Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babypuwet
hi guys, just applied for my first alaska airlines credit card and unfortunately was approved for the platinum with $2,500 credit line. I have a 750 credit score, and have not have a problem with other banks giving me a higher credit line. Can I call BoA and request reconsideration for the visa signature version? Thanks
For starters, we need to know whether you have any other credit cards with BofA, and if so what the credit limits on those are.

As to the procedure: You might try searching this thread for the word "platinum". This has been discussed many times before. As I recall, it's not simple and takes a while.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:45 pm

hi guys, just applied for my first alaska airlines credit card and unfortunately was approved for the platinum with $2,500 credit line. I have a 750 credit score, and have not have a problem with other banks giving me a higher credit line. Can I call BoA and request reconsideration for the visa signature version? Thanks
Do you have any negatives on any of your reports? Sometimes one negative can kill you CL. Do you have a income? I can't remember what the application asks specifically but you may want to use your household income if you're married and have a lower income.

The above isn't anything specific to BOA just random thoughts
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:56 pm

Any advise please.

Originally Posted by mak101
I read last few pages and still confuse about closing current accounts before applying new card. So let me ask again, I have 3 open personal cards and 2 open buss cards since last July. I already requested to reduce my limits to 2 K on each of them last month and it has been reduced. Should I close all (or some) cards before applying new 1 personal and 1 buss card?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read last few pages and still confuse about closing current accounts before applying new card. So let me ask again, I have 3 open personal cards and 2 open buss cards since last July. I already requested to reduce my limits to 2 K on each of them last month and it has been reduced. Should I close all (or some) cards before applying new 1 personal and 1 buss card?
Any advise please.
There's not likely to be many people in your situation to report whether that would work, because most people are proactively cancelling cards before they get to that point.

So my simple "advice" would be: Why not cancel some of them? (But probably not all at the same time !)

(Lower counts of open cards happen to those of us who only get one personal card at a time. There is a fewer number of people getting two at a time, and only those people are likely to be in the situation you're in. By the time us one-at-a-time people get our third or at most fourth AS card, the oldest card is hitting one year and cancelling for the 2nd year annual fee as a reason is a no brainer.)

In other words, you should have been cancelling one every once in a while all along. I'm not sure how quickly you should cancel how many if you're planning to apply soon.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:07 am

Well, it's a shame you didn't read back a bunch of pages on this thread before applying. B of A frequently does this, for no apparent reason. The best procedure is to apply during business hours on a weekday. Then if you get approved for a lessor card, immediately apply again. The second app will almost always be denied or go pending as a "duplicate". Then you call Recon and tell them you only want one card, and to please approve the second app as a Sig and cancel the plat. You almost always end up with a Sig and only one HP.

I'd say your best bet now is to call Recon and cancel the new card, as you don't want to pay the AF for it, and getting it exchanged for a Sig is more trouble than it's worth. And I say that from experience, having done that twice.

Then in a week or so, apply again, using the procedure I wrote about above. It's another HP, but that can't be helped at this point. And probably not that big a deal, unless you are about to apply for a Chase CSP or Freedom.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There's not likely to be many people in your situation to report whether that would work, because most people are proactively cancelling cards before they get to that point.

So my simple "advice" would be: Why not cancel some of them? (But probably not all at the same time !)

(Lower counts of open cards happen to those of us who only get one personal card at a time. There is a fewer number of people getting two at a time, and only those people are likely to be in the situation you're in. By the time us one-at-a-time people get our third or at most fourth AS card, the oldest card is hitting one year and cancelling for the 2nd year annual fee as a reason is a no brainer.)

In other words, you should have been cancelling one every once in a while all along. I'm not sure how quickly you should cancel how many if you're planning to apply soon.
Thanks for the response. Now I am cancelling 1 personal and 1 buss card now and 1 personal next week and I will apply 1 personal and 1 buss sometime next month.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Odd verbiage during chat to cancel

"For Inactive & Customer Requested Closures ONLY: Unfortunately, you'll lose any rewards associated with this account. Would you like me to redeem your rewards now ? If so you will need to contact 1.800.654.5669"

I could see this inducing many to keep the card, thinking BOA would claw back any earned rewards.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:41 pm

I couldn't get approved for a visa signature but got approved for the lower visa (2500 CL). My credit score recently did get hit due to a few late payments in a row. (old gym membership that I cancelled and forgot about the card).
But I just applied for the BA chase card and got approved along with the barclays card. Is it because of my lack of relationship with BoA or just my credit score?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by jt58203
Rep said it was for BankAmericard Travel Rewards card with no annual fee and that my $75 Alaska Airline card renewal fee would be erased if I switched. I just wasn't interested.
Was it the BankAmericard® Better Balance Rewards card? Reading earlier, people used to product change to this card to keep the AAOC going and also because it's possible to earn $25 cash back a quarter by paying the bill on time.

