Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
I wont be App-O-Ram's for a bit since I just acquired two Barclays cards and I heard they sometimes close or perform CLD if they notice any new activity after opening a new account with them.

Last edited by philemer; Apr 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reason: removed quoted thread which has been redacted
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:02 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

A lot depends on where you want to go. Each of the hotel programs has its own forum, as do each and every transferrable card program (Amex, UR, etc). Of course, the airlines have forums, too.

There is a wealth of information here that will answer many questions if you take the time to do some research on your own, May I kindly suggest that you take a look and make a plan? When you have some more specific goals, you may find the FT community more helpful.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:17 am

I have a very diversified portfolio in points so I dont have to concentrate on a single plan. I'm just curious to know what special promotions are being run on credit cards that FTer might know about.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:19 am

The current special deals are almost always discussed on various threads on FT, as well as in blogs covering the FF scene.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UNited American
Hoping to do an ap-o-Rama soon. Flying out of MCI so mostly route thru ORD. Planning CDG in sept for professional conference. Conf mon thru fri noon but want to add on a bit of play time somewhere. Got a chase sapphire pref 12/23. 1/14 citi HH visa. Barclays frontier 1/11. (Free ticket to Denver, which we fly to frequently for family stuff). Then 2/21 got the Barclays Usair. And citi AA on 2/25. Upgraded amex to business gold for 75 k mr points.

So have 147k MR
AA 20k, waiting on 50 k to post from citi
United 6k
US air 35 k
Delta 13 k
HH 46k
Starwood 49k
Chase points 53 k

Looked at credit karma today. Says my score is 795. Report says date of 4/20 and that I have only had 1 credit inquiry( don't believe it). Seven weeks vac. National holidays off, so occ long weekends. Six figure income. House paid for so no mortgage showing. Also own a business (farm) in addition to regular job. Wondering how hard I can push things to get another round of cards so I can travel a bit more. Travel pretty much pleasure ( 2 prof meetings per year). Looking for advise on next cards to apply for and advise about how long I need to wait. Tomorrow is 65 days for citi second card. Thank you all for your opinions.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
See the Sticky on the MilesBuzz forum. It lists all the current good deals. Also check out a few of the Blogs. They have most of the best deals too. After some research come on back with specific questions.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:14 pm

Just wondering if others think I should wait the 65 days or apply now? I do have some big purchases coming up and I'd prefer them to go for a min. spend if possible.

This is a revised list after considering min. spends and vacation plans:

1) Barclays US Airways Mastercard - 40k after first purchase - $90 not waived
2) US Bank Club Carlson Visa - 85k after $2500 in 3 months - $75 not waived
3) Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa - 40k after $3k spend in 3 months - $95 waived
4) Chase United MP Explorer Visa - 30k after first purchase - $95 waived
5) Citi Platinum Select AA Visa - 30K after $1k in 3 months - $95 waived

Last edited by Tronic; Apr 20, 2013 at 9:47 pm
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP
YMMV, but in Jan I got 2 Citi cards, in Feb a Barclays, in March 2 Chase cards, an AMEX and a Barclays (denied for a second Barclays), and in April another Citi, a business Chase and a business AMEX. So it can definitely be done.
I could be called impatient if I ever waited around for that tag.
I agree with US Bank then Barclays first, call in and get approval for each card before pulling the trigger on the next, and plan to call recon for each card.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Tronic
Just wondering if others think I should wait the 65 days or apply now? I do have some big purchases coming up and I'd prefer them to go for a min. spend if possible.

This is a revised list after considering min. spends and vacation plans:

1) Barclays US Airways Mastercard - 40k after first purchase - $90 not waived
2) US Bank Club Carlson Visa - 85k after $2500 in 3 months - $75 not waived
3) Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa - 40k after $3k spend in 3 months - $95 waived
4) Chase United MP Explorer Visa - 30k after first purchase - $95 waived
5) Citi Platinum Select AA Visa - 30K after $1k in 3 months - $95 waived
A couple comments: since you're just trying to bank those USAir points, $89 is a lot to pay for those 5K extra points since you can get a card with 35K and no fee for a year. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html

As far as I know, the Chase 50-55K offer in #1654 of this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nt-credit.html still works. And this card is typically not churnable, so it's worth maximizing.

