FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1415338-barclays-arrival-arrival-cards-1-1-2-2-travel-credits.html)

ddallas Dec 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 22037507)
Haven't seen these mentioned much in the thread...

Cardholder gets a one-year membership to TripIt Pro, which renews as the card renews. This is a service that lets you aggregate your travel confirmations to build complete itineraries for trips, and then monitors for flights changes, etc.

The Pro version automatically monitors for flight price drops, so you can rebook for a partial refund. Can be a $ saver if the price drops enough to offset the change fee.

I already had a TripIt Pro membership when I applied for the Arrival card. After I was approved for the card I got a refund for my TripIT pro membership (like $45) and applied the Barclays membership. If I remember right I had to call and get a code from Barclay's to give to TripIt to get the refund. I like TripIt pro and find it valuable with all the alerts. You can set up your flights, hotels, etc all on one app on your smartphone.

wowpaw24 Dec 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Just want to clarify (read several pages of the thread already):
I can use this card to buy whatever, lets say travel related stuff (and say I hit the $1000 threshold), and charge it like any other credit card.
I will then get 40,000 which I can redeem towards that travel related purchase and get 10% back in points or does that 10% go directly to the purchase and I would redeem less points?
Is this essentially 40,000 in statement credit (+10% if used against travel?)?

jeremywight Dec 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Just a heads up. I applied for this for myself and my wife, I got approved for the World, my wife the Platinum. The bonus was the same, but the features are not. I used my wifes to book a Rental Car and then called after I got hassled by the rental agency saying "If you get in an accident, we won't deal with CC's" so I called just to be sure. The Platinum doesn't come with the additional Rental Coverage, however they sent me to MC and MC does, but just FYI its not a benefit of the lower tier card

tomcanada22 Dec 27, 2013 11:23 pm

I know the USAir card is somewhat churn able from what I read it's about 6+ months between apps.

Does anyone know if the Arrival card is also churnable and if so, is it also about 6+ mths between Arrival apps?:confused:,

skibum7732 Dec 28, 2013 2:10 am

Originally Posted by wowpaw24 (Post 22038327)
Just want to clarify (read several pages of the thread already):
I can use this card to buy whatever, lets say travel related stuff (and say I hit the $1000 threshold), and charge it like any other credit card.
I will then get 40,000 which I can redeem towards that travel related purchase and get 10% back in points or does that 10% go directly to the purchase and I would redeem less points?
Is this essentially 40,000 in statement credit (+10% if used against travel?)?

You will redeem 40k and have 4k put back into your acct., which is essentially redeeming 36k depending how you look at it I guess. You would have to have 40k in acct. for the redemption though

moretimeoffguy Dec 28, 2013 5:12 am

Originally Posted by tomcanada22 (Post 22038805)
I know the USAir card is somewhat churn able from what I read it's about 6+ months between apps.

Does anyone know if the Arrival card is also churnable and if so, is it also about 6+ mths between Arrival apps?:confused:,

Also wondering about churnability. Not as much for the Arrival since it will likely be around for quite some time. But the UA card since it will disappear sooner as a product as the UA/AA merger progresses. I'm 9 months into having the UA card. Anyone have a semi-recent data point for re-applying while already having a UA card open, as well as an Arrival open? Would closing the UA card first improve one's chances? I thing I'm fairly confident of--calls to their reconsideration line aren't as productive as calls to other providers like Chase.

I suspect churning is over with Barclays unless we're talking about a period of 2 years after app or cancellation (2 years after cancellation before re-applying for the same CC product seems to work for me).

jeremywight Dec 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22039538)
Also wondering about churnability. Not as much for the Arrival since it will likely be around for quite some time. But the UA card since it will disappear sooner as a product as the UA/AA merger progresses. I'm 9 months into having the UA card. Anyone have a semi-recent data point for re-applying while already having a UA card open, as well as an Arrival open? Would closing the UA card first improve one's chances? I thing I'm fairly confident of--calls to their reconsideration line aren't as productive as calls to other providers like Chase.

I suspect churning is over with Barclays unless we're talking about a period of 2 years after app or cancellation (2 years after cancellation before re-applying for the same CC product seems to work for me).

You keep referencing UA, but I think you mean the USAir card correct? If so, others have said that you used to be able to re-apply for the US card while still holding it after 3+ months, but recently you have had to cancel it prior to re-applying. I cancelled mine which I had had for just under a year and two weeks later applied in my regular churn, however I was turned down due to to many recent inquiries. So I can't say for sure, but they made no mention of my having had the card previously.

