FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

flyer4512 Feb 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22320702)
One +1 for Barclay though is the 10% points back when you redeem for travel so it's effectively a 2.2% cashback card vs the Venture which is just 2% if I am correct.

IMO the Venture card letting you redeem the same travel expense over and over makes it a much better card

flyer4512 Feb 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by nolimit186 (Post 22322086)
Wow, can't believe I got denied. Spoke to reconsideration line and denied me again. As previous posters have said, looks like if you've applied to many CC's in the past and dont have a history with Barclays that you may get denied.

Datapoint, here's the questions they asked me:

"Why do you wan't the Arrival card?"

"Why have you applied to alot of credit cards in the past 2 years"

"Why have you not used the US Airways card much since you got"

"Why is there a 'high' balance on a Chase credit card?"

Last one is because I took advantage of a nice balance transfer offer. Anyway, CSR said once I start using their US Airways card more often and develop a history with Barclays that I'd be able to get the card.

Wife applied and got instantly approved. She doesnt have alot of credit cards but she does have the US Airways card that she hasnt used in a while.

I just got my 5th Barclay card in the past 18 months and never charged more than $5 to get the bonus on any of their cards thus far.

I am charging $1000 on the Arrival Thursday to make the spend but I got that card ~6 weeks ago and they approved me for Wyndham 5 days ago

LoneTree Feb 11, 2014 2:07 am

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

I've been fighting Barclay for a few weeks on several sub $25 charges (hotel charged per night, every night) that added up to a few hundred dollars. They finally yielded and granted me the full credit.

If they hadn't I may have just needed to take a fully refundable Southwest flight...

cdancer20 Feb 11, 2014 6:58 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 22325038)
IMO the Venture card letting you redeem the same travel expense over and over makes it a much better card

Depends on your usage. I travel a lot and use this card a lot so far I am not at a loss for things to redeem against. Therefore in my case the 10% is much better.

Adelphos Feb 11, 2014 7:05 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22327651)
Depends on your usage. I travel a lot and use this card a lot so far I am not at a loss for things to redeem against. Therefore in my case the 10% is much better.

For those that actually use the card a lot and travel a lot, the Arrival is a better card. That said the Venture is a great card to sign up for depending on the sign-up bonus as well.

Amex has had a card in this space, Blue Sky Preferred, but the card is weak compared to the Venture and Arrival. I would hope Amex would beef up that card (along with introducing a new MR earning card).

cowboyguy Feb 11, 2014 9:14 am

Excuse my ignore but why is everyone giving so much importance to this card? Everywhere I see people are applying for this card. Blogs are suggesting to get it (maybe they get a good commission on this). But even on FT a lot of people are seeking and suggesting this card.

What is so good about it? Isn't Amex Blue and Wells Fargo better than this? Ok I understand WF gives sh***y limits and it has a 6 months period but still there are other cards. Everyone agrees UR points are worth at least 2 cents so why not try focusing on UR cards like Ink, CSP, Freedom etc.

LoneTree Feb 11, 2014 9:37 am

Originally Posted by cowboyguy (Post 22328445)
Excuse my ignore but why is everyone giving so much importance to this card? Everywhere I see people are applying for this card. Blogs are suggesting to get it (maybe they get a good commission on this). But even on FT a lot of people are seeking and suggesting this card.

What is so good about it? Isn't Amex Blue and Wells Fargo better than this? Ok I understand WF gives sh***y limits and it has a 6 months period but still there are other cards. Everyone agrees UR points are worth at least 2 cents so why not try focusing on UR cards like Ink, CSP, Freedom etc.

I can use this to pay for rail and non-chain lodgings. (Which I prefer overseas.)

Though I agree this is over hyped. Capital One is only slightly less and can be used for more things and amounts less than $25.

cdancer20 Feb 11, 2014 9:39 am

For 1, the sign up bonus alone is worth getting this card, even if you cancel in a year and before the annual fee hits. I'm still new to UR points so I can't comment too much on it but from my experience there are only so many things that they are worth 2 cents each (or less), i.e. certain airlines/flights or hotels/rooms. This card is 2.2 cents to every travel purchase. It's not restricted so good for a backup on those things. I'm sure that other people though can give better explanations.

I went back and forth with the getting a CSP but in the end chose this one b/c I didn't want to be limited to only receiving the guaranteed 2% on travel.

ashap Feb 11, 2014 9:50 am

If you don't see value in the Arrival for your travel needs, then don't get it.

Personally, I have the AmEx BC which is great, but this card will end up paying for a cruise a lot faster than the BC will.

Adelphos Feb 11, 2014 10:33 am

A lot of people incur travel expenses that can't be paid via airline or hotel miles. For those expenses, Arrival is a strong card. Pretty simple.

itchyfeet123 Feb 11, 2014 10:34 am

Plus there aren't category limitations with this card, unlike the UR cards. For those who don't MS, there are double points on all spend. For those who do MS, the door is open to some pretty lucrative deals, eg 4x+2x on AMEX gift cards.

duranza Feb 11, 2014 12:03 pm

My 2 travel insurance purchases did not get travel rewards like the hotel stay did.

ashap Feb 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Just cleared a fraud alert on this card. It's about a week old and I've done 4k in AmEx GC's so I thought that was the reason, but nope! Turns out the IP address I applied from (work) is identified as a fraudulent account application known IP address.

Whether or not that's true who knows, but he didn't seem to care about my AmEx cards, just where I applied from.

Cleared up quickly with a few quick questions and he sent me on my merry spending way. :)

flyer4512 Feb 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22327651)

If you can use every point for travel expenses the Arrival may be better.

Personally I liked charging whatever I want and using points to pay. As long as you have a current charge the Venture lets you do that.

This way I can also get more points using my SPG card at a Sheraton, etc, etc.

Plus when I got the Venture it was a 100K mile sign up bonus....that was nice

arizonawildcat Feb 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Anyone figure a way to redeem the points to purchase Disney World tickets? I was originally planning at staying at the Swan and Dolphin using SPG points and then charging theme park tickets to my room. Now, we are staying at a condo so that option is out. I have points from both the Barlclay Arrival card as well as the Capital One Venture. I also talked to the Hilton LBV and the Swan ticket kiosk and they both said they would not code as travel and instead as a ticket purchase/entertainment.

Any bright ideas?