FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

greggarious Jan 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Also how does redeeming travel work... do I have to go through their portal? I can't use Kayak? Would it be possible to pay for a flight w/ United miles then pay the taxes w/ my Barclay points?

KennyBSAT Jan 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious (Post 22153411)
Also how does redeeming travel work... do I have to go through their portal? I can't use Kayak? Would it be possible to pay for a flight w/ United miles then pay the taxes w/ my Barclay points?

You pay for absolutely anything from a provider coded as 'Travel' by Visa, including hotels, airlines (yes, even if it's just fees or taxes), Kayak and other OTAs with the card, and after the statement posts you redeem points for a statement credit to cover the charge either in increments of $25 or for the full amount rounded up to the next dollar. In other words, if you had $38.72 in United fees, you could redeem either 2500 points for a $25 credit or 3900 points for a $38.72 credit.

Feel free to use various cashback or points portal links to get to the actual provider for additional points or discounts.

wowpaw24 Jan 15, 2014 12:36 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT (Post 22153595)
You pay for absolutely anything from a provider coded as 'Travel' by Visa, including hotels, airlines (yes, even if it's just fees or taxes), Kayak and other OTAs with the card, and after the statement posts you redeem points for a statement credit to cover the charge either in increments of $25 or for the full amount rounded up to the next dollar. In other words, if you had $38.72 in United fees, you could redeem either 2500 points for a $25 credit or 3900 points for a $38.72 credit.

Feel free to use various cashback or points portal links to get to the actual provider for additional points or discounts.

I assume the increment path would be if you didn't have enough points to cover the full amount??

KennyBSAT Jan 15, 2014 5:18 am

Originally Posted by wowpaw24 (Post 22157257)
I assume the increment path would be if you didn't have enough points to cover the full amount??

You can do either regardless of how many points you have.

josephstern Jan 15, 2014 7:42 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT (Post 22158047)
You can do either regardless of how many points you have.

But you can't do a partial, and then come back and do the rest later. You only get one shot at each charge.

TravelPhotographer Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

found chink in Barclaycard super scrupulous sign-up strictness

Been cc churning ~3 yrs;
$20K quarterly tax payments & $1K/mo spend
all by cc's so am signing up ~16 cc's/yr for
the bonus triggers;

Barclaycard, specifically Frontier, was my
first "offer-to-move-credit-around" rejection
ever -- already had Arrival & had just gotten
Miles & More -- reasons for rejection included
already enough credit limit, no first payment yet
on new M&M cc, & credit report (791) indicated I
had 6 recent cc sign-ups; calling reconsid-line
& offering to transfer cred limit didn't work; so
when first M&M statement arrived, I paid in full
as usual, then called reconsid-line again, rep
asked, "Why have you signed up for 6 cards in
short time?" Answer: I need business AND
personal cc's and my work requires travel
so I am always seeking bonus points & miles -- IT WORKED! ^^^

Summary: if you are forced to explain cc churning,
if you can, state that your work requires travel &
you are always trying to lower business overhead
via as many miles & points bonuses as possible--
IMC, a truthful, & by one Barclaycard rep's response,
acceptable explanation! :D:D:D

medellinfein Jan 16, 2014 2:24 am

Originally Posted by alvarez16 (Post 22119403)
Heads up for anybody that is "under review".

I applied for the US Airways card (also issued by Barclays) and the Arrival card yesterday. Got instantly approved for the US Air card but got an "under review, we will get back to you in 7-10 business days with a decision" for the Arrival card.

I called their reconsideration line this morning and the guy I spoke with told me that they couldn't approve me for both cards because I don't have a lot of credit card history (I'm in my early 20s so I've only had my current card for 3 years or so). I tried explaining why I wanted both cards (no foreign fee, US Air miles vs. using miles on any airline) but he didn't budge. Then I asked him to split the line of credit they issued me on the US Air card (10K) and he said no so I politely ended the call.

Decided to call again a few minutes after and got a female this time. She said, "I see you spoke with one of my colleagues earlier today, was he not able to answer all your questions". I told her no but didn't explain why. She then went on to tell me the same thing (I don't have a lot of history since I currently only hold 1 credit card). I offered to have the credit limit split and she was hesitant so she asked me why. I mentioned that I wanted both cards for the different benefits they offer (and explained them) and that I didn't understand why they cared if I had $10K credit in one line or $5k on two lines. Talked to her a bit longer and she approved me for both.

Thanks for the data point :-)

MrTemporal Jan 16, 2014 10:45 am

I notice the fee is $89 a year but waved for the first year.

