FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

flyer4512 Jan 5, 2014 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 22088550)
has anybody recently applied for the 50000 bonus card with a high spending threshold? I found this on romsdeals.com
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...&cellNumber=30

I'd prefer this over the 40k offer.

Spend $19,000 extra for 10,000 bonus points ?

That alone would make me take the 40K points for $1000 spend but don't forget unless you make that spend and redeem the points within a year you will have to pay the $89 annual fee.

If that works for you great

mintcilantro Jan 5, 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 22090255)
Spend $19,000 extra for 10,000 bonus points ?

That alone would make me take the 40K points for $1000 spend but don't forget unless you make that spend and redeem the points within a year you will have to pay the $89 annual fee.

those of us who use this card for MS, it's not that big of a deal.. 20k MS would get you close to 90k points.. close to $1k. I would spend less than $160 on the MS fees.

KennyBSAT Jan 5, 2014 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 22090292)
those of us who use this card for MS, it's not that big of a deal.. 20k MS would get you close to 90k points.. close to $1k. I would spend less than $160 on the MS fees.

Not to mention the fact that you can stack other discounts on top of purchases covered with Arrival points, take advantage of deep discounts, and/or go exactly where and when you want, rather than being stuck in a couple of the same old programs.

The 50K offer is clearly not for everyone, but if you plan to MS on the card anyway, why not take the extra points?

flyer4512 Jan 5, 2014 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT (Post 22090489)

The 50K offer is clearly not for everyone, but if you plan to MS on the card anyway, why not take the extra points?

I suppose if you can't get approved for other cards or are out of cards that will give you a bonus.

If not why not move the MS to another bonus ?

Is the arrival card that good that you can't do a 19K manufactured spend across several cards and make out better or do you guys MS so much it doesn't matter

KennyBSAT Jan 5, 2014 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 22090508)
I suppose if you can't get approved for other cards or are out of cards that will give you a bonus.

If not why not move the MS to another bonus ?

Because I can do both :D

VGC + MO with Arrival results in a ~50% discount on paid travel with no real limit. VR results in ~60% off. Plus topcashback refunds.

flyer4512 Jan 5, 2014 3:36 pm

Maybe I should look into this manufactured spend bit

is it unlimited ?

IF so I could rack up some crazy points

KennyBSAT Jan 5, 2014 3:47 pm

In the real world, MS becomes more work than it's worth at some point.

The good thing is that point way more than covers every signup bonus you could qualify for.

flyer4512 Jan 5, 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT (Post 22090634)
In the real world, MS becomes more work than it's worth at some point.

Good reason to grab the 40k for spending $1000, lol

From reading above I thought $20K was easy

silver6054 Jan 5, 2014 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 22090659)
Good reason to grab the 40k for spending $1000, lol

From reading above I thought $20K was easy

Well, $20K is easy (four trips to CVS for example) if the issuer doesn't have problems. But I agree, I would rather move the spend to other cards to get bonuses, especially as the Arrival is only a 2(.2) times card

flyer4512 Jan 5, 2014 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 22090746)
Well, $20K is easy (four trips to CVS for example) if the issuer doesn't have problems. But I agree, I would rather move the spend to other cards to get bonuses, especially as the Arrival is only a 2(.2) times card

You can walk into CVS and buy $5K work of reloadable cards ?

Seems the merchant would be a bit wary the card is stolen and ask for ID and maybe even a kidney, lol

LoneTree Jan 5, 2014 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 22090761)
You can walk into CVS and buy $5K work of reloadable cards ?

Seems the merchant would be a bit wary the card is stolen and ask for ID and maybe even a kidney, lol

Yes. You should head to the MS forum. :)

flyer4512 Jan 5, 2014 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22090786)
Yes. You should head to the MS forum. :)

I'm all set, I get all the bonuses I need simply churning.

mintcilantro Jan 5, 2014 4:56 pm

This card has an important place in my travel strategy. I keep this card along with other miles earning cards.

Even when you have miles, you have to pay some pesky fees: award taxes, resort fees. This card helps you get those costs in control

Once in a while you need a revenue flight to complete your trip. Sometimes there are good fare sales as well. This card is perfect for that.

Sign ups are awesome but you need a good quantiyt of miles to get most of that. e.g. you got 50k us air miles from the sign up, that doesn't really get you anywhere. But if you want to do a nice trip you can buy the miles in their share miles promo (once in a while). The cash from this bonus comes in handy then.

I don't currently ahve a credit history that can handle 4 cards every 3 months. I will probably get there in a few years. Till then I will have to make do with MS :)

KennyBSAT Jan 5, 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 22091041)
This card has an important place in my travel strategy. I keep this card along with other miles earning cards.

Even when you have miles, you have to pay some pesky fees: award taxes, resort fees. This card helps you get those costs in control

Once in a while you need a revenue flight to complete your trip. Sometimes there are good fare sales as well. This card is perfect for that.

+1. On our trips to Yellowstone and Alaska with the family this coming summer (peak times, expensive rooms and few/no workable chain hotels), Arrival points or possibly Capital One are the only way I can reduce the costs.

MDtR-Chicago Jan 5, 2014 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree (Post 22089431)
$20k in spend for an extra $110 equivalent? Doesn't seem worth it.

$20k spending for $330, right? 20k points from spending plus 10k bonus.