Also, if you can meet the extra 1500-2000 spend, you can get the AA Platinum Visa with 50K miles. Or you can get the MC gold with 30K points and only $750 spend, and give yourself a chance to get a better Platinum card down the road. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nks-first.html
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
A couple comments: since you're just trying to bank those USAir points, $89 is a lot to pay for those 5K extra points since you can get a card with 35K and no fee for a year. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html

As far as I know, the Chase 50-55K offer in #1654 of this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nt-credit.html still works. And this card is typically not churnable, so it's worth maximizing.

Also, if you can meet the extra 1500-2000 spend, you can get the AA Platinum Visa with 50K miles. Or you can get the MC gold with 30K points and only $750 spend, and give yourself a chance to get a better Platinum card down the road. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nks-first.html
Thanks, I'll have to look into those.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinKC
Wondering how hard I can push things to get another round of cards so I can travel a bit more.
You need to understand that Chase, AMEX and Citi will only allow so many cards from each company at one time.

This is why all the bloggers say, you need to have a plan when doing these app-o-rama's...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:40 am

I would do 2 x spg amex and 2x hyatt. That should work well.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:05 am

So....you think I should wait a while before doing anything else......I have one amex, two citi, two Barclays, one chase, a discover it( very old), a very old Capitol one and an old cabelas. Not having any trouble meeting spend ( college aged kids seem to always have something that needs to be paid for). Credit line they gave me totals over 100k. I went heavy on air and don't have much in the way of hotels so was trying to balance a bit. Just looking to plan from this point on and as I said earlier trying to see how fast I can get aligned better..... Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by StuckinKC
So....you think I should wait a while before doing anything else......I have one amex, two citi, two Barclays, one chase, a discover it( very old), a very old Capitol one and an old cabelas. Not having any trouble meeting spend ( college aged kids seem to always have something that needs to be paid for). Credit line they gave me totals over 100k. I went heavy on air and don't have much in the way of hotels so was trying to balance a bit. Just looking to plan from this point on and as I said earlier trying to see how fast I can get aligned better..... Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Is your credit score ok (capable of sustaining additional credit card apps)? and when did you apply for the cards you have?

Also when you say you "went heavy on air", based on the card issuers I assume you focused on American?

What, if any, hotel preferences do you have? Do you use certain hotels already if/when you travel?

These types of details will help FTers provide more targeted advice.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:40 am

See entry slightly before the one u just read...mci hard to get it and out of cheaply, usually go to ord to fly anywhere or den(family there). Score on credit karma showed 795 yest with a post date of 4/20. Dates for prior apps in other post but chase sap per 12/25//12, citi HH 1/14/13. Barclays us air 1/11. Barclays frontier 2/21 (used free ticket to den already) citi aa on 2/25. Plus upgraded amex for the 75k just after the first of the year. 146k in mr points, 20 k aa but waiting for 50k to post. 40-50 on both HH and spg. About 6 k on united. Had three spring flight and hit snow storms every time so all cancelled but had picked united as my choice. Flew to ist with kids for spring break on turkish air. Right after I bought the tickets they went to no mileage transfers to united on the cheap tickets. I own a farm so do have a business in addition to a regular everyday job. Six figure income from job, farm slightly more than break even. House paid off so not showing on my credit scores. Also have about 35 k on us air and 13 k on delta from a mission trip I did to Guatemala. I am going to Paris for a mtg sept 14 at marriott rive gauche. Prob won't stay there. Rate too high for what I want to pay if I am paying myself. Get reimbursed for conference but not hotel.....want to stop somewhere going or coming and have a few days to see the sites somewhere. Read about flyer talk in Wall Street journal around a year ago. Have been lurking. Joined late last year. Trying to get a bit of balance ..want to know if I can push any faster than 90 days for if I will screw myself trying. Also don' t have a feel for what is hard to get and what is easy as there are a lot of conflicting posts. I am inclined to want chase BA visa and after that don't really know. High school and college aged kids so I'm the only one who can apply for cards of any value ( or of any value in my opinion). Just looking for advise from someone with a better feel for this than I have, met all my spends easily so far. Last app 65 days ago by my calendar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.