So, can I get the card, use the 40,000 miles to get a cheap ticket, and say cancel the card a month before the fee is due? Do they try and get the miles back or charge me for them?

405#Club Jan 16, 2014 11:53 am

Originally Posted by pdbphoto (Post 22166835)

So, can I get the card, use the 40,000 miles to get a cheap ticket, and say cancel the card a month before the fee is due? Do they try and get the miles back or charge me for them?

I don't see why they would charge you for the miles they gave you for spending $1,000 in 3 months. Now, if you were to cancel your card before 11 months, I could see them trying to go after you for some breach of contract. I have the card and plan to downgrade it to the "no fee" version to keep the new relationship with Barclay's good and keep the CL.

pricesquire Jan 16, 2014 2:29 pm

I'll post this here and in the USAirways card forum as well. Data point: hit a brick wall with Barclay's. Credit score me: 764. Wife: 760. She holds 2 USAir cards, I hold 1.

They will not give me another Barclay card. Applied for USAir card April 2013. Applied again in October, no dice. Applied again December, no dice. January I tried for Arrival, no dice.

My wife was more successful (2 USAir cards). She applied for Arrival yesterday, went into pending, called recon today. First two questions/statements out of the gate: (a) it looks like rewards are your number one concern, is this true? (b) you seem to have applied for a lot of recent credit lately, and you hardly use our cards as is.

So, either they're "onto" myself and the wife, or their CSRs (anecdotal, I know) are becoming more in-the-know.

mintcilantro Jan 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 22168151)
I'll post this here and in the USAirways card forum as well. Data point: hit a brick wall with Barclay's. Credit score me: 764. Wife: 760. She holds 2 USAir cards, I hold 1.

They will not give me another Barclay card. Applied for USAir card April 2013. Applied again in October, no dice. Applied again December, no dice. January I tried for Arrival, no dice.

My wife was more successful (2 USAir cards). She applied for Arrival yesterday, went into pending, called recon today. First two questions/statements out of the gate: (a) it looks like rewards are your number one concern, is this true? (b) you seem to have applied for a lot of recent credit lately, and you hardly use our cards as is.

So, either they're "onto" myself and the wife, or their CSRs (anecdotal, I know) are becoming more in-the-know.

I currently have 4 barclays cards (usx2, travelocity, arrival).

IME, barclays will give you more cards if you put spending on their cards. It is actually benefitial to have a card with with low limits. I put more spend than the limit a couple of months (of course, paid it off before statemetn closing).

On my recon call for the travelocity card, the rep mentioned the spending I was putting on us air cards and going over the limit. I believe they think you don't need more credit if you are not using your existing limits.

josephstern Jan 16, 2014 3:33 pm

Just verified on the phone, hard pull for a CL upgrade. Seems reasonable, but since it's my wife's card, I might just 'extend' the CL by applying for a card for me. If we're collectively going to take the hit to our credit reports, we might as well get the $440.

arizonawildcat Jan 16, 2014 3:59 pm

So it seems like airbnb posts as Travel, but vrbo and homeaway do not. Is that correct? We are looking to book a condo soon for Spring Break and I was hoping to be able to use my points from this new card to offset the stay.

If I have this correct up top and airbnb is the only one of the three to post as travel...anyone know of other vacation rental property sites that also code as travel when they hit your statement? Thanks!

flyer4512 Jan 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by pdbphoto (Post 22166835)

NO, you are all set. I cancel every card I get at the ~ 9 month mark if it has an AF. The exception is USAIR which I cancel after the 10k bonus posts and before the AF.

I have never had an issue with miles, points , etc being taken back.

Originally Posted by 405#Club (Post 22167180)
I don't see why they would charge you for the miles they gave you for spending $1,000 in 3 months. Now, if you were to cancel your card before 11 months, I could see them trying to go after you for some breach of contract. I have the card and plan to downgrade it to the "no fee" version to keep the new relationship with Barclay's good and keep the CL.

Why downgrade ? Cancel the card then get the no annual fee version and the ( current) 20k bonus.

wowpaw24 Jan 17, 2014 12:01 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 22168554)
Just verified on the phone, hard pull for a CL upgrade. Seems reasonable, but since it's my wife's card, I might just 'extend' the CL by applying for a card for me. If we're collectively going to take the hit to our credit reports, we might as well get the $440.

I think all financial institutions do a hardpull for a CL increase don't they?

Just got approved for mine, no problem. First barclays card. Put "No" down for the express shipping (30 bucks!) then called and asked if they could expedite the card, they offered the 30 dollars express, I said no, they said ok its free.:)