If you actually are referring to the Chase UA MileagePlus Explorer card you need to clarify the question

flyer4512 Dec 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by jeremywight (Post 22038754)
I used my wifes to book a Rental Car and then called after I got hassled by the rental agency saying "If you get in an accident, we won't deal with CC's" so I called just to be sure. The Platinum doesn't come with the additional Rental Coverage, however they sent me to MC and MC does, but just FYI its not a benefit of the lower tier card

IMO the best rental coverage is through Amex, $25 per rental for 100K of coverage and they become the PRIMARY insurance with no deductible.

This being a forum on how to get freebies some have figured out how to return the car undamaged and get the fee "waived" but I just let it post as it's well worth it

tomcanada22 Dec 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22039538)

Barclay May change their rules in the near future but right now the US Air card is still churnable as I've just re read about 10+ pages back on the Barclay US Air thread. Most seem to have no problems having one card open and applying for another US Air card, but more success if apps are at least 6 mts apart but even this varies so depends. In your case it's been 9 mths already, I'll go for it before they pull the card. Best to go to the US Air thread and see for yourselves.

Tom

moretimeoffguy Dec 28, 2013 1:17 pm

@Jermey, correct, my goof, sorry. I did mean Barclay's US Airways CC product. Not Chase's United one--although I've receive the sign-up bonus more than once on the United CC by waiting for ~2 years to re-apply after canceling.

Thanks for adding your data point. That squares with my experience--Barclay's being very sensitive about too many inquiries in the last 12 months.

@Tom, thanks. Been 9 months since US Airways app but only a few months since last Barclay's app (the Arrival). I'll try to wait 6 months from my Arrival app to try for another US Airways CC--hope that's not too late.

Originally Posted by jeremywight (Post 22041148)
You keep referencing UA, but I think you mean the USAir card correct? If so, others have said that you used to be able to re-apply for the US card while still holding it after 3+ months, but recently you have had to cancel it prior to re-applying. I cancelled mine which I had had for just under a year and two weeks later applied in my regular churn, however I was turned down due to to many recent inquiries. So I can't say for sure, but they made no mention of my having had the card previously.

If you actually are referring to the Chase UA MileagePlus Explorer card you need to clarify the question

tomcanada22 Dec 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22041363)
@Jermey, correct, my goof, sorry. I did mean Barclay's US Airways CC product. Not Chase's United one--although I've receive the sign-up bonus more than once on the United CC by waiting for ~2 years to re-apply after canceling.

Thanks for adding your data point. That squares with my experience--Barclay's being very sensitive about too many inquiries in the last 12 months.

@Tom, thanks. Been 9 months since US Airways app but only a few months since last Barclay's app (the Arrival). I'll try to wait 6 months from my Arrival app to try for another US Airways CC--hope that's not too late.

Hi, what I meant with the 6 mth rule was for applying for the SAME card. Applying for 2 different cards with Barclay seems to have different wait times. From reading back, some poster have success with getting US Air and Arrival after 6 weeks or say 2 mths apart. Only constant seem to be could be denied if already having too much credit with them already which is why some suggest cancel a card before reapplying. As always with Barclay it's often YMMV.

jeremywight Dec 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by tomcanada22 (Post 22041398)
Hi, what I meant with the 6 mth rule was for applying for the SAME card. Applying for 2 different cards with Barclay seems to have different wait times. From reading back, some poster have success with getting US Air and Arrival after 6 weeks or say 2 mths apart. Only constant seem to be could be denied if already having too much credit with them already which is why some suggest cancel a card before reapplying. As always with Barclay it's often YMMV.

Interesting. If I can churn the Arrival card after 6mo I'm going to be pretty stoked! $420 in general travel expenses every 6mo can go quite a long ways, when paired with my other miles

wowpaw24 Dec 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732 (Post 22039152)
You will redeem 40k and have 4k put back into your acct., which is essentially redeeming 36k depending how you look at it I guess. You would have to have 40k in acct. for the redemption though

Thank you

tomcanada22 Dec 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by jeremywight (Post 22041529)
Interesting. If I can churn the Arrival card after 6mo I'm going to be pretty stoked! $420 in general travel expenses every 6mo can go quite a long ways, when paired with my other miles

Which goes back to my original question just a few post above. I know the USAir is churnable but I'm not sure if Barclay Arrival card is also churnable to the same extent or if churnable at all. Still need more data on that.

trikotret Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

I just read through terms and conditions of card. it said you can't earn miles for business expense. anyone have experience with this? I really plan on using it for business and personal use to take advantage of the 2X miles per dollar.