Anyone with experience with this? Not going to make you rich but not bad for a dresser drawer card.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by New to FF
Was it the BankAmericard® Better Balance Rewards card? Reading earlier, people used to product change to this card to keep the AAOC going and also because it's possible to earn $25 cash back a quarter by paying the bill on time.

Anyone with experience with this? Not going to make you rich but not bad for a dresser drawer card.
There's a separate thread for that:
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
"For Inactive & Customer Requested Closures ONLY: Unfortunately, you'll lose any rewards associated with this account. Would you like me to redeem your rewards now ? If so you will need to contact 1.800.654.5669"

I could see this inducing many to keep the card, thinking BOA would claw back any earned rewards.
AFAIK, with any co-brand card (meaning one issuing miles/points for a business other than the bank itself) there is only one case where canceling a card will result in a loss of m/ps. That is if you have recently charged on the card, but the m/ps haven't been deposited in your m/ps account yet. Once the m/ps from all of the charges to your card show up in your AS (or whatever) account, they are safe and will not be clawed back by the card issuer.

Two exceptions:

If you tried some stunt like buying a refundable ticket, getting the miles, getting a refund for the ticket and then immediately canceling the card, they might claw back the miles. Miles from legitimate charges will not be clawed back.

AS itself has lately closed a few accounts for people who opened a bunch of AS cards in a short time, without spending much on them, and without actually flying AS.

This however is not a claw back by the bank, and would have nothing to do with canceling the card. It's done by AS itself if they think you are trying to game the system. Get one card every 3 months, cancel it around 6 months out before applying for a third card, and you should be fine.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:27 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Applied for a personal card last week, it was initial only approved for the lower visa card. I called and asked the rep to allocate credit from another Alaska card to approve me for the signature visa with 25K bonus. It was granted and I was informed that even though I will receive the lower visa card first, the signature visa will follow in about 45 days, once the transition has been completed. At that point, I will also receive 25K miles.

I was happy and thought nothing of it. Today, I received 2 letters from BoA.

Letter one states that I was approved for $4k and transferred additional credit over.

Letter two (from the rewards department) states that "we're unable to add the additional enrollment bonus miles you requested. the AA 25K miles promotion is only valid for new Signature accounts opened in-flight, or through the call transfer program"

I assume that this is automated and probably generated prior to my upgrade to Sig Visa.

Just want to see if anyone else has encountered the same letters and what the outcomes were.
This was my 3rd card...I had received 1 personal (Aug) and 1 biz (Sep) both automatically approved.

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htang333
Letter two (from the rewards department) states that "we're unable to add the additional enrollment bonus miles you requested. the AA 25K miles promotion is only valid for new Signature accounts opened in-flight, or through the call transfer program"
Does the letter really have that typo?

And if not, are you really telling us what the letter said word for word (other than that typo)?

Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:36 pm
rev

Originally Posted by htang333
I assume that this is automated and probably generated prior to my upgrade to Sig Visa.

Just want to see if anyone else has encountered the same letters and what the outcomes were.
I can't say as long as I've been following this thread I've heard of an automated letter claiming you won't be awarded additional miles from the Sig version after a rep changed the credit line.

My only worry is how easy it sounded to get a <$5k limit overturned to a Sig by a rep and be told you'll get your 25k points just like that. Historically that method has been a big hassle for FTers, as opposed to the alternate two-app method RobertHanson explained in an earlier post. Check out this and this post by Brugge. Sound like your scenario? Then you may have a chance.

Unfortunately many posters have asked this question but very few come back with data points of the results. My guess is they gave up on the process or couldn't get a rep to overturn it before even attempting one HUCA. Some have posted success, but without a 1-2 months wait, more contact with BofA, and/or another HP.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:24 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does the letter really have that typo?

And if not, are you really telling us what the letter said word for word (other than that typo)?

Nope, i got lazy on the AA - Alaska Airlines...my mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.