in progress.
I had it with Barclays. Those .......s are just a bunch of idiots .....es/.......s, that's impossible to do any business with them.

I have been denied twice in a row, even skipped them in my last AoR. Not enough activity on your card, too many credit cards recently opened. Maybe you should wait for 12mths(!?!) and not open any cards and reapply... up yours dude!!! They even record down your calls, so that the next person you spoke to knows what you talked about previously! Hanging up and calling back doesn't seem to work.
[emphasis mine]

So...did you fix what they denied you for? Just wondering...

I got denied for the US Air card when I applied the first time, because I had previously applied for 4-5 other cards in the last two months. Got denied and no amount of calls would work. They told me what they told you. I worked at it.
Applied 6 months later. Still didn't get auto-approval.
Called recon and told the guy that I'd been denied before and I had worked on everything they'd told me work on, so what possible reason could they have for denying me again? It worked. Got approved.

The reasons you're criticizing them for are, in fact, the very reasons why they're good at that job. That's obviously bad for us, but that's very very good for them. Afterall, they're running a bank...not a free food stall.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I had it with Barclays. Those .......s are just a bunch of idiots .....es/.......s, that's impossible to do any business with them.

And those .......s won't even negotiate. I offered to cancel my existing card, but no they won't budge. Since my existing card has an AF, and I am not using it, I am canceling my one and only card with those SoB. Besides, I have another 20 tradelines in my report, so my AoA won't be affected.

Maybe us flyertalkers should just boycott them entirely! If you get a signup bonus, fine. But sock drawer it and don't use it for normal spending (if flyertalkers have normal spending at all).
Getting credit is like getting girls. The less you seem to care, the less you need them, the more offers and approvals you get. Don't get desperate or you will get nothing.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agp423
Getting credit is like getting girls. The less you seem to care, the less you need them, the more offers and approvals you get. Don't get desperate or you will get nothing.
Not to mention the generous but short-lived introductory period?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
If they're so bad why did you want there CC. Oh it's because they didn't give it to you because they are very strict that makes them bad? Listen to them if you want their cards. I've got 2 and my wife 1 and all were auto approved. I also have 31 CC's but I'll go 6 months with no apps and then do them 1st. You just have to learn the game, ignoring them won't help you.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I think Barclays would welcome all FTers to stop getting their cards for the minimum spends. Remember we are not the target customers, we are the cost of doing business
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: co AA ua
I was approved

I was approved for the arrival card yesterday.

I did not apply for a new credit in one year.

This is my first barclays card.

I see it as valuable at 2 points per dollar as well as the 10% bonus. You are getting more points which worth more Dollars. Their step down version is comparable to chase saphire preferred alas the fact that ultimate rewards mall has better points per dollar spent and the ability to transfer mileage to airlines and hotels program.

erez

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.