FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

trikotret Jan 8, 2014 10:09 am

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

really. in their terms and conditions it says I won't earn points if it's for business purchase. I'm worried to rack up $400k points a year and lose them :(

KennyBSAT Jan 8, 2014 10:22 am

Originally Posted by trikotret (Post 22111175)
really. in their terms and conditions it says I won't earn points if it's for business purchase. I'm worried to rack up $400k points a year and lose them :(

Then use the points! I promise traveling is more fun than logging in and looking at balances of millions of points :D
The only danger would be if you tried or needed to dispute a charge against a supplier since business accounts have less protection and rights than consumer accounts.

sd1024 Jan 8, 2014 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 22110527)

FYI I called the reconsideration line at 866-408-4064 and was approved. In my case I had forgotten there was a fraud alert on my credit file and they wanted additional verification.

trikotret Jan 8, 2014 5:19 pm

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

do you have to login in Barclay site then go to boost rewards to get the bonus points or you can go directly to those sites if you which one gives the bonus

highops Jan 8, 2014 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret (Post 22114224)
do you have to login in Barclay site then go to boost rewards to get the bonus points or you can go directly to those sites if you which one gives the bonus

Login to Barclay Card first. Credit card malls use tracking cookies, not your credit card number to know whether to reward the bonus.

alvarez16 Jan 9, 2014 12:04 pm

Heads up for anybody that is "under review".

I applied for the US Airways card (also issued by Barclays) and the Arrival card yesterday. Got instantly approved for the US Air card but got an "under review, we will get back to you in 7-10 business days with a decision" for the Arrival card.

I called their reconsideration line this morning and the guy I spoke with told me that they couldn't approve me for both cards because I don't have a lot of credit card history (I'm in my early 20s so I've only had my current card for 3 years or so). I tried explaining why I wanted both cards (no foreign fee, US Air miles vs. using miles on any airline) but he didn't budge. Then I asked him to split the line of credit they issued me on the US Air card (10K) and he said no so I politely ended the call.

Decided to call again a few minutes after and got a female this time. She said, "I see you spoke with one of my colleagues earlier today, was he not able to answer all your questions". I told her no but didn't explain why. She then went on to tell me the same thing (I don't have a lot of history since I currently only hold 1 credit card). I offered to have the credit limit split and she was hesitant so she asked me why. I mentioned that I wanted both cards for the different benefits they offer (and explained them) and that I didn't understand why they cared if I had $10K credit in one line or $5k on two lines. Talked to her a bit longer and she approved me for both.

danspartan Jan 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Additional card for spouse

With yesterday's Delta/Amex/Sykylounge news, I'm shopping as I am due for Delta Reserve renewal in early April.

I am not travelling near as much as when I got the card (didnt even get the minimum spend for first MQM bonus DM to PM to GM in 14/15).

So looking for just a great rewards card that can go toward travel (moved away from young adult kids, so have been spending down 750K skymiles account on family related travel).

Right now we've been using a bank cash back card (1/2/3/4 on category) for everyday stuff and DR Amex for work and personal travel.

Interested in this Barclay's card, but it would be most beneficial if I can get two cards as my wife does 90% of the day to day spend. We should should be able to spend a total of $70-80K. Had been getting about $700 cash back plus whatever net on the DR card after accounting for the $450 fee. At 2.2% should be $1600 plus back which is likely a good net gain.

So does Barclays do joint accounts or issue a second card for no or low fee?

KennyBSAT Jan 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by danspartan (Post 22134278)

Interested in this Barclay's card, but it would be most beneficial if I can get two cards as my wife does 90% of the day to day spend. We should should be able to spend a total of $70-80K. Had been getting about $700 cash back plus whatever net on the DR card after accounting for the $450 fee. At 2.2% should be $1600 plus back which is likely a good net gain.

Each of you could apply and get a total of $800 signup bonus, or either of you could apply and then add the other as an authorized user. I do most of the spending on ours even though my wife is the primary account holder. There is no fee to add an authorized user.

I always add the AU after getting the initial card as it makes the application simpler. I'm not sure all the details, but joint accounts are generally a bad idea. We are stuck with one on a Chase card that ties up both of our available credit with Chase, and they won't let us move it like we could with individual accounts.

hightide Jan 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by danspartan (Post 22134278)

There are no fees to add authorized users.

danspartan Jan 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by hightide (Post 22134342)
There are no fees to add authorized users.

Gracias. They'll issue a second card in that case?

Alphatmldr Jan 13, 2014 10:56 pm

I had the Virgin America card that was transitioned to the arrival card. A few weeks later I canceled this card. I am wondering if I can apply for the Barclay Arrival card and still get all the sign up bonuses or will they treat it as already having an arrival card?

PumpkinSmasher Jan 14, 2014 10:00 am

I know it varies from user to user, but have a lot of people had success opening this card after having the us airways card? I opened the US Airways card in June of 2013. I only used it once as well. I want to apply for this card, but also for a second US Airways card in the future as well.

Zamboni Driver Jan 14, 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher (Post 22152502)
I know it varies from user to user, but have a lot of people had success opening this card after having the us airways card? I opened the US Airways card in June of 2013. I only used it once as well. I want to apply for this card, but also for a second US Airways card in the future as well.

I got the Arrivals card after already having two US Airways cards. The two US Air cards were active at the same time; I then canceled one of them, and got the Arrivals card approximately 4 months later. So it is definitely possible to have both cards at the same time.

Barclay's has reportedly gotten stingier with approving multiple US Air cards at the same time, so YMMV on that.

Zamboni Driver Jan 14, 2014 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Alphatmldr (Post 22149894)
I had the Virgin America card that was transitioned to the arrival card. A few weeks later I canceled this card. I am wondering if I can apply for the Barclay Arrival card and still get all the sign up bonuses or will they treat it as already having an arrival card?

More likely than not you will be ineligible for the bonus.

greggarious Jan 14, 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jashsayani (Post 19859606)
That's for the annual fee card. But still, 40K matches the Sapphire Preferred welcome offer. It would be worth accepting the offer and then downgrading after a year.

I plan on waiting for a month before applying as Barclays is getting started with this card, so they would change the welcome bonus and send out marketing blasts in the coming months...

Do you think the no fee will have a sign up bonus in a year? Isn't it better to sign up for the no fee close to when the fee version is hitting? Or can't you hold both at once? (I assume if you let one close, your points would zero out)

Edit: Do both versions have no foreign transaction fees?