Priceline Visa - 2% cashback everywhere?

Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Amex Centurion
For old-timers who still use this card, I have sad news: Priceline is no longer issuing cards with William Shatner on the front, stiff-arming the bad guys to negotiate a good deal for us. I just got a replacement card in the mail with a boring plain blue theme. I called customer service, and they confirmed it was no longer possible to get the card with his picture.

I'm not kidding. This really disappointed me. It's nearing a decade of grins from waiters, waitresses and bar-tenders when they saw that card. If there were no longer a marketing deal between Shatner and Priceline I would get it. But according some news articles, they just re-upped.

If anyone else is feeling this pain, or wants to help me lead a charge with pitchforks, let me know
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham
Originally Posted by pedro colizzle
For old-timers who still use this card, I have sad news: Priceline is no longer issuing cards with William Shatner on the front, stiff-arming the bad guys to negotiate a good deal for us. I just got a replacement card in the mail with a boring plain blue theme. I called customer service, and they confirmed it was no longer possible to get the card with his picture.

I'm not kidding. This really disappointed me. It's nearing a decade of grins from waiters, waitresses and bar-tenders when they saw that card. If there were no longer a marketing deal between Shatner and Priceline I would get it. But according some news articles, they just re-upped.

If anyone else is feeling this pain, or wants to help me lead a charge with pitchforks, let me know
I think that the 2x card was introduced in 2011. I was very lucky to get it in 2012, and I still have the card with William Shatner on it. It will expire in 2020. My AUs already got cards without him quite a while ago. This is a great card!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pedro colizzle

My recent replacement card is also Shatner-less, and I feel your pain.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Aside from airfare at 1.5 + 10% redemption, it seems cruises (specifically the MCC for: "STEAMSHIP AND CRUISE LINES") is also 1.5 regardless of where it was bought from -- was there any other travel categories aside from airfare and cruises that are non-Priceline labeled charges that are included? Car rentals and hotels, non-Priceline, are a no.

Every airline MCC appears to work, and I have used that frequently.

I am going to ask an obvious question, aside from the legacy aspect for those who have the 2x on all non-Priceline spend, is the CSR, Citi Costco, Altitude or other cards better for travel? I can't see as such. Perhaps if you convert to a currency via UR, miles or hotels and get some great redemption, but I am not seeing it.

I did book some overseas travel, and it was very satisfying to just redeem paid tickets so easily at get at least 3.448% back from points earned on a regular item purchase.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham
Originally Posted by rasheed
Aside from airfare at 1.5 + 10% redemption, it seems cruises (specifically the MCC for: "STEAMSHIP AND CRUISE LINES") is also 1.5 regardless of where it was bought from -- was there any other travel categories aside from airfare and cruises that are non-Priceline labeled charges that are included? Car rentals and hotels, non-Priceline, are a no.

Every airline MCC appears to work, and I have used that frequently.

I am going to ask an obvious question, aside from the legacy aspect for those who have the 2x on all non-Priceline spend, is the CSR, Citi Costco, Altitude or other cards better for travel? I can't see as such. Perhaps if you convert to a currency via UR, miles or hotels and get some great redemption, but I am not seeing it.

I did book some overseas travel, and it was very satisfying to just redeem paid tickets so easily at get at least 3.448% back from points earned on a regular item purchase.
How do you get 3.448%? I calculated it to be 3.333%.
I think Altitude is better alternative, because it's 4.5% on (almost) everything, however, in order to break even, compared to Priceline you will need to spend $6428 per year. On the other hand I was getting 5000 retention bonus every year, which offsets $75 AF. Another few alternatives are Amex BBP and CNB Crystal, which, if you have 3 AUs, is $600 net positive and gives 3x (up to 4.05%) for travel, gas, groceries and restaurants. I only use Priceline card now if Amex is not accepted, or when I need to make foreign currency purchase online, or in person, if Altitude can't be used via mobile wallet.
For travel only I prefer to use either Citi Prestige (5x airline, restaurants and travel agencies, 3x on hotels and cruises), or CSR (other travel). Amex Platinum is good for airfare, but I'm planning to cancel it. Citi Premier is also pretty good for travel and gas (3x), which is probably the best $95 AF travel card. And I'm getting some sort of retention offers on this card 4 years in a row.
Is NYOP also redeemable for 1.5c + 10%? I haven't booked any NYOP hotels in a while. I know that hotels booked through Priceline (whether prepaid or Express Deals) are 1.5c + 10%.

