Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline Visa - 2% cashback everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Isn't this card about to be discontinued?
Where did you hear that?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Cons:
-you can not redeem for a smaller credit towards a larger purchase. i.e. if you have a $200 purchase and 10,000 points, you cannot redeem those 10,000 points towards that purchase; you can only redeem those points against a purchase of $100 or less. Honestly, if one plans to use this card quite a lot, then this is a non-issue, assuming you'd have multiple purchases over $25 in varying amounts with which to apply your points.

This is not my experience. I have the NFL card, which is set up the exact same way. Recently, I applied a $25 credit (2500 points) towards a $525 charge without any problem at all. It did take almost a week after the request for Barclays to process it, but it went through fine.

The processing time is the biggest pain regarding the redemption.

The Priceline card with 2% back had been around for a while.

Last edited by jeanie; Jun 10, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:24 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Moderator action

Originally Posted by wcj
Im not sure why this is manufactured spend? But the card thread is here
pyrotalk's question has been merged into the established thread identified by wcj.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Not actually having the card, but having done quite a bit of checking into it yesterday, I'd sum the redemption pros and cons as follows:

Pros:
-minimum redemption is 2500 points or $25
-can redeem for any amount; do not have to be exact multiples of $25
-can redeem towards ANY purchase, not just purchases in certain categories
-redemption becomes more than a 2% rebate when redeemed towards Name Your Own Price transactions at priceline
-redemptions applied as statement credits - no need to fuss with giftcards or have an account at a certain bank/brokerage

Cons:
-you can not redeem for a smaller credit towards a larger purchase. i.e. if you have a $200 purchase and 10,000 points, you cannot redeem those 10,000 points towards that purchase; you can only redeem those points against a purchase of $100 or less.
Honestly, if one plans to use this card quite a lot, then this is a non-issue, assuming you'd have multiple purchases over $25 in varying amounts with which to apply your points.
-points and card subject to cancellation if inactive for 6 months
-points expire after 4 years.

Therefore, from the sounds of things (having no personal use using this card), I think it is actually quite simple, and probably the best straight up 2% card available (from my review) for someone who plans to use the card regularly.

If the thought of finding purchases in the right amount to redeem your points is cumbersome...one strategy might be to use it to pay an online bill, where one has the flexibility to change the amount of the payment. This way you could change the amount paid to the exact amount of the points you wanted to redeem, and then make multiple payments, if necessary.
Originally Posted by onthego15
It is a bit more complicated.
1- First, understand that you get 2 points per dollar spent and that each point is worth .01
2- You can't redeem your points for cash back until you have 2500 points or more.
3- You do NOT get a simple statement credit.
4- You have to redeem your points towards a specific purchase which is both $25.00 or more and which is less than the number of points you have. Since this is the part that is a bit confusing, let me give an example from my last statement:
I had 5918 points (which equals $59.18 cash back). So, I had enough to make a redemption. My ideal would have been to find a purchase I had made for $59.18. Purchases I had made for over $59.18 were not eligible. I had made a purchase for $57.67, so I redeemed my points for cash back against that purchase. The $57.67 is credited toward my next statement, and I had 151 points (= to $1.51) left over. The leftover points do rollover to the next month.

So, it's not as simple as getting a straight statement credit.

I do not know if I would have been able to redeem against two purchases. For example, if I had a $25.00 purchase and a $34.00 purchase, could I have redeemed my points and gotten credit for both? There is a thread on fatwallet about this card. I may need to ask this question over there:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1125529/

On the other hand, they are prompt. My 5000 bonus points from my initial use of the card and the 918 points from my purchases posted the day after my statement closed.

All in all I am satisfied with this card, and it now my #2 card with the AMEX Blue Cash being # 1 as I get 6% cash back on so many purchases with it.
Originally Posted by jeanie
This is not my experience. I have the NFL card, which is set up the exact same way. Recently, I applied a $25 credit (2500 points) towards a $525 charge without any problem at all. It did take almost a week after the request for Barclays to process it, but it went through fine.

The processing time is the biggest pain regarding the redemption.

The Priceline card with 2% back has been around for a while.
Sorry, but your experiences with the NFL card's reward redemption are NOT applicable to the Priceline card. The first two posters I quoted are both 100% correct, for the Priceline card.
Old May 28, 2014, 3:42 pm

I get 5% points back on name your own price offers. I can also use a redemption bonus to get my priceline purchases for "free" and it's better than the 2%. I haven't figure out yet how this bonus mutliplier works, but I hope it does not nullify the 5% bonus I am already enjoying. If I am allowed to "double dip" - as in, get 5% credit in the form of points, on a purchase that cost me nothing but points, then great, however if there is a multiplier and I'm losing my 5% cash back well then, it's sort of a wash almost.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Just got an email from Barclays about my Priceline card. Sounds like Arrival+ with the specialized Priceline bonus and without the annual fee...?

