Priceline Visa - 2% cashback everywhere?

Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:05 pm

any updates on Priceline visa?

Sounds like the best available deal for a non-Am Ex with ongoing cash back, but I'm still confused a bit on how this works. If I spend $3000 in a given month, for example, can I just go online after the statement closes and simply redeem for a $60 statement credit (2%) to be applied to that $3000 bill so that I only need to pay $2940? Or is it more complicated due to the provision that "Cardmembers may redeem points for a statement credit toward any purchase transaction that posts to the Account that is equal to or greater than $25"? How does the $25 purchase aspect fit in? Do I simply have to have one future purchase of $60 or more under my hypothetical? Thanks for any guidance.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
Sounds like the best available deal for a non-Am Ex with ongoing cash back, but I'm still confused a bit on how this works. If I spend $3000 in a given month, for example, can I just go online after the statement closes and simply redeem for a $60 statement credit (2%) to be applied to that $3000 bill so that I only need to pay $2940? Or is it more complicated due to the provision that "Cardmembers may redeem points for a statement credit toward any purchase transaction that posts to the Account that is equal to or greater than $25"? How does the $25 purchase aspect fit in? Do I simply have to have one future purchase of $60 or more under my hypothetical? Thanks for any guidance.
redemption is very simple; you apply points against current charges. For example, if you have a charge of $41 post and you have more then 4100 points you can use the points to pay the $41 charge.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
It is a bit more complicated.
1- First, understand that you get 2 points per dollar spent and that each point is worth .01
2- You can't redeem your points for cash back until you have 2500 points or more.
3- You do NOT get a simple statement credit.
4- You have to redeem your points towards a specific purchase which is both $25.00 or more and which is less than the number of points you have. Since this is the part that is a bit confusing, let me give an example from my last statement:
I had 5918 points (which equals $59.18 cash back). So, I had enough to make a redemption. My ideal would have been to find a purchase I had made for $59.18. Purchases I had made for over $59.18 were not eligible. I had made a purchase for $57.67, so I redeemed my points for cash back against that purchase. The $57.67 is credited toward my next statement, and I had 151 points (= to $1.51) left over. The leftover points do rollover to the next month.

So, it's not as simple as getting a straight statement credit.

I do not know if I would have been able to redeem against two purchases. For example, if I had a $25.00 purchase and a $34.00 purchase, could I have redeemed my points and gotten credit for both? There is a thread on fatwallet about this card. I may need to ask this question over there:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1125529/

On the other hand, they are prompt. My 5000 bonus points from my initial use of the card and the 918 points from my purchases posted the day after my statement closed.

All in all I am satisfied with this card, and it now my #2 card with the AMEX Blue Cash being # 1 as I get 6% cash back on so many purchases with it.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:51 am

I recently got the Priceline Visa card and was disappointed.

I had to make a large Priceline bid, so I applied for the Priceline Visa, which advertised that it could be used "immediately" for bids after an instant approval. And sure enough, for a couple of days, I was able to use the Visa for a few unsuccessful bids. But suddenly access to my Visa was shut down, and the Priceline web site wouldn't allow me to use the new card withhout giving them the account number and CVC code, which I didn't yet have! I contacted both Priceline and Visa, and they both told me I had to wait for my new card to arrive in the mail, which they told me could take up to ten days. They refused to give me the information over the phone, and my trip was in two days.

I finally had to use my Discover card to make an ultimately successful $1,000+ Priceline bid. Because Visa didn't honor its promise that I could use the card "immediately" for Priceline bidding, I asked them to make good on their promise, and credit my account with the 5,000+ points I would have gotten if they had let me use their card for my Priceline bidding. Nope, said Visa.

BOTTOM LINE: Do not take their word that their card will be available to you "immediately" for Priceline bidding. Assume that it will take two weeks for the card to arrive.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by BBRebozo
BOTTOM LINE: Do not take their word that their card will be available to you "immediately" for Priceline bidding. Assume that it will take two weeks for the card to arrive.
My experience is that Barclays takes one to two weeks to get cards to us, so I am not surprised. Sorry that you weren't able to use the card the way you thought you would.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:29 pm

Barclays Priceline 2%

Folks

Can someone explain the redemption scheme for the 2% visa? it is so confusing and even customer service cant explain it very well.. To be honest, i dont consider a straight 2% because you have to keep buying something bigger than 2500pts to be able to redeem the points. Say in order to redeem 40,000 pts, I have to make a purchase of $400 even to redeem it, if i go over $400, i loose my chance to redeem it? CS tells me that in order to redeem in full, i have to accumulate 400,000 points..
Please explain.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:33 am

You can redeem in increments of 2,500 points AKA $25, which is actually very reasonable considering the other 2% cash back card, the Fidelity American Express makes you redeem in increments of $50.

Having said that, yes the charges you redeem for have to be at least $25. You can't have say 10 $20 charges for a total of $200 and redeem 20,000 points. But you also don't need the full amount of points in order to redeem against a charge. If you only have 20,000 points, for example, but you have a $400 charge, you can redeem the 20,000 points for $200 against that charge. Not sure why the customer representative is giving you such wrong information.

In any case, consider yourself lucky for getting the card since a couple weeks ago, I discovered that they stopped offering 2% cash back on the Priceline Rewards Visa:

http://weddingspend.com/2013/05/25/p...s-2-cash-back/
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:53 am

What i do is let the points accumalate to say 50k and use AP or GW to charge $500. I then redeem the 50k points to cover the $500 charge. Basically redeeming for cash rather than redeeming it on a prior puchase.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
I love this card. It is my go-to card when I am not trying to make minimum spend on another card. I found it very easy to use the points. Just find a charge that is $25 or more and use your points to delete this charge off of your cc bill.

This card is actually more useful that the Capital One Venture, in that you can use the points against any charge, not just a travel expense.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Isn't this card about to be discontinued?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:26 pm
wcj

Im not sure why this is manufactured spend? But the card thread is here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...verywhere.html
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:05 pm

"b) Earn one (1) point for every dollar spent on all other transactions"
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
"b) Earn one (1) point for every dollar spent on all other transactions"
Where do you see this? I've had the card for a year and have gotten 2 points for every purchase I've made.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by onthego15
Where do you see this? I've had the card for a year and have gotten 2 points for every purchase I've made.
If you click the link in post #1, these are the current terms:
a) five (5) points per one dollar ($1) on "Name Your Own Price" transactions made online at priceline.com.
b) one (1) points per one dollar ($1) spent on all other transactions.

I have both the older 1x / 2x Priceline card, and the more recent 2x / 5x Priceline card. Both of them remain on the terms when I opened the card.

For now, it just seems that new customers can't get the 2x offer.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by chrisj500
If you click the link in post #1, these are the current terms:
a) five (5) points per one dollar ($1) on "Name Your Own Price" transactions made online at priceline.com.
b) one (1) points per one dollar ($1) spent on all other transactions.

I have both the older 1x / 2x Priceline card, and the more recent 2x / 5x Priceline card. Both of them remain on the terms when I opened the card.

For now, it just seems that new customers can't get the 2x offer.
I see. Indeed they have changed the terms for new applications. Fortunately they are still giving 2% for my old card..

Last edited by onthego15; Jun 8, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.