Last edited by yugi; Aug 1, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I have both the legacy version of this card, as well as the CNB Crystal Visa. I think it's totally worth having one of the high AF cards in addition to this one. CNB's Crystal Visa worked for us, since we will easily make up the AF in airline incidentals, and we travel as a pair a lot domestically, so we qualify for $100 off each pair of round trip tickets thru Visa's portal. Add onto that the priority pass, primary CDW coverage, and the other benefits... and it's a no-brainer. We will easily make up the AF.

CNB's card is 4.05% back on the 3x categories when you redeem for airfare with the concierge. That gives it a slight advantage over the Priceline Visa, so I use the Crystal for the bonus categories and put any other spend on the Priceline card.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:40 am

Yes, all Express Deals and NYOP are still 5x (airfare is back in the Express Deals and car/hotel continue to be available). Basically, when Priceline is the merchant on record, you will get the bonus. There is even talk of Priceline site purchases of travel insurance and such counting for the bonuses.

I think there is some good feedback here on Altitude and Crystal. These cards continue to tempt me, no doubt. I appreciate the honesty that Crystal and Altitude are not good for every category spend.

I will mention a few things. I still accumulate most of my points for the Priceline card though non-bonus categories (everyday purchases that are never in any categories such as insurance, utility bills, tax bills, etc.). I think a mobile wallet is useful for many in-person purchases, but not often enough can I tap with my phone (although, it continues to improve). I have many 4-5% cards for gas, grocery, restaurants, online shopping, entertainment, etc. so the "remaining" purchases tend to be ones more difficult to get bonuses beyond a base rebate rate.

I have lost interest though in using points via a travel booking concierge. I don't find that I can replicate some of the ticket deals found via OTAs. This may not be true in most cases, but I admit I am being a bit pickier on redemption options. So, hence why I have not been enamored by CSR and related travel reward cards. I can see though those cards that allow 5x on travel earnings being much better (if the redemption is straight forward on those earned points). I would never use a travel booking concierge tool for hotel or cars though. Leaving too many points and deals on the table for those areas.

As far as my rebate calculation, here is one example close to an actual purchase I did. Appreciate the correction for errors.

$818.08 international plane ticket (+1636 points earned on purchase)
Redemption -54539 points
10% travel bonus earned +5454 points
Net points to redeem $818.08 item: 47449 points
At 2x points for each $1 spent (non-Priceline 5x spend), that is 3.448% I believe. I think you have to consider the points earned on the purchase because if you redeem through a concierge, I don't believe you earn points for the redemption part even if the travel contractor is buying the ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I don't typically consider the points earned on redemption as part of the cash back, which I think is where the difference is coming from.

Priceline's legacy Visa is the one of the best, if not the very best, non-category spend credit card that's been available in recent memory. 3.3% cash back with no annual fee is just bonkers. That's why I put up with Barclays and their ridiculously poor customer service; the card is just that good.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
Yes, all Express Deals and NYOP are still 5x (airfare is back in the Express Deals and car/hotel continue to be available). Basically, when Priceline is the merchant on record, you will get the bonus. There is even talk of Priceline site purchases of travel insurance and such counting for the bonuses.
I was asking about redemption against NYOP purchase. Is it the same as other travel, 1.5cpp + 10% back?

I think there is some good feedback here on Altitude and Crystal. These cards continue to tempt me, no doubt. I appreciate the honesty that Crystal and Altitude are not good for every category spend.

I will mention a few things. I still accumulate most of my points for the Priceline card though non-bonus categories (everyday purchases that are never in any categories such as insurance, utility bills, tax bills, etc.). I think a mobile wallet is useful for many in-person purchases, but not often enough can I tap with my phone (although, it continues to improve). I have many 4-5% cards for gas, grocery, restaurants, online shopping, entertainment, etc. so the "remaining" purchases tend to be ones more difficult to get bonuses beyond a base rebate rate.
It depends on a phone. With Samsung Pay you can always tap, and get 3x, cause it has an MST mode, which works with magnetic strip readers.