These new benefits will be added to your rewards program soon:
• Get 10% of your points back when you redeem for statement credits on purchases at priceline.com and on other travel purchases
• No foreign transaction fees
• Redeem points for statement credits against any purchases of $25 or more made within the last 120 days
• Points will be worth more when you redeem against any eligible priceline.com transaction
There's nothing you need to do, the benefits will be added automatically.
Stay tuned for more information about these exciting upgrades to your account.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
Just got an email from Barclays about my Priceline card. Sounds like Arrival+ with the specialized Priceline bonus and without the annual fee...?

• Get 10% of your points back when you redeem for statement credits on purchases at priceline.com and on other travel purchases
• Redeem points for statement credits against any purchases of $25 or more made within the last 120 days
• Points will be worth more when you redeem against any eligible priceline.com transaction
I've been curious if it means that. It certainly sounds like the folks with the 2% version will start getting 2.2% back flat on travel redemptions without an annual fee.

I had sock drawer'ed my fido amex and priceline 2% and put nearly everything on my Freedom/CSP but this might get me putting all the non-bonus category spending back on the priceline. Yes I should have been doing that anyway, but I didn't want to carry/use 3 cards.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dukerau

This isn't a bad deal.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, WF, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
This isn't a bad deal.
That's a super deal! I just redeemed against Priceline NYOP purchase of $64, and each point for those redemptions now worth a whopping 1.5 cents (instead of 1.1 cents), and then you get another 10% in points on top of that, that means each point now worth 1.67 cents!
And this also means that I'm earning 3.33 cents on all the purchases
and 8.33 cents on Priceline NYOP!
On top with no foreign transaction, it becomes even better than my JCB Marukai Premium 3% cashback everywhere card.
This becomes a king of "cashback everywhere" cards!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Thanks for the notes. The completion of the changeover mentioned on the email was posted in one of the statements earlier this year (if you are paperless you may not have seen it unless you looked at the PDF).

You can use the Arrival thread to see what types of merchants accept the card. I was able to use it for a car service purchase (as I didn't focus on this card for non-Priceline travel before). Looks like most travel merchants coded properly (within their list) work fine. Just don't worry about all the chip and PIN or no-PIN or AF aspects discussed with the Arrival card.

My suggestion is to stick to priceline-labeled purchases (Express or true prepaid/bid) for best value, but then redeem toward merchants labeled correctly on the charge to avoid the 10 percent disappointment.

Rasheed
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, WF, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by rasheed

My suggestion is to stick to priceline-labeled purchases (Express or true prepaid/bid) for best value, but then redeem toward merchants labeled correctly on the charge to avoid the 10 percent disappointment.

Rasheed
You better redeem towards Priceline, because then, each point is 1.5 cents + 10% bonus. They also allow partial redemtions right now, so if you don't have enough points, you can do partial redemption against any purchase.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Anyone know if it's possible to book some sort of refundable purchase on Priceline which these points can be credited against for 1.5cents/points+10%? This 3.33% is INSANE.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by tymothy
Anyone know if it's possible to book some sort of refundable purchase on Priceline which these points can be credited against for 1.5cents/points+10%? This 3.33% is INSANE.
This would be abusive and the easiest way for the program to get destroyed. There was already a loophole for a number of years where points were not subtracted for merchant refunds. It was fixed recently, but probably only got fixed because of people taking advantage of it at significant levels (not just small refunds).

This is not a personal attack, but essentially you are looking at charges where Priceline is the charging merchant and those are primarily the non-refundable stuff/prepaid.

Rasheed
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rasheed
This would be abusive and the easiest way for the program to get destroyed. There was already a loophole for a number of years where points were not subtracted for merchant refunds. It was fixed recently, but probably only got fixed because of people taking advantage of it at significant levels (not just small refunds).

This is not a personal attack, but essentially you are looking at charges where Priceline is the charging merchant and those are primarily the non-refundable stuff/prepaid.

Rasheed
I'm just figuring out the boundaries. I suppose I could always book things for family members if I've got a lot to cash out. No abusive MSing, just putting legit heavy charges on it. An lightly trafficked fatwallet thread seems to indicate you get the biggest redemption rate since the recent 10% bonus change for any NYOP/express deal purchase, and if I'm reading it correctly, any Priceline.com purchase over $800. Does this still hold? I don't use NYOP and want to see if I could direct an international flight or hotel booking to Priceline to cash out my rewards. If I can, brilliant.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by tymothy
I'm just figuring out the boundaries. I suppose I could always book things for family members if I've got a lot to cash out. No abusive MSing, just putting legit heavy charges on it. An lightly trafficked fatwallet thread seems to indicate you get the biggest redemption rate since the recent 10% bonus change for any NYOP/express deal purchase, and if I'm reading it correctly, any Priceline.com purchase over $800. Does this still hold? I don't use NYOP and want to see if I could direct an international flight or hotel booking to Priceline to cash out my rewards. If I can, brilliant.
No, not for over $800, but for every priceline purchase, here is an example:
Partial redemptions also help a lot.

Last edited by yugi; Mar 29, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.