I have lost interest though in using points via a travel booking concierge. I don't find that I can replicate some of the ticket deals found via OTAs. This may not be true in most cases, but I admit I am being a bit pickier on redemption options. So, hence why I have not been enamored by CSR and related travel reward cards. I can see though those cards that allow 5x on travel earnings being much better (if the redemption is straight forward on those earned points). I would never use a travel booking concierge tool for hotel or cars though. Leaving too many points and deals on the table for those areas.
I recently redeemed TYP for an economy domestic flight and got 3.55cpp, and that not counting 10% points back from Rewards+ card, with that it would be 3.9cpp.

As far as my rebate calculation, here is one example close to an actual purchase I did. Appreciate the correction for errors.

$818.08 international plane ticket (+1636 points earned on purchase)
Redemption -54539 points
10% travel bonus earned +5454 points
Net points to redeem $818.08 item: 47449 points
At 2x points for each $1 spent (non-Priceline 5x spend), that is 3.448% I believe. I think you have to consider the points earned on the purchase because if you redeem through a concierge, I don't believe you earn points for the redemption part even if the travel contractor is buying the ticket.
But this works only when you redeem and book at the same time.If you just purchase something, then it's 3.33%. In this case, AR is 1.57cpp, or 4.71% cashback, cause you can earn and redeem at the same time. But I'm usually not doing this, cause I just cashout points, and then cancel the booking.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I was asking about redemption against NYOP purchase. Is it the same as other travel, 1.5cpp + 10% back?
Yes, NYOP or Express Deals redemptions are 1.5 + 10% also.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:59 pm

Sigh, I might need to eat my words here, but I haven't bought an Express Deals in a few months. When I did at that time the 1.5 redemption rate plus 10% was working. However, on a recent charge (9/2019), I am not seeing the 1.5 redemption rate working. It looks like because Priceline changed their merchant description, something may have broken.
CaptainEmerson likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:26 pm

Priceline Rewards Visa -- Priceline.com Purchases No Longer Redeemable at 1.5%?

In the past, I've successfully used my Barclays Priceline Rewards Visa for 1.5% redemption against priceline.com purchases, rather than the normal 1% rate. For instance, I had a transaction this year identified as "PRICELINE*THE FAIRMON" for $176.97, for which I used 11,798 points to get a statement credit. I have done this dozens of times in the past.

This month I have a transaction for "PRICELN*HYATT REGENCY" on Oct 27th from an Express purchase on priceline.com. However, the redemption options are at the 1% rate, not the 1.5%.

I called customer service, which was useless. The claimed the transaction wasn't from priceline.com, even though it's obvious that it was, based on the transaction name and the fact that I've got a receipt. My wild guess is that priceline.com had just started reporting transactions prefixed with "PRICELN" rather than "PRICELINE", and whatever transaction-matching string Barclay is using hasn't caught up.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:50 am

Yes, this has not been fixed yet. It has been over a month now.

I agree that the issue is likely because of the change in spelling. I have spoken directly with Barclays rewards team in India and they don't know when the software update will be done. It could be soon or a few months. They also dislike doing all of the manual redemptions because of the broken system.

I also agree that Barclays main email and phone support is useless.

Here is what I suggest if the transaction is about to hit 120 days or so, call phone support and say you need to have a case ticket created with the rewards team. Go through and provide the transaction details, indicate that the redemption amount is wrong online and needs to be 1.5x value. I can assure you the actual rewards team knows how to do the right calculation including the 10% bonus on top. It may take 6 weeks before you hear back.

Next, please send an informational note to executive support at Priceline. executive.services@ priceline.com

Provide the important details including why you think it broke plus your billing address (acct number not needed). Insist that their Priceline manager who deals with Juniper (aka Barclays) push this issue to get resolved. I was thinking that the Executive support wasn't believing me when I reported it and told them it must be broken for everyone. More reports has to help. We know the actual fix is not hard, but we have no idea how junky the reward system was coded.

It is strange because 5x earning still seems to be working. Perhaps everyone else redeems for airfare or cruises.
CaptainEmerson likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:13 pm

Hit the same issue today. Express deal redemption not working at 1.5% rate. I just sent a secure message to them and will probably get the standard "researching" reply

I knew FT would have the answer and I was right .

I will give it a few days before escalating it as I have quite a few days before hitting the 120 day cut-off.

P.S. - Is creating a case the only way to get 1.5% redemption value at this time ?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:41 pm

I recently redeemed for a flight at 1.5cpp + 10% back

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.